Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Bottled water

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bottled water
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother sees as part of her ministry, providing information to people that allows them to do small things to help protect our environment.

I thought I'd pass this email along.

"Do you buy and drink bottled water?

Switch to tap water.

Keep cleaning and refilling a single bottle.

In the process, you will:

1) Save money.

The money spent on bottled water would be enough

to fix the problems with the nation’s water supply. [1]

2) Save natural resources.

Plastics come from fossil fuels,

and it takes 500 years for one bottle to break down,

into plastic polymers that never go away. [2]

3) Save energy.

The energy needed for bottling and shipping

could power 190,000 homes. [3]

4) Save water.

The production of plastic for the bottles

and gasoline for transportation

require water!

5) Save your health, potentially.

One-third of all brands

don’t meet the clean water standards of tap water. [4]

This wrapping paper the assortment is numerous, and the species assorts with the popular vogue synchronous, the applicability of low file product in rarious senior high school is expensive, deep suffer the large businessman to like!

Consumer Reports, “Selling it: Goofs, Glitches, Gotchas”, September 2006, p. 63

Shalom!

The crazy quote above is a wonderful goof and glitch that someone sent into Consumer Reports, and they printed in this section of their magazine. It makes no sense whatsoever. I can imagine some actor reading it in a very serious voice, as though it made complete sense and contained a very important message – for after all, it does have quite a few impressive words in it – and as though we, the listeners, had something wrong with us if we didn’t hear the sense in it.

So many things we do are like this quote, and make no sense whatsoever, but like the actor seriously reading the text, we don’t see craziness in what we are doing. Drinking bottled water is one of those things. We live with clean, safe, almost free water. Not everyone in the world does. In fact, we are using up our clean water supply. In some places in the world, people either cannot access clean water, or are using up their resources. Saving water and other resources is one small way that we can make our lives more sensible and help to protect our planet.

We may think our tap water doesn’t taste good, but often our taste in water is more a matter of what we are used to. Bottled water is mainly about image; much of it is simply municipal water that has been packaged and wrapped in myths about taste and healthiness and clear mountain streams. Keep in mind, Nestles [5] bottles Poland Springs, Coca Cola bottles Desani, Pepsi bottles Aquafina, and so on.

If you really can’t deal with the taste, buy a filter for your water. You’ll notice the difference – a constant reminder about our water problems. To reduce the possibility of nasty chemicals entering your water from the bottle, it’s best to use a glass or ceramic container. In situations where only plastic will work, stick to those bottles made from #2, #4, or #5 plastic, which are the least harmful. [6]

If you want to drink tap water but have a more with-it image, you can download a colorful sticker from the PBS Web site [7] to put on your bottle of tap water. It takes money and resources to print the label, but if you put it on a bottle and keep reusing the bottle, you’ll use a lot less resources than if you bought a new bottle every time you needed you were thirsty. And maybe someone will see your smart-looking bottle and want to switch to your “brand”!

Shalom U’vrachah – Peace and blessing,

Rabbi Katy

[1] “Not Disposable Anymore,” http://www.pbs.org/pov/borders/2004/water/water_disposable.html

[2] Hold Your Water: 68 Things You Need to Know to Keep Our Planet Blue, by Wyland, p. 27.

[3] “Bottle This!” video from http://www.pbs.org/pov/borders/2004/water/water_bottle.html.

[4] “The Right to Water is the Right to Life” by Nancy Price, Friends of the Eel River, http://www.eelriver.org/cgi-bin/Publications.pl?function=article&page_id=126.

[5] Nestles, by the way, uses slave labor in harvesting cocoa for their chocolates.

[6] http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2005/01/10/umbra-bottles2/

[7] http://www.pbs.org/pov/borders/2004/water/pdf/bottlethis_labels.pdf.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've done taste tests between bottled water and tap water and most people can't tell.

Bottled water has to be the biggest racket ever. Right up there with Florida sunshine in a can.

Also, your mom and my mom would get along swimmingly. [Smile]

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy it occassionaly, because I can't lug enough nalgene bottles to work to get me through a 14 hour day unloading a truck in a desert.

I've never understood people who stock their refridgerators with 16 ounce bottles.

Ev, might want to point out to Mom that camping supply stores all stock cheap, safe, convienent hard plastic bottles at very reasonable prices [Wink]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use water bottles. They are low grade plastics, and deteriote fairly quickly. It's best to buy a bottle like a nalgene bottle (my spelling sucks on this post, sorry) that is made to last.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jav...that's what I was infering is available at camping supply stores, I should have been clearer.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
Jav...that's what I was infering is available at camping supply stores, I should have been clearer.

I actually started posting before I saw yours, and then decided to leave it, 'cause I thought it was good support for yours. [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that most bottled 'spring' water is 80% city water.

