Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » BSG thread of no particular merit (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSG thread of no particular merit
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tales from New Iraqica
They didn't leap the shark.

By Jonah Goldberg

Okay, so the all-important question is: “What to Make of the Battlestar Galactica premiere?” If you go by my e-mail, opinions are split fairly evenly between total outrage and head-shaking disappointment with only the thinnest veneer of guarded optimism. At this point if you don’t know what happened, that’s your problem. But you should feel free to look away if you’re spoiler-phobic.

So what happened? The creative team of BSG moved the entire show to Baghdad. Okay not quite. But that’s the “daring” implication. Most of the surviving human race lives on New Caprica, a grim Salusa Secundus rock of a planet, which is now occupied by the Cylons who claim to be coming in peace to help humanity. Quickly, the occupation devolves into brutality and torture. There are even human New Caprica Police working with the Cylons, who conduct nighttime raids which look remarkably like footage you’ve seen from Iraq through night-vision lenses. That’s all the recap you get.

So what did I think? I think it’s stupid. I really liked it when they jumped ahead at the end of the last season. But now I think it was a hail-Mary pass that ended in a fumble. I’ve never really loved BSG’s “ripped from the headlines” topicality, even though they’ve played the game with nuance in the past. Indeed, some readers complaining about BSG suddenly injecting itself into real-world politics remind me of conservatives who are shocked that Bush is a big-government guy. He’s been one from the beginning and BSG has been weighing in on political themes from the get-go.

I think it’s stupid for two reasons. First, it’s just way too forced. For example, when Brother Cavil (Dean Stockwell) goes off on the stupidity of the invasion he breaks the imaginary wall between the audience and the BSGverse. He says something to the effect of “What did you expect? Did you think we’d be greeted as liberators.… Oh forget it.” Everybody in the audience understands this was a shot at the notion America would be greeted with flowers. It was too much. Indeed, the whole first hour seemed to wallow in self-congratulation that they were going to carry this moral-equivalence nonsense far beyond the point when the viewer says “I get it already.”

Second: It’s a really, really stupid comparison. American troops aren’t Cylons. The human population of New Caprica wasn’t living under the tyranny of a Saddam Hussein. Iraqis aren’t the last surviving remnant of humanity. There’s no evidence — so far — the Cylons ever intended to do right by the citizens of New Caprica. And so on.

The whole thing

I saw it and pretty much felt the same way but am less eloquent. Then again, I never bought the whole "Cylon God thing" either.

What are your thoughts on the first two episodes of the third season?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss Bonanza.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Start a Bonanza thread then.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lorne Greene's dead. What would be the point?

When BSG returns home at last to their native Lake Tahoe Terran home, I'll watch BSG again. [Wink]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Of all the ingredients for a truly successful escapist movie of any kind — be it sci-fi or fantasy — the most important is that it take itself seriously. That doesn’t mean it can’t be humorous — Indiana Jones had some hilarious touches, for example. But the moment the actors or director let on that the movie is “just a movie” or, worse, ironic camp, the spell is broken. I remember the exact moment I no longer respected the James Bond series. It was in a scene in the dreadful Octopussy. While swinging from a vine, they had 007 issue a Tarzan yell, at which point I realized that even the producers couldn’t take themselves seriously anymore, so why should I?"

Why indeed? Why in the first place. (I mean: *James 'Silly****' Bond*?)

Personally, a movie or book or woman who can't wink at it/herself/me and let me in on the game loses me. I kow I'm in there too, or, more precisely, I know it's happening in MY head.

But not everyone can get away with a wink at their own expense. And not everyone likes self-revealing trompes l'eoil. It depends on whjat is revealed by giving the game away that makes the difference, I think.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

nice trompe
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... everyone didn't like it...?

I didn't think it was quite as blatantly "Oh, we're in Iraq" as the guy felt. Yes, there were similarities, but I saw it much more of a "so, you think terrorism and suicide bombing is bad, huh? Here's a different perspective."

The whole "oh, the Cylons are Americans, what asshats the creators were" can be read into it, but I don't see that as the intent. I saw it as focused slightly differently, and in a way I find interesting anyway.

Anyway, after reading the rest of his review, I must say that he has some good points. But I found myself enjoying the whole "Iraqica" thing. And tonight's episode, which just ended fifteen minutes ago, was pretty good. I'm more waiting for next week's.

