Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Would you have gone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you have gone?
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
GEORGETOWN, Pennsylvania: Dozens of Amish neighbours came out to mourn the quiet milkman who killed five of their young girls and wounded five more in a maniacal rampage.
Charles Carl Roberts, 32, was buried at the weekend in his wife's family plot behind a small Methodist church, a few kilometres from the Amish schoolhouse he stormed last Monday.

His wife, Marie, and their three small children looked on as Roberts was buried beside the grave, marked with a pink heart, of the infant daughter whose death nine years ago apparently haunted him, said Bruce Porter, a fire department chaplain from Colorado who attended.

About half of perhaps 75 mourners on hand were Amish.

"It's the love, the forgiveness, the heartfelt forgiveness they have toward the family. I broke down and cried seeing it displayed," Mr Porter said.

He said Marie Roberts was also touched. "She was absolutely deeply moved, by just the love shown."

link

A friend e-mailed me this story, I never saw anything about it here. Maybe I just missed it.

I mean, the Amish going to his funeral, of course, not the "breaking news" ratings event coverage we all got for two days.

Would you have gone if they were your kids, or your neighbors?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do funerals. I'd probably be arrested as a suspect. I'd only be gloating anyway.

The irony is that the Amish, once anabaptist revolutionaries, became intractable reactionaries. Cripes! They remind me of Christianists.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. And neither would almost anyone in the world.

This is perhaps the only demonstration of selfless love I have ever heard of. It's really a unique thing. It's the very essence of true Christianity.

Clearly, the Amish are special.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not Christian, Jason: Christ-like. It is more in the manner of Christ -- quite the antithesis of Christianity.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stow it Richard.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loki
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Loki   Email Loki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha, i like that one, richard.

That is truly admirable behavior, makes me want to shake hands with an Amish.

Posts: 311 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Richard on this one. Much, much Respect to the Amish. I very much doubt I could have done it.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is admirable, but give ourselves credit. We too know how to forigive those whose fault it wasn't, and to recognize how their pain reflects ours. THe AMish in this situatio were especially poised to know that that which cost them their children also cost Marie Roberts pert near everything her life was based on.

As for the murderer himself: Love thine enemies. Judge not that ye be not judged. Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord. Cast not the first stone.

The Amish, like Richard said, aspire to be Christ-like. This probably has something to do with them distancing themselves as much as possible from status quo Christianity, which was at best only vagulty Christ-like when the klight was just so and you squinted your eyes just right.

Like an optical illusion Shroud of Turin.

But people, mere people, can often be admirably Christ-like. (And of course, amazingly demonic too.)

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I could have done it. Try to be there for his widow and his children maybe even a few weeks or months down the road? I'd like to think I could do that, once feelings weren't so raw and wounds so open.

I don't think it even would have occured to me to attend his funeral.

I might not agree with all aspects of their creed, but the degree to which they live up to it just staggers me.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page