I tend to have a few gatorade bottles that I refill since they are a convenient size.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a filter for my water on my fridge. But I also happen to pretty much hate water in general as a liquid drink. I tend more towards coffee, which I tend to drink out of large aluminum cups. When Alex was still an infant we bought 2 24 bottle cases of water for when we were traveling. We used about 75% of them the rest are stored in a pantry. Otherwise, I don't remember the last time I did buy a "bottle" of water before Alex came along. When I did the Appalachian rail I had a portable water filter, iodine tabs and canteens. Not real sexy but it worked.

Why the hell would anyone pay a buck for a bottle of water unless you absolutely needed it for either medical reasons or an infant?

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally if I drink bottled water I just get it in bulk (like 28 for 4 bucks or something)

Then I throw it in my trunk for whenver I"m thirsty. [Smile]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occasionally buy bottled water if it's hot and I'm doing hard work. But the way I see it, I'm paying two bucks for a refillable bottle so I don't have to suck on a garden hose, not two bucks for ritzy-ditzy water [Smile]
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ideal delivery is to get an office-type water cooler. The five-gallon containers are washed and reused 100 times over a four-year lifetime. arrowhead water

You could ask the residents of Woburn if bottled water would have been worth it.

And I'm pretty sure that MTBE has never been found in a bottle of Dasani.

I'm a tap drinker at home, but I have to admit that I like the water from the cooler at work more than I like my tap water. If I could get water delivered at home in a reusable container, I'd probably do so.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Drake,

the cooler water is probably cooler and thus even with the exact same mineral content will taste better than your tap water.

Personally I think water from a fridge is the nastiest tasting water.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The amount of water I drink depends on where I live at the time. The studies that show that tap water tastes just as good as bottled water obviously weren't performed in some of the places I've lived (and I've never lived outside the US).
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taste can vary quite a bit with tap water. I've been a filtered jug for a while, because it gives me a consistent flavour. Now I have a fridge with a filtered water dispenser that I use. Honestly, I could manage just fine without the filter, as having cold water is the most important thing for me.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theyux
Member # 2794

- posted      Profile for theyux   Email theyux       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love bottled water.

I used to live in scottsdale, dont drink scottsdale tap water, unless you have a damn good filter. (thats why motarola got in trouble).

I usually drink tap (now im in pheonix). And thier is a huge difference. Between that and my aquafina.

To be honest, the difference isnt so much that I go out in buy it enmass. Usually after Im done working Ill buy aquafina. And walk 3 miles home in the heat.

Oh and just remember folks, water is not a scam.

Movie theatare popcorn is a scam.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true, cold beverages mask their taste. Which is why the cheapest beer must always be ice cold and the best wine should only be slightly chilled, if at all. Bottled water doesn't necessarily taste that great if its been getting hot in the trunk of your car, true enough.

Usually what I do, is if I'm going to drink a large glass of tap, I will put it over ice. Otherwise, I just pour a cup and grimace after downing it.

ngthagg- how long have you been a filtered jug? But I'm glad you have a consistent flavor. [Smile]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Storm Saxon wrote:
They've done taste tests between bottled water and tap water and most people can't tell.

I don't buy that. When you purify water and put it in a plastic bottle, it absorbs the taste of the plastic. That taste is very distinctive, I would be able to spot it anywhere.

Now, if you were comparing filtered water and tap water in glass containers, that would be much harder.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Drake wrote:
It is true, cold beverages mask their taste. Which is why the cheapest beer must always be ice cold and the best wine should only be slightly chilled, if at all. Bottled water doesn't necessarily taste that great if its been getting hot in the trunk of your car, true enough.

Be that as it may, bottled water has a strong taste at any temperature due to the plastic container. Pure water doesn't have a taste.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of tap water doesn't taste "pure" to me.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I meant to say, Adam, was commercial bottled water and tap water in a spiffy plastic bottle. Sorry to not be clear.
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

quote:
Storm Saxon Wrote:
What I meant to say, Adam, was commercial bottled water and tap water in a spiffy plastic bottle. Sorry to not be clear.

I drink a lot of water at work, and to save money instead of spending untold amounts of money on bottled water, I purchase one bottle and refill it at the water fountain. The taste of the original purified water, and the tap water I refill it with is completely different, even when I let the tap water sit in the bottle for days. I also fill it in the water dispenser in the door of my refrigerator, which uses a cheap charcoal filter. That water tastes different from other other two sources but, like the tap water, doesn't taste like plastic once stored in a bottle.

My mom has a very expensive (>$1000) water filter hooked up to her faucet, and stores filtered water in the refrigerator. At first she used plastic containers to store the water, but the purified water would taste like plastic and so she had to switch to glass containers. It's something about the purification process that makes water susceptible to absorbing the plastic taste, tap water doesn't do it nor does cheap, charcoal-filtered water.

MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's something about the purification process that makes water susceptible to absorbing the plastic taste, tap water doesn't do it nor does cheap, charcoal-filtered water.
I believe it's the mineral content. Charcoal filters out organic and reactive chemical matter but generally doesn't have much effect on minerals. A good reverse osmosis / deionizing filter unit will effectively remove everything that's not H20. The very pure water that results will quickly draw in any somewhat soluble materials that it comes in contact with.
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page