Spoilers:

Sharon (I guess I'll call her that) gets to hear that her baby Hera is alive (causing a new ripple in THAT terminally unstable situation.)

We have a great focus on little Hera/Isis, and the setup for a probable confrontation in next week's episode. If Lucy Lawless manages to do what she was told, well... we'll see how that goes.

Is Helo the temporary XO of Galactica? Or at least it's new Geata (whatever it was he did)? I still can't get over Dualla being XO of Pegasus. Nice fit, though.

Anyway, back to the plot. This episode was so clearly the long set up for next episode, which will most probably be the payoff. At least, I hope it's a good payoff! I'm still really enjoying the show, at the very least.

Admiral Adama's speech was very good, in my opinion. Now I want to see the conclusion of this story arc. I DO admit I'm tired of Iraqica, so... I hope they get back into space soon.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Megabyte, what the hell are you doing talking about tonight's episode now. Be quiet! I have to keep my eyes from scanning the text you just put down. Seriously, can't you bloody wait until Sunday? Here in Canada, we only get to watch it tonight!

But in response to Flydye's point: I was uncomfortable with the Iraq parralels too, and I thought about whether this was a good thing or a bad thing. My conclusion is that the obvious parralels don't bother me, and that's because they're essentially organic components of the show. The writers didn't force this Iraq theme on the show in a phony, unnatural way. Rather, what is going on, plotwise, is entirely plausible within the framework of the universe and characters that have already been established. In short, it's completely believable. If this episode had aired in 1980, it would be just as believable, just as interesting. So why condemn it just because it happens to also coincide with current political issues too?

[ October 14, 2006, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

I'm sorry. For me, they slipped the whole suspension of disbelief thing when the Cylons, who have been planning for decades to wipe out mankind, suddenly come to "liberate" them. They've already liberated 12 planets worth of humans into a higher dimension. Why shouldn't the meatbags welcome them?

And there are lots of other little pokes I dislike. Cylons have at least 5 basestars and the wreckage of 12 colonies to draw upon. One assumes they have factories to create more of themselves. Yet they are "stretched thin"? Somehow Six and friend are able to talk the entire Cylon machine to change course in 36 hours. Rigging an election is okay as long as it's to keep out Gaius Bush...I mean Baltar from doing "something dangerous". That alone is a dangerous path to suggest.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But it's kind of like having sex with a girl who has no compunction with answering her cell phone in flagrante delicto. The pleasure was muted compared to what it could have been.

My take.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

" But it's kind of like having sex with a girl who has no compunction with answering her cell phone in flagrante delicto. The pleasure was muted compared to..."

...the cell phone. Nice analogy, fly. Extremely vivid yet somehow subtle.

"For me, they slipped the whole suspension of disbelief thing when the Cylons, who have been planning for decades to wipe out mankind, suddenly come to "liberate" them."

Reversing lenses, so we see not New Caprica as Iraq but Iraq as New Caprica, I note that there are those of this world who heard American claims of 'liberating' Iraq with similar skepticism. THey don't necessarily see us as 'wipe-em-out' Cylons (Sri Lankans? [Wink] ) but definitely NOT as benevolent liberators.

Funny, though, that at the poles of the Iraq/New Caprica debate, we find attitudes as extreme as those of a somewhat ham-handed allegorical plot device:

A) Stay The Course: these colors don't run; first Iraq, then Iran, then the world will be liberated under Pax USA; we are the embodiment of good, they are the embodiment of evil, or

B) America Great Shaitan: death to the invaders; Allah uber alles; first Iraq, then Israel, then the world will be liberated under Sharia; they are the embodiment of evil, we are the embodiment of good...

Compared to prevailing politicl debate presented on mainstream media, BSG's analogy is subtler than the real thing.

Wow. I'm a ral gentle guy but if I was a youngblood humpin' a hunee and she asnwered her cell phone amid coitus... I'd grab a dildo from the drawer, grab the cell from her hand, and tell her to talk into the dildo while I crammed the cell up her hoo-hoo...

