Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Broncos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Broncos
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for Tom Curtis   Email Tom Curtis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allright, most of you won't care but:

THE BRISBANE BRONCOS WON THE NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE PREMIERSHIP TONIGHT!!

Great sport, great game, great team.

In only 19 years in the competition, the Broncos have won six premierships, almost one in three years. Their coach, Wayne Bennet has now won more premierships as coach than any other coach. And the Broncos record is, 6 grand final appearances, six premierships.

What a team.

And to finish, way to go Webcke. You'll always be remembered.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200610/s1753031.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Broncos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Webcke

PS: In case you haven't guessed, I'm a fan.

This board may now return to its regurally scheduled discussions.

Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rugby league, rugby union....it's so confusing, and aussie rules seems like a better sport than both, although it's pretty wacky [Big Grin]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah humbug, I swore I'd never pay attention to rugby league again after the Steelers (screw the merger, red and white will always mean the mighty Illawara to me) were knocked out a couple of weeks back. And I intend to keep that vow until at least start of hte next season [Smile]
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh deliberate intent to confuse with NFL football teams [Smile] Steelers, Broncos...

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for Tom Curtis   Email Tom Curtis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky, don't you dare suggest that arial ping pong is a better game than Rugby League.
Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But underwater pingh-pong... that's a real game.

[ October 01, 2006, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what, aussie rules? I don't actually know enough about it. I understand it's far more popular than either version of Rugby, no?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aussie Rules looks a heck of a lot like Gaelic Football.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

Ricky, it depends in which state. In the Southern States, (Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia) Aussie Rules is far an away more popular than either code of Rugby. In Queensland and New South Wales, Aussie Rules has recently become about as popular as either of the two Rugby Codes, which is to say significantly less popular than the two Rugby codes combined. On the other hand, there is no international Aussie Rules (with a slight exception below), whereas Rugby League has a significant, and Rugby Union a strong international component. In fact, the most important Southern Hemisphere Rugby Union competition (the equivalent to the National Rugby League) is the Super Fourteen (previously Super Twelve) which involved an approximately equal number of teams from each of Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Of the three, Rugby League is the most like Grid Iron, which is to say it isn't much like Grid Iron at all [Smile] In the sixties, on at least one occasion an American team of Grid Iron players played an Australian Rugby League team two matches - one of Grid Iron, and one of Rugby League.

Jesse, Aussie Rules was a variant of Gaelic Football played by Irish immigrants. Once a year the Irish and the Australians play a game of "International Rules" which is a hybrid between the two sports. To turn Gaelic football into Aussie rules, make the ball oval, make the field oval, replace the goals with four vertical posts at each end. Change the scoring from 3 points for a goal below the bar and 1 for a goal above the bar to six points for a goal (between the middle two posts) and one point for a behind (between a midle and an outer upright). There are other minor differences, but that's the essence.

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Additional reason why the topic starter may misunderstand me. I like the Seahawks and loath the Broncos. Of course he is talking about rugby Broncos. Still the principle is the same. If your favorite team is named for feral horse stock....
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never paid any attention to rugby after they had to pull it from the Olympics, because the American football players kept knocking the stuffing out of the rest of the world. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

Wayward, never happened.

Rugby did get played in four olympics, and the US did win in 1920 and 1924; but in 1920, France was the only other competitor, and in 1924, only France and Romania. England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and to a lesser extent Scotland (the real powerhouses in Rugby Union) never played.

Rugby Union was probably dropped because nobody bothered attending.

As to current performance, they are ranked 14th in the World (out of 17 first and second tier sides).

You can see why:

quote:
Competing in international tournaments like the Churchill Cup and the Pan American Championship, as well as specially scheduled matches against world powers such as France and Ireland, the Eagles have qualified for four of the five Rugby World Cups, missing out in 1995. At the 1987 World Cup they beat Japan but lost to Australia and England, in 1991 they lost all their games.

In 1995 the Eagles defeated Canada on Canadian soil, for the first time ever by a score of 15-14.

The Eagles qualified for the 2003 Rugby World Cup by beating Spain twice in April followed by victories over Japan and Canada. This was the first time the Eagles had won four consecutive tests since making their international debut in 1976.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_national_rugby_union_team

They have never made the quarter finals in a World Cup.

The US don't even play in the Rugby League World Cup.

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worth noting that back then the silly defination of "amature" (which originaly excluded anyone paid for honest labor) probably made Olympic Rugby a heck of a lot less fun to watch.

I mean, think about what "professional" Rugby was back then, a bunch of shipfitters and Ironworkers and so sponsored by a company owner...

Probably a much more thrilling experience to watch than a buncha poofs from Yale. [Wink]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Curtis:

They have never made the quarter finals in a World Cup.

The US don't even play in the Rugby League World Cup.

That's because we already have gridiron. Rugby Union is growing, but the US does better at seven-a-side or "sevens". This fast moving variant favors athleticism and individual improvisation over set attacking plays and strategy.

Personally, I prefer to watch Union matches. The all-out rucks have no equal in the sporting world.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wayward, never happened.
Alas, another perfectly good story shot down by the facts. Although the facts are actually a bit more interesting than the original story. (I especially liked the part where they had to stop the final game to carry off the American casualties in the audience. [Eek!] )
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

Wow! Gives the name of Thugby a whole new meaning.
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, there are even more strange goings-on from time to time. Especially in Rugby League.

link

quote:
John Hopoate was last night suspended for 12 matches for a "disgraceful act" that his legal counsel said would cause the Wests Tigers international "disgrace and embarrassment".

In possibly the most bizarre judiciary case ever, the National Rugby League tribunal imposed the heaviest ban in four seasons after hearing more than three hours of evidence about players grabbing opponents by "the nuts", "the stork" and "the arse" in order to intimidate them. North Queensland players Peter Jones and Glenn Morrison testified that Hopoate had inserted his fingers in their anuses after they had been tackled during the match at Townsville last Saturday night.

Cowboys captain Paul Bowman accused Hopoate of doing the same thing to him after he had completed a tackle.

"I felt fingers. He was pushing up my arse," Bowman said. "I was disgusted, I couldn't believe it. If he was a man, he wouldn't do it." Morrison said: "It was dreadful, I had pain. It was like someone was trying to put pressure up there."

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

That's not at all what we meant when we talked about "stuffing" someone when we played soccer !

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page