Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » American Theocracy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Theocracy
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I've recently heard some of the ideas that some fundamentalist Christians desire to form an american theocracy.

I am currently looking for books on the subject, but am unsure what to look at.

But anyway, what do you guys know about it, and where should I look for information?

Or even fundamentalist christian views in general... I hear the term "Christian Nationalism" touted for this concept, though. I don't know many details, so I'm asking you guys.

But yes... from what I've heard, it's caused me to have an idea for a book. Christian fundamentalists in the U.S. using Islamic terrorist tactics to try to create a theocratic regime in the U.S.

So yes. I'm researching! But I don't have any money to buy books, and no knowledge of what books are best for the subject.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for Tom Curtis   Email Tom Curtis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.talk2action.org/story/2005/11/28/172929/14
Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.gop.com/

Adam ( [Wink] )

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a book called Kingdom Coming, supposed to be good.

[ October 03, 2006, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Phillips' The American Theocracy was good;

"Phillips makes a very interesting argument that the old North-South split in this country is far deeper and more ingrained than most people realize, and that one way of looking at American politics today is to say that the South managed the aftermath of its defeat in 1865 [such] that it is now the dominant section of the country."

Baltimore Sun, 2006.03.12.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my teachers was talking about that concept, Richard. Thanks, I saw that one in th ebookstore but didn't know whether to get it or not. (It DID look tempting... )

Kingdom Coming? I'll for that one too.

Wow. GOP website. "if the Democrats gain control of Congress, which of these would concern you MOST?"

Ugh.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a Christian kiddie camp somewhere that is espousing those views (6 year olds repenting their evil sins [Roll Eyes] [Mad] ) and that it is a shame that Christians aren't as ready to die for Christ. As if it's a competition. I'll see if I can find a link to these nuts.

KE

[ October 04, 2006, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Jesus Camp, KE. Already been reading about it, and it actually was what put the idea explicitly in my head.

But yes, it is rather scary. I find myself less and less... friendly towards such groups. Especially since my studying of the Bible is showing that they aren't as right as they think they are...

[ October 04, 2006, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: 0Megabyte ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jesus Camp"

Cross-making, water-walking, dead-raising...

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and a Catholic from NH has written a book on how the Christian right is not trying to take over the government (Book TV), but frankly he wasn't very convincing ... and not at all comforting. [Frown] I think it's pretty obvious that all arguments which seek to abridge the our tacit separation of church and state are a threat to religious freedom and, obviously, a threat to secular freedom.

For years the religious right has attempted to insinuate Christianity into all manner of secular forums -- everywhere from the censorship of books and films in my youth, since I can remember when Lady Chatterley was banned in Boston, to the failure of libaries to carry copies of Ingersoll's treatise on atheism, to obliging courts and public schools to swear oaths and allegiances to religious concepts.

I consider the congressional insertion of under God in the Pledge of Allegiance to have been a direct attack on the freedom of religion and an attempt to subvert the government. To me, it was treason.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But oh, Monsieur Dey, do you not see that they are only protecting our God-given rights to protect our God-given rights to... ? [Wink]
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Hey, RickyB, apparently the book my teacher suggested was Kingdom Coming afterall. He... messed up on the name. I'm reading it now.

Very good. Very scary. I must be aware of biases, however.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Michelle Goldberg is a fine reporter, but she's not what you would call unaffiliated. She used to write for Salon, after all [Big Grin]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

well, u no what yahweh said:

you're either with Me or against Me.

which is what i think double-ought meant when he said 'you're either with us or against us.'

him and god. all the way. tight as two tuna in a tin of formaldehyde.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page