Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Leaving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leaving
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm through here for awhile. I'll not ask the moderators to unregister my name, as I hope to return here when something either here or in me has changed from its current state. That might never happen, happen tomorrow, or anyplace in between. I suspect this isn't the last I'll write here.

In the unlikely event that I don't return, I wish you all well and would like to thank you for the good conversations, advice, and friendships I've shared with many of you through the years. Anyone who wishes to contact me may do so at the e-mail or AIM provided in my profile.

Peace.

Edited to Add: My departure is surely no fault of the moderators, whose dedication to making this a better place I truly do respect, nor of any Ornerian but myself. A friend of mine suggested that I might need a time out, and I agree with him.

[ September 11, 2006, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Paladine ]

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loki
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Loki   Email Loki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a long one, mostly because just being around these people makes me feel like an idiot. Every time I want to post something I have to force myself to hit the 'Add Reply' button otherwise I overthink it and just don't post anything. Anyways, hope you come back around.
Posts: 311 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you find what you're looking for, Paladine.
Peace2U

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a recent lunch seminar I attended on “how to confront difficult situations without making things worse” the first rule was to focus on the behaviour/situation not the person. Really a kind of love the sinner but not the sin approach.
The problem I find is the difficulty in separating the two, spearing behaviour from the person. Tell me that I’m doing something wrong, said something stupid and more likely then not I’ll feel that I am wrong, stupid… my self esteem takes a big hit.
Confront someone’s behaviour and nine times out of ten the conversations moves to the person and the dialog becomes aggressively defensive….
Today’s emphasis of self esteem over self acceptance gets in the way of honest dialog… it might seem to be semantics but the change in perception does make a difference.
We are more then what others think of us, more then a single action, belief, thought, hope, work, idea, accomplishment…. If we judge ourselves by just one of those things, I am a good worthwhile person, (can have self-esteem,) because I did, I though, I believe ‘this or that’ we place ourselves in a corner where each idea, thought, accomplishment, what have you, must be defended at all costs. It becomes a matter of identity; in that moment a single behaviour becomes our identity, and our vision becomes clouded.

Strange how we allow the opinions of people who don’t really know us to have a deeper impact on how we feel about ourselves then those that actually know us.

My prime use of this forum is to help me understand what it is that I think. If others respond to what I have to say and or agree great, if not or if I come off badly that’s fine too, the focus is on what I can learn not who I am or appear to be in the eyes of others.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May Odin watch over you and Thor's might Mjolnir guard your journeys.

So much better than the pelegius farewell, but not as entertaining...ah well. Take 'er easy. And give her some frikken smoochies, too.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope to see ya around again, good luck and have a pleasant break,

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you come back soon, Paladine. I think this departure note of yours is true to how you've generally comported yourself on Ornery -- as a man of depth and honor.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sayonara, Paladine-san.
Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tashi Delek, Paladine-la.
Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A self-imposed break is I think vital and necessary from a place such as this for ones own mental well being.

That's what I've kinda been doing.

You'll be back Paladine. In the meantime, enjoy your vacation.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atlantic City, Paladine? [Wink]
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, a few weeks away from here helped me regain some perspective, and I think I'm ready to come back. It occurred to me yesterday, on what was likely my grandfather's last birthday, that life's too short to let petty and trivial things get in between you and the things you enjoy. Thanks for the kind words. [Wink]
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait - you were gone? [Razz]
Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It occurred to me yesterday, on what was likely my grandfather's last birthday, that life's too short to let petty and trivial things get in between you and the things you enjoy."

Especially the things we most enjoy here at Ornery:

"petty and trivial"

and

"things get in between"

Gossip and sex! Hear hear! Waiter! More whine!

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then. Welcome back. All's finally right again in the world. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back to Ornery. You are still wrong.
Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and all is forgiven, Paladine. Besides, I had a question for you.

How do you read:

Viribus mari victoria

It's the motto of the War College.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page