Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » I can't get good drugs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I can't get good drugs
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a really stuffy nose, and a sinus headache. I tried to go buy pseudoephedrine last night, but the pharmacy was closed, so no luck. They have phenylephrine instead. It's not working.

Nasal sprays do work but the containers say not to use them for more than 3 days because it'll make things worse. I've reached my limit.

Going to the doctor for a prescription just takes more trouble and time than it's worth, assuming they'll even prescribe anything.

Ephedra/ephedrine used to work for me but of course we can't get that either now.

It's probably just petty frustration talking, but I'm thinking I'm pretty much willing to let a few idiots cook their brains on meth so I can have easy access to safe, effective drugs.

The real point of this post is: the war on drugs is extending to safe, medicinal drugs that can potentially be made into bad, mean drugs. Is it worth it?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm glad that a point has been reached for you where it's not worth it [Big Grin]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the hot pepper nose spray stuff - I think there are a couple of different brands.

Some deep breathing exercises should probably help, too.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you Scifibum. I came down with a cold at the beggining of the semester and when I went to get some DayQuil it was no longer available on the shelf. I had to go to the Pharmacy and sign something in order to purchase it. You don't need a prescription though. At least here in Illinois. I recall that when I was in the Marines, products containing ephedrine were removed from the PX, but it was because people were abusing it for weight loss, combating fatigue, and other purposes.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Claritin has actually started a campaign with the slogan "Thank you, Claritan, for not changing your ingredients," followed by explanations that you can still get the wonderful product behind the counter and without a prescription.

It is frustrating, though, when the pharmacy's closed or has a long line. Plus, I feel like I'm picking up my methadone when I have sign for some Drixoral.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The war on drugs has almost never been worth it.

ETA: How can you win a war when you're funding both sides of it?

[ October 18, 2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Ivan ]

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean like in Vietnam, where we were giving money to the corrupt south generals, who were then using that money to sell heroin to our soldiers?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm torn on the issue. Since I can't have stimulants or depressants (unless it's right before bed, and I can't do that alone because I won't wake up for fire alarms or anything), I've had all kinds of fun drugs for colds (Prednisone makes a great cold medicine).

I don't know... it's not much of a hassle for me, but, then again, I'm a student and my health center provides the doctor and the drugs.

I usually don't use drugs unless it's a really, really severe cold and/or I have to travel.

Try Mucinex DM. It's a completely different type of drug, but it is amazing. When I found out I couldn't take Sudafed anymore, I was worried, but not after I found this stuff.

25mg DM, 500mg Guaifenesin, I think. Or around that. It really gets things moving.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the recommendation Lisa. M. [Smile]

quote:
Plus, I feel like I'm picking up my methadone when I have sign for some Drixoral.
EXACTLY! Now we're all under surveillance and suspicion when we want to treat our colds. Meanwhile the meth is probably flowing freely from Mexico and elsewhere, mocking our feeble and misdirected efforts to limit access to Sudafed.

[ October 18, 2006, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it is a creepy feeling. Will booze be next?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page