Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » signal to noise?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: signal to noise?
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just elections coming up that have driven the 'noise' level so high recently? Seems to have not been many posts worth reading here as of late...

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wakeup
Member # 3081

- posted      Profile for wakeup   Email wakeup       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
read A911 thought
Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect you are right LR. But remember, signal to noise ratio doesn't have to mean the signal getting less. There are probably as many good posts around, they are just more buried in the noise kicked up by the elections.

Oh, and wakeup, that one is just really loud noise not signal.

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this way...
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, lots of noise and not much signal getting through these days. Some threads have a decidedly "Daily Kos" or "Demoratic Underground" taste to them. I was tempted to simply have my account deleted by the OM's, but I have decided instead to wait it out, lurk from time to time, and see if things get better after the elections are over. I look forward to when the spirit of the Ornery American, as set forth by OSC, returns to these forums. I'd say see y'all in a month or three, but with my occasional lurking I just might find a worthwile bit of signal to respond to from time to time, like this one, before then.

[ October 05, 2006, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Dave at Work ]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed that some people make a lot of posts consisting entirely of, say, "A-yup." or "Funny how that works, isn't it?". Why do people think they need to do that?
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-yup.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, fully how that works, isn't it?

Ha ha. [Big Grin]

Okay, seriously, I'm guilty of it. Sometimes, people say really good things. And they say all that can be said about it.

Oh, and all the fun debates on abortion, religion, and gay marriage have been argued to the point that most of us are probably bored of them. And when you get right down to it, what's left after those are gone?

Yeah, a lot of meaningful stuff. But I digress!

And Dave: I hope I speak for everyone (or at least the majority) but we'll miss you! See ya later.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? We're not being Ornery enough?

Welcome to Ornery nonetheless, Dave at Work, for thou art WRONG [Wink]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to throw out my actual opinion on this topic since there's so much noise going on in this thread *grin* but...

I think the moderation style has made this a place more conducive to a high noise to signal ratio. The completely behind the scenes moderation, except in extremely rare cases, means that the sort of noise that isn't or shouldn't be tolerated never gets a public smack down from the people in charge. Makes that noise appear to be officially tolerated.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So let it be written...

I can't say, unless you mean early last month where I kicked up a lotta dust and noise and noses.

Past four weeks or so...haven't been around, thought the joint would improve.

[Wink]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha. Well LR, why don't you start a "signal" thread or two instead of passively waiting for someone to post something you can then research, deconstruct and debunk?

You starting this thread is like a boxer who's entire game plan is to wait for an opening and counterpunch...but then complain about the other fighter not wanting to throw the first punch. [Razz]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kenmeer livermaile,

quote:
Welcome to Ornery nonetheless, Dave at Work, for thou art WRONG [Wink]
Despite our relative post counts, I have been a registered member for about 6 months longer that you. I also lurked on this site for nearly two years prior to registering. In any case thanks for the official welcome. I do believe that it has been 27 months now since I started participating and this is the first time I have had the greeting directed at me that I can recall.

0Megabyte,

Thanks for that. I was unsure if anybody even noticed me around here most of the time. More often than not if someone acknowledges a post of mine at all they tend to attribute it to someone else, often DaveS.

Everard,

That is an interesting thought. The signal to noise ratio did seem to start to shift in the month or two after msquared turned over the mod reigns. I imagine that it is a bit of that and a bit of the political tensions due to the election. I seem to recall a similar rise in the noise level during the 2006 election season, but that could be a subjective view in hindsight on my part as well.

In any case while I tend to disagree with many of your stated views on this site, in particular the economic ones, I usually learn something when reading your contributions. You are one of the reasons I haven't just chucked my menmbership here.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

"In any case while I tend to disagree with many of your stated views on this site, in particular the economic ones, I usually learn something when reading your contributions. You are one of the reasons I haven't just chucked my menmbership here."

Thanks [Smile] I always appreciate comments like that.

And yes, the signal to noise ratio went down leading up to the 2004 elections.

There's always a confluence of factors that leads to the signal to noise ratio changing significantly. Often it changes right after ornery gets linked somewhere, or after OSC puts out a new book.

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Dave. I don't know you and your views as well as, say, Pete and Ev, but you're a forthright poster and not one to dismiss out of hand.

Now... which noise is improper again, Ev? I mean, besides the trolling. I might be contributing to it, and I hope to stop myself if I am. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daruma,

Good point. I've gone back to school lately and thus I've been trying and keep my posting to a minimum, which drops my likelihood of posting orignal threads too. Also I haven't really read much of interest lately (I have my front page with google news and other papers - amish girls slayed; foley; oil prices; iraq and iran - blech....)

I think I might be a bit burnt out on the constant rehash we do here as well.

To be a 'good Ornery citizen' I'll try and post something interesting this weekend and hopefully add to the signal side a bit [Smile] .

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, the problem is the receiver, not the broadcast.

[ October 05, 2006, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think an A-yup is helpful sometimes. I have found myself defending what is a generally accepted, mainstream opinion, backed up with facts, against someone who just sidesteps the facts and the reasoning. With no validation from the sidelines, it can get frustrating.
Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, when posters produce extremely well researched, cogent, articulate, and reasonable essays...I don't have a response but still feel the need to give them a public thanks for the quality of their work and the obvious commitment of time.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Amen to that. You said it better than I could have. But that's the truth, Jesse.
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
Thanks for that. I was unsure if anybody even noticed me around here most of the time. More often than not if someone acknowledges a post of mine at all they tend to attribute it to someone else, often DaveS.
Actually, the only time I've ever received a private email congratulating me for a good post, it was for one of yours. With great sadness, I corrected the misguided fellow. [Smile] I then read it, and I agree that it was a pretty good post. Recently, Richard Dey disagreed with one of my posts, but pinned it on you by mistake. I didn't correct him on that one [Wink]
Jesse
Member # 1860

What's *thump* the frequency >*thump*< kenmeer?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

frequenty

or

frequessential

+++

the freak has went the building

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page