Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Right now, the worst... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Right now, the worst...
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
song on the radio is "Goodbye My Lover," by James Blunt. Every time I hear it, I want to smash a heavy blunt object into his face. It's nails screeching down a chalkboard with a 2-year old's fascinated and enthusiastic repetition.

(Not that I'm a violent person by nature, which is why I just turn off the radio instead.)

But what is your worst annoyance right now? Book, TV, song, whatever....

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy Klobuchar commercials for her senate race.

Holy shyt what a frustratingly annoying woman. I never realized really how pissed people were at Republicans until I saw that she led the polls STRONGLY. At first I thought the poll was asking which person running you'd rather rip out the trachea of.

Grrr...

(This isn't a partisan thing, she is just super annoying.)

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Politics, as usual.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Worst annoyance. All the songs on the radio sung by pouty sounding women who seem to be trying to unite sexual allure with child-like pouting/singing. Ugh. It makes me want to kill something.

Is it odd that I prefer male singers to female? Wait, that isn't true. I like a number of songs by females. However, the majority (and almost all of the American songs I like) are sung by men. Though in Japanese, the majority are sung by women. Go figure.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta admit, I generally perfer male singers...

But think that has something to do with the fact that most of the female singers promoted by the recording industry are either "sex kittens", "trick ponies" like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carrey, or bitter little girls trying to act tough.

Pearls are rare. [Wink]

Most annoying? This Disco crap I keep hearing passed off as "altenative" music.

[ October 03, 2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That might be the reason, Jesse. They all do seem to be trying one of those things when I hear them. It's annoying.
Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Politics, as usual."

I second that. Pop culture is something I am so distant from these days that it scarcely offends me... unless I can't turn off the media outlet bombasting me with its schlock.

Thge worst annoyance my mediated culture gives me is actually amusing: the perennial pleasure of hearing high-brow classical music radio announcers attempt to definitively pronounce the name of some German or Danish conductor or obscure Italian composer.

I would love to hear an aret song in the French IMpressionist vein whose lyrics were the several dozen ways of pronouncing Debussy as exercised by DJs.

My favorite: deh-boo-song.

And I LOVE those exotic Baroque composers:

Jacob Heidelschnitzen Froberger

Jean LeClaire de Baptriste au Courante

Why name a human being Bernard Hy-tink? (phonetic spelling)

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, you got me thinking about music. Most annoying is that the local radio station with some of the best music also plays an unending parade of crap from Blink 182 clones (thank goodness for pandora.com).

I think I brought this up on another cperry thread, but most annoying tv show is CSI Miami. I've never even watched it for more than a minute, all I need is David Caruso to say something (anything) in that fake gravelly drone of his and I'm clawing my eardrums out and running from the room.

Most annoying TV commercial is "Fitness made simple" stuff that comes on cable in the middle of the night. John Basedow...gotta see his hair to believe it, and I still don't believe the "fitness celebrity" thing he's trying to pull. Good thing I don't really HAVE to be watching TV and paying attention to commercials in the middle of the night. [Wink]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(announcer voice) Do YOU have trouble turning off the TV late at night? Are YOU sick and tired of being hypnotically suckered into buying silly crap by 2AM infommercials?

Then YOU need...

[ October 04, 2006, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just today, for school, I was reading some sample essays responding to a passage from a book called "The Plug-in Drug" arguing that TV addiction compares to drug addiction. Perhaps I DO have a problem...
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP, I love James Blunt. My son hates him, but I love him. Have you heard "So long Jimmy."?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cperry, just be glad you're not in the UK...

quote:
James Blunt's Goodbye My Lover has become the most requested song to be played at funerals and services of remembrance in the UK.
Link
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't heard "So Long Jimmy." I didn't hate "You're Beautiful," but I didn't love it either.

Very glad I'm not in the UK, ITD. Yikes.

LOL, SciFiBum -- John Basedow makes me crazy, too. The hair's bad, but it's the pose that always gets me!

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

0Mega - Maybe it's the trick thing that I hate too: that annoying tendency for a singer (most often a woman) who wants to warble all around the note but never quite get to it, as if that's showing off some wonderful talent. I blame it on American Idol. It was bad before, but now it's an epidemic. I've had to walk out of some stores because it was driving me mad.

However, given the growing list of annoyances I have here, perhaps it's not external influences that are making me crazy. [Eek!]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Maybe it's the trick thing that I hate too: that annoying tendency for a singer (most often a woman) who wants to warble all around the note but never quite get to it, as if that's showing off some wonderful talent."

One reason why I don't listen to conemporary pop. All grace and no notes makes fr graceless singing.

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta admit, music is just background to poetry for me.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pop today is a kind of tragedy. Everything pop sought to overthrow in the 60s and 70s was either overthrown -- or cannot be overthrown. Today it has no barriers to breech short of convincing masturbation, although there is plenty of ersatz masturbation on stage. But what is ersatz masturbation but an exascerbation of failure?

It's like heavy metal. It was a revolution with no objectives -- unless one considers hearing-aid sales a musical objective. To be revolutionary, one must seek to change the world -- not just drown it out.

There was a time when one turned up one's music to show how chic one was and how tiresomely out-of-touch one's neighbors were. Today it is the revolutionary music that is out-of-touch and tiresome. It doesn't shock; it annoys and bores. It is reactionary. It cries out for chaos, and can't quite let go of 4/4 time. Its lack of fulfillment is of no interest to anybody who could do something about it.