[ October 14, 2006, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And there are lots of other little pokes I dislike. Cylons have at least 5 basestars and the wreckage of 12 colonies to draw upon. One assumes they have factories to create more of themselves. Yet they are "stretched thin"? Somehow Six and friend are able to talk the entire Cylon machine to change course in 36 hours.
I should know better than to predict what happens on this show, but I get the distinct feeling that the occupation on New Caprica doesn't have the universal support of the Cyclons.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To jasonr: I gave the spoilers warning! What more do you want? Yes, I know they were irresistable. But still.

Oh, anyone else notice the Nickelback song they used in the previews up to the season premiere?

Anyway, back to the show at hand: You're right, kenmeer, the show IS being more subtle than the real thing, at least to an extent. Adn it isn't being quite obvious about preaching. And the most recent episode is less preachy still.

It does seem believable, considering all the characters adn plotlines involved.

I just get the feeling that New Iraqica (I love that phrase) wasn't supposed to just be "Americans bad - Freedom Fighters good!" message. It seemed not a one for one analogy for the United States, but instead a question focusing much more on when it's right to fight back in such fashion. Though they didn't seem to look all THAT favorably on suicide bombings. Yes, they had them happen, which made sense, and with a sympathetic character, no less, but they didn't feel as if they were showing this as a great thing they were doing.

Adn the message of the whole election episode seemed closer to "we cannot destroy democracy, rigging elections is wrong, even if it's for such an obviously good cause as keeping Gaius "the Xenocide" Baltar out of the office which he is so obviously not cut out for.

I know it seems like Caprica and Boomer (I guess I'll call THAT #8 by the call-sign Boomer. Eh, why not?) worked fast, but... well, I dunno. That bit DID seem to be a strech, I'll give.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

"I should know better than to predict what happens on this show, but I get the distinct feeling that the occupation on New Caprica doesn't have the universal support of the Cyclons. "

That's the problem. The entire plot line seems contrived. We have never been offered much of an explaination of WHY the Cylons are doing this.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"That's the problem. The entire plot line seems contrived. We have never been offered much of an explaination of WHY the Cylons are doing this."

Well, seeing as how it IS somewhhat an allegory of USA in Iraq, this seems apt...

Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Political allegory in a piece of sci-fi that takes itself seriously? THIS IS A DISGUSTING CRIME AGAINST EVERYTHING SCIENCE FICTION STANDS FOR!

On a more sensible note though, I think the original blogger was making too much of a big deal about it. The description of hte new season on a Cylon planet sounds like it's riddled with dystopian and post-apocalyptic science fiction cliches following a bog standard "mankind opressed under 'superior and enlightened' aliens" storyline. This sounds like the same sort of tilting at windmills we saw when people got upset at the Star Wars prequel allegedly being some sort of critique of Bush. It's almost as pointlessly silly as the folks who tried to argue that the prequels were racist because Jango Fett is a negative portrayal of hispanics [Smile]

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

"That's the problem. The entire plot line seems contrived. We have never been offered much of an explaination of WHY the Cylons are doing this. "

So now we know BSG's target audience [Big Grin]

flydye45
unregistered

Opps, wrong cut and paste.

It should read:

"Well, seeing as how it IS somewhhat an allegory of USA in Iraq, this seems apt..."

So now we know BSG's target audience [Big Grin]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Hey, you guys made the connexion. I think they're just trying to boost rating by making it 'relevant'.
KnightEnder
unregistered

They have given us reasons why the Cylons are doing this. Whoever said that they haven't either hasn't been paying attention or didn't get it. Which is nothing to be ashamed of, it's subtle.

KE

[ October 20, 2006, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Just now watching it, and I'm going to be pissed if Colonol Tye kills his wife. She saves him and he kills her? She's not a soldier.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

He FRACKING killed her! It's his fault! She wasn't a soldier. He shouldn't have let her have the map. He should shoot himself!

Like the Cylons say; maybe we don't deserve to live if that is how we treat people who love us and sacrifice everything for us. If she'd been my wife I'd have taken her place or fought to defend her to the death. Fracking bastard!

KE

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

I know I know I know I know!

At first I couldn;'t believe it. Then they made it as absolutely clear as they fracking could.

ARGHHHHH!

You know, this show IS making a point of... kinda making us wonder if we should survive or not, too.

Also: The whole speech about why not to let them go was good. "What, so you can go and live alone, and tell your children about the cylons who were once your servants, then turned on you and committed genocide? Then they'll tell their children, on and on forever until humanity returns to space to go Cylon hunting once again?"

