Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » A fat terrorist is a less dangerous terrorist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A fat terrorist is a less dangerous terrorist
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting... and kinda funny.

High-Calorie Diet Fattens Gitmo Inmates
quote:
A high-calorie diet combined with life in the cell block - almost around the clock in some cases - is making detainees at Guantanamo Bay fat.

Meals totaling a whopping 4,200 calories per day are brought to their cells, well above the 2,000 to 3,000 calories recommended for weight maintenance by U.S. government dietary guidelines. And some inmates are eating everything on the menu.

One detainee has almost doubled in weight, to 410 pounds, said Navy Cmdr. Robert Durand, spokesman for the detention facilities at Guantanamo, a U.S. Navy station in southeast Cuba.

I can see the news headlines a few years from now "Terrorist tries to hijack plane, but dies of heart attack when sprinting for the cockpit."

[ October 04, 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: jm0397 ]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about torture.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those cannibalistic prison guards are going to be the downfall of republicans in '08.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jav,

24 hour detention without any form of exercise? How long do you think you would last? Maybe life in Gitmo isn't so rosy.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Masterman:
jav,

24 hour detention without any form of exercise? How long do you think you would last? Maybe life in Gitmo isn't so rosy.

Adam

Where'd that come from?
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same place as 'Talk about torture', I reckon.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
Same place as 'Talk about torture', I reckon.

That honestly makes no sense to me.
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Talk about torture" - was that meant to be ironic, meaning you were downplaying the conditions the prisoners are being held under, or were you sincerely pointing out that being kept in a prison cell 'almost around the clock' with little or no access to excercise is, if not torture, at least unacceptable treatment?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it as sincere. Adam read it as sarcasm. Without a human voice or an emoticon, it's tough to tell.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Thanks, cperry. Unfortunately, I did mean it a bit sarcastically. I was recalling a conversation we had where we were defining torture. I don't consider being over fed as being torture. Unsurprisingly, some here may. I don't think it's a GOOD thing, however.

That's all I commented on. Maybe that wasn't clear? Maybe I should have said "Well, overfeeding prisoners doesn't seem like torture." I certainly wasn't intending to comment on anything besides the quoted text.

If Adam felt I was commenting on something else, like not being allowed exercise outside of the cell or something - I'm afraid he's wrong. Maybe that's a valid viewpoint of what I said - I don't know. I think it's a bit of a stretch of an assumption, but whatever.

I also don't, in general, feel it's torture to keep someone locked in a cell without allowing them to leave and exercise - though it'd suck, and there are specific cases, for specific people, where it certainly would be. As a matter of fact, for me personally, it would be, due to a physciological problem I have with being confined. Then again, since it makes me blank out, maybe it wouldn't be torture.

[ October 04, 2006, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INteresting that the past few years have witnessed increasing numbers of dialogues (groupalogueas) like this, where what is or isn't torture is disucussed so often precisely because it is no longer merely hypothetical but something happening with the imprint of our plebiscite upon it.

Now that election season is in full swing, we can ponder the graded shades of an various distinctions between:

mere exaggeration and outright lying

mere meanness and outright cruelty

mere appeal to a perceived norm and ouright pandering to the simplest and crudest emotional states

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're not force-feeding them. They're trying to avoid accusations of malnutrition by offering them everything on the menu.

...let the prisoners decide if they want to eat more/less.

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jav,

I was snappy and I apologize. I am personally appalled at the recent habeas corpus waiver our legislature has produced, and in general with people's apologism towards inhumane treatment of detainees. So while I stand by the intent of my response, I regret its overly confrontational presentation. [Smile]

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Masterman:
Jav,

I was snappy and I apologize. I am personally appalled at the recent habeas corpus waiver our legislature has produced, and in general with people's apologism towards inhumane treatment of detainees. So while I stand by the intent of my response, I regret its overly confrontational presentation. [Smile]

Adam

I really appreciate that, Adam. I really was confused. I hope I've clarified myself.
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bigger terrorist...more folds to hide stuff in.

I'm glad I'm not the guy who has to search the 410 pounder.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find your your blatantly massist comment offensive. [Wink]
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, there's only one problem with this cunning plan to make terrorists so fat they can't run their backpack bomb past a roadblock without being gunned down. Are there even any bona fide terrorists in Gitmo in the first place?

I mean if the records of releases and "trials" (by which I mean delayed trial dates, changed charges, an no guilty verdicts whatsoever) is anything to go by, it's starting to look like Gitmo is home to nobody but a few hundred randomly selected portly arabs.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might have not been at first. I suspect after 5 years of confinement, they are now, but for more reasons than just being royally po'ed at us, of course.
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Gitmo is gonna haunt us for a long time.
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The title of this thread reminded me of this scene from Julius Caesar. As I read the rest, I was reminded how much Shakespeare knew about the human condition.

CAESAR
Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights:
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.

ANTONY
Fear him not, Caesar; he's not dangerous;
He is a noble Roman and well given.

CAESAR
Would he were fatter! But I fear him not:
Yet if my name were liable to fear,
I do not know the man I should avoid
So soon as that spare Cassius. He reads much;
He is a great observer and he looks
Quite through the deeds of men: he loves no plays,
sees the hidden motives of men's deeds
As thou dost, Antony; he hears no music;
Seldom he smiles, and smiles in such a sort
As if he mock'd himself and scorn'd his spirit
That could be moved to smile at any thing.
Such men as he be never at heart's ease
Whiles they behold a greater than themselves,
And therefore are they very dangerous.

[ October 05, 2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: cperry ]

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

And I'm not making a rude comment about people's weight. This is all about temperament.
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

Forsooth.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

" Seldom he smiles, and smiles in such a sort
As if he mock'd himself and scorn'd his spirit
That could be moved to smile at any thing."

I fear that one side of my smile is that described above. However, part of the self-and-world mockery in that smile is a twist imparted from the other side of my smile, which iconveys wry, gentle, sad, forgiving amusement at the frailties that are us.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page