Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » So...what's the latest Lib talking points to discount the record high for the Dow? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So...what's the latest Lib talking points to discount the record high for the Dow?
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What is it about OSC's writings that attracts a large audience of liberal minded folks -- who often assume that OSC is of a similar mindset to themselves, and are shocked and outraged when they find out he's not?"

We've been over this soooo many times.

OSC is obviously a social conservative, and an Authoritarian. I don't know how anyone can read his books and not get that.

It ain't what he says, it's how he says it.

In his books, we get him. He comes from a place of compassion, doesn't much demonize anyone, and tries to persude us. We're cool with that.

Heck, he turned Mike Fink into a likable guy. Even after he researched who he really was. That's a feat.

I would LOVE to see more articles in the tone of his current homework two parter. I would be delighted if he used the same tactics to try to persude others to his political viewpoints.

It ain't his views, Daruma. It's that he's ussualy just flat out mean.

Imagine you went to a Heinlein web-site, and found him attacking the evil demons of the nanny state and blaming all of the worlds ills on it...instead of trying to show you how great his ever-expanding Libertarian society would be?

Wouldn't you be shocked?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Are you sure, kenmeer? I thought I counted a good quazillion one day."

That was a shmazillion.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Or maybe it just seems to me like every thread based on the standard ideological divide seems to be Jav, Pete or G2 versus 6 or seven self-avowed liberals piling on."

The conservatives don't weigh in because they're afraid to lose [Wink]

Seriously, though, I came on board Ornery a few years ago thinking I was more liberal than not.

I don't think that's true anymore.

But I don't think I'm more conservative either.

Things sometimes evolve, not vacillate.

I think that the economic/political environment in which the terms liberal and conservative were forged has changed so much that neither hold much meaning anymore.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
"What is it about OSC's writings that attracts a large audience of liberal minded folks -- who often assume that OSC is of a similar mindset to themselves, and are shocked and outraged when they find out he's not?"

OSC is obviously a social conservative, and an Authoritarian. I don't know how anyone can read his books and not get that.

It ain't what he says, it's how he says it.

In his books, we get him. He comes from a place of compassion, doesn't much demonize anyone, and tries to persude us. We're cool with that.

Heck, he turned Mike Fink into a likable guy. Even after he researched who he really was. That's a feat.

I would LOVE to see more articles in the tone of his current homework two parter. I would be delighted if he used the same tactics to try to persude others to his political viewpoints.

It ain't his views, Daruma. It's that he's ussualy just flat out mean.

Imagine you went to a Heinlein web-site, and found him attacking the evil demons of the nanny state and blaming all of the worlds ills on it...instead of trying to show you how great his ever-expanding Libertarian society would be?

Wouldn't you be shocked?

Thanks for repeating yourself...the only thing I remember about that past discussion was Ev and KE telling me that OSC was offensive and resorts to bad debate tactics.

As for Heinlen...well, I don't think he would want to do that, because he would then be doing nothing other than re-hashing Orwell. [Smile]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I sometimes forget you don't normally spend a lot of time over on the World Watch side, Daruma.

David Brin says lots of stuff I agree with, lots of stuff I don't...but he never ticks me off or disapoints me.

When Crazy Uncle Orson brings the same level of game that Brin does...I actually enjoy his articles. There are maybe half a dozen in the archives I think are pretty good.

quote:
As for Heinlen...well, I don't think he would want to do that, because he would then be doing nothing other than re-hashing Orwell
[Big Grin]
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page