Anyway. As I said in that other thread: Best space battle I've ever seen.

This show is actually getting better. Is that... possible?

flydye45
unregistered

"He FRACKING killed her! It's his fault! "

Certainly. So, when they were married in peacetime and she was shagging every junior officer in the fleet; was she saving his life then? When she got involved with that politician, was she saving his life then?

She divorced him. Only when he became second in command after the attack did she Tigh herself to him again. She went to the Cylons for the same reason, with the added patina of noble self sacrifice. She, as always, got in over her head.

Perhaps she was changing her spots. She got folks killed and there was enough to doubt her sincerity. Tigh had no choice. If he didn't, someone else would have. They didn't care.

[ October 23, 2006, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
******* SPOILER ALERT **********

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
He FRACKING killed her! It's his fault! She wasn't a soldier. He shouldn't have let her have the map. He should shoot himself!

Like the Cylons say; maybe we don't deserve to live if that is how we treat people who love us and sacrifice everything for us. If she'd been my wife I'd have taken her place or fought to defend her to the death. Fracking bastard!

KE

I find this to be way too complicated for a simple judgement. I understand why he killed her - EVERYONE was involved in the battle to save the human race from extinction - and that's the war the guy was fighting. ANYONE who aided the enemy was a traitor - and the consequences of her betrayal was EVERYONE'S destruction, in his view.

There's WAY more to it than that (potentially), but there's a start in his potential viewpoint.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

"Best space battle I've ever seen."

Also incredibly short. I wanted much more.

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Best space battle I've ever seen."

Also incredibly short. I wanted much more.

I agree 100 percent flydye. I could have used a good 15 minutes of space combat, but I suspect that they had too much to fit into this episode to spend much time on cool stuff like space conbat.

quote:
I find this to be way too complicated for a simple judgement. I understand why he killed her - EVERYONE was involved in the battle to save the human race from extinction - and that's the war the guy was fighting. ANYONE who aided the enemy was a traitor - and the consequences of her betrayal was EVERYONE'S destruction, in his view.

There's WAY more to it than that (potentially), but there's a start in his potential viewpoint.

I agree javelin. Based on the previews for next weeks show it looks like this theme is going to be expanded on in the form of mob justice on those suspected of working with the Cylons.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

"Which is nothing to be ashamed of, it's subtle."

Thank you much for the condesending tone. I caught the 3rd season justifications. My problem is I don't buy it.

"We'll kill off 99.5% of your population, but now we want to live in peace and harmony...as long as you know your place."

Quite the salesmen, those pesky Cylons.

flydye45
unregistered

"I could have used a good 15 minutes of space combat, but I suspect that they had too much to fit into this episode to spend much time on cool stuff like space conbat."

I was thinking that the budget was the limiting factor, not the attention span of the viewer or the need to "move the story".

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that the limited budget was a factor. This was a pivotal episode taking the humans from captives on a planet to fugatives in space again, and they had to account for a lot of elements. Sure, some of them could have been shifted to an earlier episode in some way or shown later as some sort of flashback filling in details when they were needed. Just to list a few of the details there was the general escape itself, the killing of Tigh's wife which sets up the retribution against collaberators theme, the rescue of Starbuck, the death of Hara's foster mother and guards and her capture by the Cylons, the revelation that Starbucks daugheter was really someone elses daughter and she was being mindf***ed into thinking that it was hers, the development of Apollo's character by his bringing the Pegasus to assist Adama's mission, the reclamation of the Presidency by Laura Roslin, and the fact that Baltar was left on New Caprica. I'm sure that I missed a few, but that was a lot of story development to put into a single hour, though they did set some of it up before hand and just show the culmination of those plot threads in this episode. I'm looking forward to what will happen over the next few episodes as everything shakes out. I do wish that they had a larger budget, but I don't imagine that they would be able to add as much space combat as I would like and keep the rest of the story as interesting as it has been. Maybe they need to expand the show format to one and a half or two hours apiece so that they can do it all, but then you may as well make a series of movies instead of a television serial.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

Does anyone think that they will make and market a Battlestar Galactica space combat video game?
flydye45
unregistered

SPOILER

It was interesting, from the writing perspective, with how they killed the Pegasus and seamlessly moved Baltar into the role of the guy on the scary chair ala the original series.

