Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Hawaii & Daruma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hawaii & Daruma
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody heard from Daruma? I hope the earthquake didn't cause him any problems.

I don't know many of the details concerning the quake that hit the Islands, but it would be nice to hear that Daruma is okay.

Anybody hears anything pleas post it.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A strong earthquake and sharp aftershocks jolted awake Hawaii residents, causing landslides breaking windows and shaking some buildings from their foundations, but causing no immediate reports of serious injuries.
From CNN frontpage
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daruma? He STARTED the earthquake. He practiced his poi-poi act after finishing a bowl of my black-beans'n'rice chili.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's probably thinking of how this could serve his libertarian agenda.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it wrong of me to wish that it was the big hole that sucked him up?

[Smile]

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Daruma is all that is good and loyal and true and fair and... anyway, he owes me money. Can't have him sucked up by big holes until we're square.

[ October 16, 2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love you too, Z. LMAO

KE, Mahalo nui loa! Thanks for your concerns, rest assured, I am fine!

Just got the power back on about an hour ago.

The quake was close to the Big Island, but we felt it pretty good over here. First time in my life I've ever experienced an Earthquake. It was a 6.8 followed by a 5.4 aftershock.

I had just woken up and not even brewed my first cup of coffee...I had turned on the Rams/Seahawks game and was just getting into the game when my TV started bouncing! All my hunting dogs in my backyard went absolutely crazy, along with all of the other dogs in the neighborhood. In fact, just before the quake hit, my dogs were all whining and acting way out of character for how they normally are in their kennel's first thing in the morning. Of claims that animals can sense seismic events before they are discernible by us Humans, I no longer doubt!!

It felt like a giant had picked up the corner of my house and gave it a good shake!

However, nothing fell or broke. My good buddy who I was supposed to go hunting with this afternoon called me up. While he was talking to me, his power went out. I told him, "My power is still on." As soon as the words left my lips, the power went out. LOL

So I turn on my battery powered radio and only two stations are on still playing music (We have about 30 or so stations here...almost all of them were off...very wierd to hear only one station without any competing signals...I could catch the same station all over the dial.).

After about half-an-hour, the radio station finally comes on with civil defense and we find out that every single power station has sensors that trigger a total shutdown of all turbines in the event of a seismic occurence. Since my island, O'ahu, has the most development and population, we have the largest and highest density electrical grid, so the electric company had to complete an entire inspection of our island's four power plants before they could start the turbines back up and bring the power back online. The neighbor islands, who have much smaller or less dense grids were back up and running within an hour or two of the quake, but not my island....I had no power for most of the day.

For this avid camper and tailgater, this was not a problem. I've got propane stoves, lanterns and plenty of fuel.

My wife on the other hand, has had a miserable day working at Honolulu International Airport. She had to go into work and deal with an across-the-board cancellation of flights and the backup power at the airport did not power her airline's computer system.

She was supposed to work a four hour shift...but is still working at this moment, 8 hours later. She just called me for a moment to tell me what's going on, and she hasn't eaten or had more than 5 minutes break all day.

I didn't bother to tell her about the great meal I made (Chili, rice and steak) by setting up my camping propane stove in the kitchen, or that since I had nothing to do, I began to drink all my beer that's been in my fridge untouched for awhile. [Big Grin]

Wow - I just got a call from her again while typing this post. She has to stay at her work until the last plane that hasn't been cancelled leaves Honolulu Airport, which means she'll get off around 1:00am!! She started at 9:00 am this morning. If you ever watched that A&E reality show "Airline", that's basically what my wife does: she is a flight controller. She always says that air travel just seems to bring out the worst in people... [Frown]

So now I'm sitting here with a pleasant beer buzz, getting ready to make some dinner.

Man, what a day. I actually went to the grocery store to by my steak and chili, because the radio told us not to open our refrigerator's or freezers while the power was out so that our food would remain unspoiled as long as possible.

I had to stand in line at the front door of the store, and they only let a few people in at a time so that there was not too much people shopping in a basically dark store.

Of course there was no ice or charcoal by the time I got into the store.

But at least I got some steak...they ran out right after I grabbed one of the last packages.

I have to tell you guys, I've always had a nice stock of supplies and food stored in my garage because of the possibility of Hurricanes, but you can't believe how many normal people are simply never prepared for anything until it's too late.

I certainly didn't have to go to the store, but did cause I had nothing else to do and felt like grabbing some steak and checking out the scene. It was unsettling to drive on roads with no power and all of the traffic lights dead. 4 way stops at every intersection. It was nice to see most people driving being courteous and safe...

That being said, while the drivers courtesy and cooperation were as good as could be considering the circumstances, the grocery store was a different matter. People were almost desperate while trying to grab up supplies like bottled water, charcoal, lighter fluid, small portable grills, ice etc.

After grabbing my steak and chili, I went driving around town to try and find a convenience store or another grocery store that might have ice - but everywehere I went had long lines and singns saying they were out of charcoal and ice.

It was kinda like a bizarre scene out of a hollywood post-apocalyptic tv show! And to think how many of my friends and family have called me paranoid because I do in fact have such a large supply of emergency food, water gears and supplies!

Anyhow, short of a massive hurricane or nuke from North Korea, most events that occur on this island usually won't affect me -- I'm fine, but I do appreciate everyone who expressed concern!

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad to hear you are well, figured you would be but thought the power and water might take awhile to get back on line, and I'd imagined that people would go 'oh crap' once they realized they didn't have much ice and water on hand.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"I didn't bother to tell her about the great meal I made (Chili, rice and steak)"

There he goes, off to start another quake...

KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are doing good, Daruma. Keep us posted.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my power is actually intermittant. It's gone off and on twice since my last post. I'm going to shut down and leave my computer off before I get another power outage.

Other than the outtages, things are pretty normal around here now.

Thanks again for the well wishes!

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you are all right Daruma. It's kind of a creepy feeling, the floor rolling under your feet while on dry land, isn't it? I've been through three, one minor one in the late 80's here in Illinois, and one minor and one major one while in California in the 90's. The major one was the Northridge quake in the mid 90's. I always keep a stock of emergency supplies on hand just in case, but I will take this as a reminder to take stock. Who know when the next tornado will strike or if the New Madrid fault will decide to let go and level the midwest. Good luck with the next few days while things readjust back to normal.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to here you pretty much escaped any real harm. Well other than the fact you didn't get to see the Seahawks come back in the final seconds to win.

God if htey can only get back to the big dance this year and get some decent neutral officiating.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, bouncing quake. Haven't felt too many of those. Mostly the side-to-side variety.

Anyway, glad to hear you're OK, Daruma. I was a bit worried your house may have slid down into the bay or something.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page