Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » I told you so

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I told you so
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith based groups

quote:
The US government has given $10.9 million to Food for the Hungry, a faith-based development organization, to reach deep into the arid mountains of northern Kenya to provide training in hygiene, childhood illnesses, and clean water. The group has brought all that, and something else that increasingly accompanies US-funded aid programs: r egular church service and prayer.
quote:
nd in seeking to help such groups obtain more contracts, Bush has systematically eliminated or weakened rules designed to enforce the separation of church and state.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Starve or repent, Kenyans!

KE

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny.

Hezbollah offers services to everyone in their districts of operation, regardless of religion.

Why, oh why, are we losing the PR war?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because we areh't hungry for it. (forgive the pun.)
Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've seen HizbAllah delivering meals-on-wheels to Jewish settlers...

Oh wait, no I haven't.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hezbollah offers services to everyone in their districts of operation, regardless of religion.
I thought conversion to another religion meant death in their districts of operation.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone show me where those receiving aid were required to attend worship services or practice religion in any way?
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberal
Member # 2888

- posted      Profile for Liberal   Email Liberal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't matter if those people are required to convert to attend, those chairities are using government money to hold religious services when they said they wouldn't do it. It's against the law.

[ October 09, 2006, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: Liberal ]

Posts: 228 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

part 2
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
President Bush has committed so many other atrocities this one adds little to his total, and making Christian converts in Kenya only slightly resembles setting up a national church in the United States.

But this remark by a Clinton appointee bothers me:
quote:
US foreign-aid programs, however, began after World War II for the purely secular aim of winning friends for the United States. Now, aid packages and equipment purchased with government funds are stamped with the words ``From the American People" so beneficiaries can see the fruits of US generosity.

``The point of foreign assistance is national security," said Harriet Babbitt, who was USAID's second-ranking official during the last years of the Clinton administration.

However laudable such humanitarian assistance may be, it will most likely do little or nothing to win over enemies of the United States. And furthering Christian evangelization in Africa will increase the perception that President Bush is heading a Christian crusade against Islam, and so perhaps increase terrorist attacks. So we should provide such assistance, and through Christian organizations if that is most efficient, but without glossing over the fact that such initiatives actually decrease U.S. security. Remembering every rosary makes a terrorist should help keep such programs within reasonable bounds.

[ October 09, 2006, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonr
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for jasonr   Email jasonr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However laudable such humanitarian assistance may be, it will most likely do little or nothing to win over enemies of the United States. And furthering Christian evangelization in Africa will increase the perception that President Bush is heading a Christian crusade against Islam, and so perhaps increase terrorist attacks. So we should provide such assistance, and through Christian organizations if that is most efficient, but without glossing over the fact that such initiatives actually decrease U.S. security. Remembering every rosary makes a terrorist should help keep such programs within reasonable bounds.
Oy vey... a Christian Crusade against Islam? Church services with food aid leading to terrorism? What planet do you live on? Not earth, apparently.

I'm not crazy about the idea of government sponsored food aid being bundled into church services. But like Microsoft, so long as the groups give the people the choice (i.e. they can get the food without the church) I see nothing wrong with it.

quote:
Doesn't matter if those people are required to convert to attend, those chairities are using government money to hold religious services when they said they wouldn't do it. It's against the law.
Which law?
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

First amendment.
Everard
unregistered

"I'm not crazy about the idea of government sponsored food aid being bundled into church services. But like Microsoft, so long as the groups give the people the choice (i.e. they can get the food without the church) I see nothing wrong with it."

I'm kinda ridiculously unhappy about my tax dollars being used to pay so the church can perform that service.

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it fell under "general welfare" [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Everard:
First amendment.

For those never having seen it:
quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
It would seem you want to modify it so that instead of freedom of religion you would have freedom from religion.
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to the U.S. government, all religions are equal. It's just that this makes some more equal than others. [Wink]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

"It would seem you want to modify it so that instead of freedom of religion you would have freedom from religion."

Isn't that the same thing.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not by any logic course I've taken.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

If I'm free from any one religion then I am free from them all.
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are free from practicing any religion - the state is not allowed to force you to follow any religion. That doesn't mean that the state is required to force everyone to follow no religion.

It's a logical fallacy to equate the two.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yes, I've seen HizbAllah delivering meals-on-wheels to Jewish settlers..."

ahem bizarre hallucinations are *my* bailiwick today

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

"If I'm free from any one religion then I am free from them all," does not equate to "the state is required to force everyone to follow no religion."

[ October 09, 2006, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Everard ]

javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Everard:
"If I'm free from any one religion then I am free from them all," does not equate to "the state is required to force everyone to follow no religion."

Depends on intent, doesn't it?
javelin
Member # 1284

Let me attempt to clarify.

In logic, saying something "is" something else requires a one to one equivalency.

Therefore, it is correct to say "Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion", but not "Freedom of religion IS freedom from religion." The second statement narrows the domain to "freedom from the religion". The first allows for other things to be in the domain such as "practicing Hinduism" and "practicing the Muslim faith".

Does that make more sense?

Everard
unregistered

Yes, it does depend on intent. Are you saying that you were speculating on KE's intent?

I understood what you were saying, Javelin. I also noticed that you were breaking an ornery rule, and tried to point it out.

javelin
Member # 1284

[Big Grin] Funny, Ev.
Everard
unregistered

Its not supposed to be ajoke. If you're laughing, its a problem.
javelin
Member # 1284

That's unfortunate.
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"freedom of religion" I love the way G2 quoted the 1st, then went on to throw this old gem (with all its semantic baggage) into the fray. The term "freedom of religion" exists nowhere in the written constitution.

If y'all are going to debate the meaning of the establishment clause, I say stop pussy-footing around. Dive right in. Grab the bull by the horns. **** or get off the crapper. I know, I know, you've been there, done that, but it seems like the time is ripe for a rerun...

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Okay.

Giving money (tax payer money, government money) to A religion is defacto recognition and establishment of THAT religion.

KE

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you give money to every religion equally. And then even THAT would be against the Constitution, and would be unfair to all the atheists out there.

But yeah, KE. That crap is unconstitutional. At least, it is by the way I read the First Amendment.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liberal:

I was referring to the straw man argument developing at the head of this thread. Fortunately, it looks like it's petered out.

Thanks for caring about my reading comprehension, though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberal
Member # 2888

- posted      Profile for Liberal   Email Liberal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What straw man? The straw man here, if any, is this ridiculous assumption that this is the only aid that they'd get so we should be grateful for it.

Money = "respecting...establishment"

Posts: 228 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

quote:
What straw man?
I think it's a bit implied here:

quote:
Starve or repent, Kenyans!
and here:

quote:
Funny.

Why, oh why, are we losing the PR war?

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

Yup. That's the straw man, alright. Funny how, after I posted, he disappeared.

Not that I'm claiming credit or anything. I just think it's funny. I'm actually laughing my butt off, just so you know.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page