Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Maybe its time to take Richard Pryor seriously.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maybe its time to take Richard Pryor seriously.
Thrasymachus
Member # 3090

- posted      Profile for Thrasymachus   Email Thrasymachus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I hate to say this, I think its time for the American public to start taking their political cues from a Richard Pryor movie. That’s right, its time for everybody to stand up and vote for "none of the above", like the write in campaign Pryor sponsored as Monty Brewster in Brewster’s Millions. After all, when the options presented to the public at large fail to provide someone whom the public at large considers an acceptable participant in government, why should we be forced to settle for the lesser of two evils?

I think that every ballot in every state should offer a “none of the above” option for every elected position. If one of the candidates can’t carry more of the vote than the no-one represented by “none of the above” then all of those candidates must withdraw from the election, and new options should be presented to the people until someone comes forward who CAN carry the vote. Maybe then the American people could get what they want as opposed to settling for the candidate they find least offensive.

Of course, that means that the people would actually have to exercise the new power to prevent candidates from winning an election by default, but maybe the sense of empowerment that comes from rejecting an unworthy possibility will encourage them to participate more in the system instead of taking it for granted.

I know this idea started out as a joke, but I am beginning to think it might actually have some merit.

Posts: 199 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Ornery. You are wrong. But I agree. But then I've always taken Richard Pryor seriously. [Smile]

("What was that, his change-up?"
John Candy: "That was his fastball!")

KE

[ October 10, 2006, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An appealing idea, but who's in charge while we round up a new batch of candidates?

And, if the process for choosing candidates hasn't changed, why would we come up with a better selection?

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thrasymachus
Member # 3090

- posted      Profile for Thrasymachus   Email Thrasymachus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a whole month and a half or so between election day and when the officals actually take office. I'm sure there are plenty of ordinary non-politicians out there who think they can do a better job than the professional panderers that generally run for office.

Maybe this idea would create an opportunity for REAL people to take a part in the political system. You know, guys and girls who've actually had a nine to five at some point in their life and can relate to others who don't have a hundred and fifty thousand dollar a year salary plus perks and lobbyist gifts.

Think about it. Public servants who actually have real ideas of there own might actually get elected. Too much to hope for, I know. There are plenty of sleazy types who would be happy to slide into the positions too.

[ October 10, 2006, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Thrasymachus ]

Posts: 199 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page