I'm not sure how the new Gaius is going to adapt to his role as Cylon lapdog.

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Yeah, flydye, I noticed those too. I both applaud them and curse them. I hated seeing the destruction of the Beast, even though it was necessary.

Though, the situations are the "same" they are also completely different at the same time. Especially good old Baltar. This seems a much more logical way for him to end up the Cylon lapdog... but he's not going to be anything like the old one, at least I hope. He's too much a good, developed character for that!

D@W: I'd love to see it. Actually, they made one a couple years ago, based on the old one.

But they need a new one. Based on this BSG. However... I'd almost find it more interesting to do not so much a fighter-combat game but more of a "take control of the Galactica!" game, more like what I heard stuff like.. what I heard Nexus(?)) was like. Only... instead of taking control of a bunch of ships, you've got the one, and the bad guys have a lot. So you'll have to run away, and only fight when its absolutely necessary.

KnightEnder
unregistered

I always wondered how Baltar ended up on that chair.

AMAZING how they've turned that two-dimensional bad guy on the original series into the most interesting character in this one. And there are a lot of interesting characters on this one. Not just Apollo, Starbuck, and Lorne Greene, and Balki of course.

But Fly, I don't think he will be the Cylon Lapdog anymore. I think they will use "him being right" (thus understanding humans, he is a genius after all and better than the rest of us) as an excuse to make him their leader, or at least Head of Homeland Human Hunting Affairs. <just a little jibe, nobody go ballistic>

And if you doubt her sincerity for why she did what she did I see your point. And yes she wasn't a good person. But neither was Tigh. I thought/bought that she was ****ing the toasters for her husband and thus HE, and only he, should have stood beside her. I've seen Star Trek. I know the NEEDS OF THE MANY OUTWAY THE NEEDS OF THE ONE. And I've seen a million John Wayne movies were this had to be done.

Plus, "she's my horse, why would I want someone else to shoot my horse?" So, I get why HE did it. I just don't think she deserved to die. She wasn't military. HE GAVE HER THE MAP. It was his fault! Don't give her anymore maps. Don't give the slut any access to military planning. Confine her. Not that that mattered since it was all going down so soon she couldn't have possibly done anything else to hurt them.

Every seen The Unit. They love their wives but they don't give them intel on future combat ops!

(Side note personal between me and Fly. Nobody else read; I always picture you in my mind like the good upstanding Tigh that took over when Adama was wounded. Not the alcoholic Tigh. And with two good eyes. Is that accurate? I'm 39, so it's not like I'm casting aspersions about age, and maybe I just picture you like that because in my liberal kool-aid addled mind most Reps are older than me?)

Fly, would you have shot your wife in the same circumstances? Okay, how about if she hadn't been a back stabbing slut and we accept my weak-assed weeping-heart liberal premise that she had changed and was sleeping with toasters to save Tigh's life?

To Tighs benefit; great acting, seriously. Best one-eyed acting I've seen since Robin Williams did Popeye. [Wink]

And yes Dave; Vigilante justice is coming next. And yes, Tigh set the stage.

And Dave; I dread Mr. Acada's execution. Will they believe he was tipping over the dog bowl? Will they care? How about Jammer saving the Chiefs wife? Will they care.

Did Jammer and Mr. Acada (Baltar's second) do the right thing? They thought they were doing the right thing by humanity.

I'd say "Yes" to Acada (he was helping the resistance and he had to maintain his position to do so). "No" to Jammer. He should have gotten out once he realized what was going on. But then the Chief's wife (Cali?) would be dead, so maybe he stayed so he could help from the inside. Will the Chief protect Jammer? I think so.

Silly note: I like the budding romance between Rosalyn and the original Apollo.

What's going to happen to the baby? Raised as the New Masai, I bet.

KE

[ October 23, 2006, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She divorced him. Only when he became second in command after the attack did she Tigh herself to him again. She went to the Cylons for the same reason, with the added patina of noble self sacrifice. She, as always, got in over her head.
I had a problem with this, of course. She's too selfish to be faithful to him when times are "good?" But willing to risk death for him otherwise? Seemed a bit of a stretch to me.

quote:
We'll kill off 99.5% of your population, but now we want to live in peace and harmony...as long as you know your place.
Yea, I had a problem with that one, too. [Smile]

It's still a good show, but the writers seem to be more interested in dramatic license vs. sensible reactions to dramatic confrontations.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Mr. Gaeta not Mr. Acada, sorry. Damn Vicodin and Crown.