The rhyme obsession of rap isn't just unsophisticated; it's childish. It's that rules obsession that 10-11-y-o children have. Worse, its revolutionary messages are stale at one end and firey feces at the other.

Generally, if something has no socially redeeming value, I'm interested; but rap hasn't interested me yet -- and it is already going out of fashion. O, and All too Soon!

"The best thing about popular music is that it isn't popular very long." -- Carl Schirmer --

"Pop music is just like opera. It's just one song after another until you get to the bar." -- Stiletto in Punch --

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I think his is my fave of your posts, Dey. I especially like:

"It's like heavy metal. It was a revolution with no objectives -- unless one considers hearing-aid sales a musical objective. To be revolutionary, one must seek to change the world -- not just drown it out."

Pop also has yet to separate itself from 'popularity'. It wants to be sincere, ruggedly individual, personal expression... and it wants to be important and well-paid.

Just like your average politician.

Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pop crap, definitely. Getting Sirius for Christmas last year has been a God send, and I have DirecTV which carries XM, so I have all the satellite channels covered.

There's only one radio station I can stand to listen to for very long - they stream if any of you want to check it out: www.cd101.com (privately owned alt-rock)

Sadly, I don't live there any longer, and the evil corporation I work for blocks streaming music [Mad]

Anywho, Richard I'll disagree in part.

While some music might be about social change and such, most of it is merely for entertainment - like any other entertainment media, IMO.

Also, on the heavy metal & rap note. I'll argue "old school" rap did effect change, but now it's mainstream. Metal has somewhat gone mainstream, so has effected the course of music some, also.

I think the lesson there is when it's new and cutting edge, it's cool and influences other bands and musicians, but then quickly becomes blasé and normal.

What I really hate is soulless music of any kind. I saw Ashley Simpson’s first video and about threw up. Can’t dance, can’t sing, can’t even find a descent song writer. Oh, and her sister’s remake of Nancy Sinatra’s “these boots are made for walking” was so friggin’ bad… but the video was quite nice [Wink] God gave us a mute button for good reasons! Watch the video and throw in some Metallica “Seek and Destroy” for background music.

Oh, and I also dislike musicians claiming to be artists, which very, very few of them are. To be an artist, you have to be able to write a tune, carry a tune, and play a tune. Not too many these days fit that bill… Prince comes to mind. While I don’t like a lot of his music, the man is a musical genius.

Lets see... Lip synching sucks. I'm beginning to think Britney Spears never sang on any of her albums - anyone remember what happened to Milli Vanilli and C&C Music Factory for those kind of shenanigans? But now it’s okay?
Bands/singers that are so over-produced in the studio, and then sound like a bunch of teenagers with cracking voices live.

[ October 05, 2006, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: jm0397 ]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

JM, I couldn't agree more.

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

Amen. Can the Concord Party do something about this? [Big Grin]
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Join us and find out!
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Jav: [Smile] I really should.

Okay, new annoying item: trolls! I can't believe how irked I am.

<reminds self: gotta be a duck and let it all roll off my back like water....>

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I love trolls. What would our fairy tales be like without them?

I hear one now singing in a deep hoarse voice:

"...wike a bweedje ov-uh twobbled watuzz... I will hide me down...."

cperry
Member # 1938

I guess they're okay in fairy tales, bothering some goat. Just not bothering me. [Wink]
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got work on those "skim on by" skillz there, cperry! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

It's been a lifelong quest, jav! Two steps forward and 1 step back. Eventually, eventually....
cperry
Member # 1938

I guess it's kind of like driving past a car wreck. I know I shouldn't look; I want to be better than that. Yet, at the last minute, my head turns despite my intentions.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

take yer pick:

trolls

trolls

trolls

trolls

Some folks, suffering, I believe, from what I will call 'interpreive speech impediment', have called me a troll. They have trouble pronouncing 'd'?

droll

droll

drolls

DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trolled?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Your posts may be long, KL, even meandering and difficult at first glance to see as related to the subject at hand, but I rarely consider your posts to be deliberately inflammatory, antagonistic, and one-noted. (If anything, it's probably the many-noted aspect of your posts that throw most readers!).

I think the thing about trolls that gets me is the inability to say anything new or respond to others. There is no conversation; instead, it's simply shouting the same single comment over and over and over and over. Sure, that might influence some folks, but only in the same mindless way that this particular troll keeps calling OA readers mindless.

Oy, cranky me.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I'm annoyed by the anti-education promos for Friday Night Lights on ESPN.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Verry droll.
cperry
Member # 1938

Hmmm, RickyB. I haven't noticed them, but Hubby flips through commercials.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Oy, cranky me.'

i kinda like hesarig the trolls hoot.

like bullfrogs

cperry
Member # 1938

KL - It's a diversion for the first or second post. That's all I have the tolerance for.
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cp - they show a bunch of football players in class, responding with glazed eyes to a question about history from the teacher. I don't remember the whole thing play-by-play, but it's disparaging to knowledge and education.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

yikes. glad i've missed it.
RickyB
Member # 1464

yeah, basically the not giving a shyt about knowledge is portrayed as cool and done by the characters we're supposed to care about on the show. And I don't think there's any twist down the road on that regard.
KnightEnder
unregistered

There should be. There is in real life. I wonder how many "football stars" tore up a knee and wished to God they'd payed more attention in class?

KE

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page