Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Battlestar Galactica

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I just bought the first season of this show.

My God. It's good! Granted, I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but what I've seen so far is really good. Sure, imperfections here and there, but it's still what I'd imagine good television should be. (not that all shows should be qutie so... intense. But this one is good at that!)

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ain't seen nothing yet.

God, this Friday can't come soon enough [Smile]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait either.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't even finished the first season! (watched the miniseries and the first three episodes over two evenings. Thus I didn't sleep enough and have slept in instead of going to school. That is a REALLY good show.)

I know season three starts then. -_- Season two looks incredibly good. (a second battlestar joining the fleet? The vast political/military troubles this causes? Heck, the struggle between civilian and military rule in general looks incredibly promising even this early on.)

I'm going to wati until Christmas to get Seasons 2.0 and 2.5 on DVD... until then, I'll just have to wait.

And then buy season 3 (and prolly 3.5?) before Season 4 starts.... gah, I hate not being able to watch it.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I watched the first season... then missed most of season 2 and 2.5 because my tivo had a conflict with another show and I didn't realize it for a long time... so I recently queued them up on netflix and watched them all during some recent flights to seattle.

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to the upcoming season. Too bad the only way I seem to ever have time to watch anything these days is when I'm on an airplane.

[ October 03, 2006, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: LinuxFreakus ]

Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Well. I just saw the first episode of Season 3. My God.

They really didn't pull any punches. That was some of the darkest television I've ever seen.

Crazy to see how everyone has changed from first to third seasons. I will give one spoiler, and one alone:

Apollo is fat! Eiii!

KnightEnder
unregistered

That's why I came, Omeg, WHY?

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

SPOILER

Is a rape victim obligated to care about the baby they were forced to have?

I bet Tye's eye is in there. I think he faked being tortured to fire up the resistance. (Or did I miss something?)

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

And God are they pulling their story lines straight out of Iraq?

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Since this is a Scifi discussion; Anyone know why they changed Doctor Who's? I like them both, but I really liked the 'first' one. Of this incarnation anyway.

Eureka's great. Heroes is good. It's a Golden Age for SciFi.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

SPOILER

I think the NCP save the Pres and the original Apollo, in addition to Jammer saving Cali.

KE

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

That might be true, KE. Damn, that ending made me scream "noooooooo!"

I really actually hope the original Apollo lives. I found that I like him far too much, considering the things he's done.

Add to that the fact that you see Pres. Roslin (why are we still calling her President?) in the previews... well. Something's gonna happen.

Also, KE... yes. It seems they're pulling storylines straight out of Iraq. I mean, my God. The good guys are the terrorists!

I mean... allegory to a whole new level.

Still. It was good. If not one of the darkest two hours of television I've ever seen.

jasonr
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for jasonr   Email jasonr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I bet Tye's eye is in there. I think he faked being tortured to fire up the resistance. (Or did I miss something?)
Interesting theory, but I doubt it. Firstly, the Psilon claimed credit for the deed, when he told Tye's wife that he would lose more than just an eye the next time around. Second, his eye was bandaged while he was still in prison, under Psilon surveillance. It's kind of weird that they wouldn't notice or care about something as obvious as a fake eye patch, when they're willing to modify the scratches on his wall when he's not there, just to confuse his time sense.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonr
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for jasonr   Email jasonr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean... allegory to a whole new level.
I wasn't comfortable about that aspect of it. There's a fine line between writing science fiction that engages universal arguments and ideas that may happen to have contemporary resonance, and one that uses the story to ram a political position down your throat from a bully pulpit (the writer has absolute power over his world, and thereby has absolute power to cast his political argument in an unrealistically favourable light).

Fortunately, I think the show did not quite cross the line. It didn't feel preachy, and even if you could tell that the writer had certain political views, the show did not go so far as to try and force them on the viewer.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Yeah. I'll agree with that last bit, jason. It didn't feel preachy.

But the implications were so very strong... I liked it, though. As uncomfortable as it was... well. In the context of the story, it at least made sense.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Jas, I agree, I had paused it and hadn't seen that part when I posted. Still, it strikes me as something Tye would do.

KE

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page