KE

[ October 23, 2006, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Marilynn Monroe's fave combo (opiates and whiskey)
KnightEnder
unregistered

Apollo is fat (prosthetics) because? It is a sign that his life is out of control.

I BET FAT PEOPLE LOVE THAT.

He plans on thinning down to show that he is getting his **** back together.

Did y'all know he is English or Australian or something? Like Hugh Lauri is English, and Spike from Buffy was NOT English, but American. Amazes me that these guys can do voices the way they can.

Anyways, I wonder if the fat people of America are going to protest the show? I wouldn't blame them.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of the cast members are native to the Australian area of the world. I say "Australian area" cause I don't want to offend New Zealanders, but I've probably failed on that goal already. *sigh*
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

KE, you DO have a point about the overweight bit. However, part of me can understand it. At least, it's been awhile, but I can imagine a (now peacetime) Commander Adama (I've wanted to hear someone call him that ever since he took over the Beast.) feeling the weight (pun intended) of his traumatic experiences and near death episodes, beginning to overeat, and just... becoming weaker. But I do see it more as a function of the traumatic events of the second half of season two.

Still, yes. The whole overweight thing annoys me. (I AM overweight.) Ahh, weight... the last truly okay prejudice in the Western world.

But otherwise, it was fun.

Okay, yes, when I first heard Commander Adama's voice outside of the hsow, I was shocked. "What?! He's BRITISH?!!!" I mean... I heard no accent, none, while in the show! And he was DOING an accent! Gah!

So, yeah, I'm also dreading Gaeta's death. I don't WANT him to die! His actions were seriously helpful, saving lots of peolpe and really aiding the resistance far more than he could have by not being in that position. He really was a double agent for them, who concealed his identity to aid him in staying a double agent for them.

Mob justice is going to get... interesting.

Also: Do you really think Old Apollo and Roselin are going to get that much closer?! I liked him as the kind of foil he was, but how will he be now? Still up to the old tricks? I dunno, I really don't, this whole "New Caprica" thing really seems to have changed pretty much everything, rather permenantly.

I keep reeling from the fact that, with each big event, things DON'T GO BACK TO HOW THEY WERE. And they stay that way, and the events really leave permenant marks. After the whole Kobol thing, things really didn't restabilize for a long time, and even then the people weren't the same, the feeling wasn't quite the same. After Pegasus, same deal. After this... well, this is much bigger than Pegasus. And the effects seem to have permenantly (I hope!) shaken things up.

Also: What about the whole command structure? Will Helo stay on as XO? What about (the now former) Commander Adama? Tye is gonna die, no doubt. He won't last through this season. Kara? I dunno. Anders? He's cool, he'll be fine. Hmm. Things are going to be really interesting, it seems. At least, I hope!

flydye45
unregistered

quote:
I don't think he will be the Cylon Lapdog anymore. I think they will use "him being right" (thus understanding humans, he is a genius after all and better than the rest of us) as an excuse to make him their leader, or at least Head of Homeland Human Hunting Affairs.
He has nowhere else to go. But does that mean he becomes the guy who somehow hunts the humans down? How does he justify that in his mind? What can they offer him that makes that attractive besides "we'll shoot you if you don't"?

quote:
I thought/bought that she was ****ing the toasters for her husband and thus HE, and only he, should have stood beside her.
Here is a little outside perspective weighing in. Tigh didn't know why or how he was released, until she told him at the end. And, yes, I saw her face when she wasn't looking at the Cylon guy, and I will grant her sincerity.

She wasn't "given" the map; she solicited it. "Don't get up, honey. I'll do that for you." She didn't boff Cylons until Tigh was free. She kept up the practice afterward.

She played games. She could have come to Tigh and told him so he could have up with a plan to offset the betrayal, or turned her as a double. She didn't. Whose life was she saving again?

There was no choice. Tigh did the only honorable thing by doing it himself, but he's been twisted up in the bitterness a bit too much. If my wife did something similar, I'd have no choice either. The question is would I have the courage to do what Tigh did.

No, you don't get an answer to that or my hypothetical age.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page