Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Profanity (in general) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Profanity (in general)
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, thanks for the link. And in Texas too! Please tell me it works?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, Canadian. Does "frell" really capture how you feel? My grandmother used to tell us to say "fiddle dee dee." Much as I love her, it never was a really good substitute for any healthy cuss word. Too long, for one thing!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, I do use "turkey" and "fart" as subs when I need to (although "fart" is definitely not very ladylike and gets me some glances).
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wannabersc
Member # 2960

- posted      Profile for wannabersc   Email wannabersc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Show me another word that carries the emotional impact of the "F" word.KE

C-word, man. Use that in mixed company & watch all the chicks just go ballistic. [Eek!]

1) Yep

2) Sometimes

3) Anywhere the choice may be a nice, calming, guttural curse or a swift rap in the mouth.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's got the punch, but not the utility.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Having been called one, I'd say yeah, it's got the punch! But KE's right -- not the utility.
wannabersc
Member # 2960

- posted      Profile for wannabersc   Email wannabersc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Granted.

Odd. Why is one set of genitalia off limits, and the other is my middle name?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1)Yes
2)Often

As with all language, "swearing," "cursing," "profanity," et. al. are merely tools to communicate, and their appropriateness depends on the environment as Koner pointed out.

The bulk of "bad words" is best described as vulgar, and is defined as:

quote:
The word vulgar now brings to mind off-color jokes and offensive epithets, but it once had more neutral meanings. Vulgar is an example of pejoration, the process by which a word develops negative meanings over time. The ancestor of vulgar, the Latin word vulgris (from vulgus, “the common people”), meant “of or belonging to the common people, everyday,” as well as “belonging to or associated with the lower orders.” Vulgris also meant “ordinary,” “common (of vocabulary, for example),” and “shared by all.” An extension of this meaning was “sexually promiscuous,” a sense that could have led to the English sense of “indecent.” Our word, first recorded in a work composed in 1391, entered English during the Middle English period, and in Middle English and later English we find not only the senses of the Latin word mentioned above but also related senses. What is common may be seen as debased, and in the 17th century we begin to find instances of vulgar that make explicit what had been implicit. Vulgar then came to mean “deficient in taste, delicacy, or refinement.” From such uses vulgar has continued to go downhill, and at present “crudely indecent” is among the commonest senses of the word.
Vulgar basically is by definition the way normal people talk. Perjoration of vulgar speech is at best a dislike of people who make the faux paus of using the wrongs tools at the wrong time, and at worst cultural eliteism (dont talk like that; you're better than those people).

People who look down their nose at others because they use certain words are no better than people of who do the same because they're not wearing fashionable clothes. Why not be offended by something that matters?

[ July 27, 2006, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Adam Lassek ]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Lassek:
Why not be offended by something that matters?

Well said, Adam.
cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by wannabersc:
Granted.

Odd. Why is one set of genitalia off limits, and the other is my middle name?

A. One is seen and the other isn't? That would explain why we can call someone a "boob." However, wasn't there a character on Andy Griffith named "Cooter"?

B. One is protected and the other isn't?

I really don't know. Any other theories?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page