Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Examples of successful diplomacy in armed conflicts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Examples of successful diplomacy in armed conflicts
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some help. Does anyone know when diplomacy has solved different nations' armed conflicts without a decisive military victory preceeding the treaty? I could use some specific examples.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is one I turned up with Google:

The Measure of Diplomacy

Some things really need to be defined in the question:

1. What is successful?
2. What types of diplomacy? To end a war?

[ July 25, 2006, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost every armed conflict is ENDED with diplomacy. The question is how many have been avoided by diplomacy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, now that I reread the title, I guess I can assume the following?:

1. Successful means that the armed conflict stopped and did not resume
2. Diplomacy intended to do #1

Is that correct?

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Javelin, thank you for reframing the question. You are correct.

The question is ultimately, has a "peace broker" ever stepped in to an armed conflict resulting in both sides ceasing war against each other? The only treaties I have record of being effective are those signed after a decisive military victory, being imposed on the loser of that conflict.

[ July 25, 2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just mentioned the Cuban Missile crisis in another thread.

To be fair, you should also look to the opposite and then, perhaps, compare the amount of incidences of each for a quasi-mathematical proof of which works better than the other.

The opposite being what wars turned out even worse had the diplomats not drawn it out before it began.

Think Chamberlin and "peace in our time". How many could have been saved had they nipped Hitler in the bud in the early 1930's?

On that note, how many have suffered due to diplomatic and "world" pressure limiting a conflict? Meaning, had the stronger party been able to just go in and utterly annihilate the opposing army and end the conflict quickly, would it have ultimately saved lives?

Just thinking out loud here, so to speak.

I guess I wasn't done thinking out loud, more on that:

For examples, what if we deposed Sadam in 1991 instead of the 12 yrs of containing him and all the embargos and such that were, in some cases literally, starving the most needy and poorest in Iraq?

What about N. Korea. Look at the sorry state of those people. How many die monthly, yearly, there - not that anyone in the west knows. How many of those people would be saved by many soldiers losing their lives? Not to mention Seoul getting leveled.

You see, it's never such a clean and easy trade off. You might save the soldiers lives - which I can only thank you since I am still breathing, yet how many of those most needy are getting the shaft so we can sit around patting ourselves on our backs for averting war?

For the low-guy on the totem pole, he's often times just as dead from the diplomatic solution as from the military one. Which one takes longer to kill, by the way?

[ July 25, 2006, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: jm0397 ]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There hae been 'draws' in the game of war, where there was no decisive victor, but lasting peace was established. The war of 1813 comes to mind. The Korean war, though not officially ended, is an ongoing diplomatic work in progress. It also was essentially a stalemate.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hitler got a lot of rope in the beginning because people saw him as rectifying in part the gross injustices of the Treaty of Versailles which ended World War I.

The flaw in many "nipped in the bud" arguments is that they depend on hindsight. When Fidel Castro began a revolution in Cuba, he was trying to overthrow a government about as bad as he said it was. However he behaved later, he began with considerable popular support. Stamping on popular movements is not the democratic ideal.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the San Juan Island Pig War.

San Juan Island Pig War

Although how they could find in favour of the US escapes me.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

We were cuter - everyone likes babies. [Big Grin]
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DonaldD,

I presume that you mean the War of 1812 right? Yes, that appears to be an example where a treaty has resulted in a lasting peace between the beligerants that was negotiated in the best interests of both parties. After a brief refamiliarization it even appears to have been a negotiated settlement not forced by one side having the upper hand over the other, but I haven't dug deeply yet into the details of the Treaty of Ghent and how it came about so I could be wrong.

Concerning the Korean War cease fire, there have been many incidents both on the border and in the waters off the coastlines in the decades since. There still exists a technical state of war, though with the exception of those incidents it has not been a shooting war since the cease fire was put in place. While South Korea has moved on and flourished socialy and economically, North Korea has never moved on and its people are still paying the price. Did the negotiation of that cease fire effectively condemn the inhabitants of North Korea to generations of privation? I don't know if things would have been different had the war gone on to a military conclusion. In this case the negotiated settlement, while stoping the shooting conflict for decades so far, did not resolve the underlying issues and thus there is constant tension and great potential for it to boil up again. Plus the people of North Korea have been paying the price for their governments paranoia ever since.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1813??? Who the heck put the "3" key beside the "2" key? [Mad]

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it. Typos happen. I didn't take the time to think and just typed war of 1813 into google to get a refresher and got references to the Creek Indian War of 1813--1814 before I realized that you probably meant the War of 1812 and just typed 1813 by accident.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also, that war has as much right to be called "of 1813" as it does "1812". 14 and 15 too...
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

Yes, but most Americans learned about it as the War of 1812 in our high school and College U.S. History classes. I saw it referenced as the War of 1812--1814 when I was quickly refreshing my memory about the basics earlier today, but that is the first time I have heard it called anything but the War of 1812.
DonaldD
Member # 1052

Up here, we like to call it "the war of American aggression, until we opened up a can of whup-ass on 'em"
Brainard
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for Brainard   Email Brainard       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DonaldD:
Up here, we like to call it "the war of American aggression, until we opened up a can of whup-ass on 'em"

Oh yeah, well 54'40" or fight!!!
Posts: 47 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Work:
While South Korea has moved on and flourished socialy and economically, North Korea has never moved on and its people are still paying the price. Did the negotiation of that cease fire effectively condemn the inhabitants of North Korea to generations of privation? I don't know if things would have been different had the war gone on to a military conclusion. In this case the negotiated settlement, while stoping the shooting conflict for decades so far, did not resolve the underlying issues and thus there is constant tension and great potential for it to boil up again. Plus the people of North Korea have been paying the price for their governments paranoia ever since.

This is the first I've ever heard of the cease-fire being responsible for Kim Jong-Il's utter madness and North Korea's Orwellian society and attendant poverty.

I mean, the fortelling of Kim Jong-Il's birth by a swallow, the double rainbow, and the new star in the heavens (according to the official biography) is strange enough, but to blame North Korea's problems on the cease-fire terms rather than Mr. Wacky Man Himself on the Throne and totalitarian communism is going way too far, in my not so humble opinion. Exactly what kind of kaleidoscope are you seeing this stuff through?

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be argued that the Korea ceasefire saved South Korea from communist rule, or that it saved mainland China from a US-led invasion and possible nuclear war. Playing "what-if" games with history is a fun exercise, but I think Dave at Work's pushing it a bit if he's trying to claim that crazy-ass insane dictators who rise to power decades after a war are a result of the diplomacy that ended the war. After all, getting taken over by communists doesn't automatically mean the place'll end up ran by a James Bond supervillian with a penchant for nuclear weapons research and filming his own monster movie.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

Does anybody have any examples where the US was not involved?
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the answer depends on what is meant by "decisive military victory."

Most wars of independence do not hinge on one nation taking over another, but on wearing the colonial nation down to the point where they decide it's not worth the fight anymore. That is a "victory," but I would not categorize it as "decisive."

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

Clearly, writing and editing posts hastily between tasks at work has lead me to fail to communicate clearly what I meant. Rallan and pickled both commented that I said that the ceasefire was the cause of the privations of the North Korean people. That is neither what I think nor what I thought I wrote, but since two people have read it that way I will take the time after work this evening to carefully review what I wrote and clarify it. I won't try to do it now since my workload today is even heavier than yesterday and I want to avoid a similar miscommunication this time around.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page