Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » TELEVISION IS TOO GOOD!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TELEVISION IS TOO GOOD!
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm going to regret this twenty years from now when Tommy is forty years old and he pulls up this post out of ancient archive and makes fun of me because VR or whatever the hell they will have then makes today's visuals and production values obsolete, but;

MAN PRODUCTION VALUES ON TELEVISION ARE FRACKING FABULOUS!

The new production values and writing on the new "Battlestar Galactica" are awesome! And I couldn't even bring myself to watch "Doctor Who" on BBC or PBS because it looked so cheesy, but it is an incredibly awesome show now that I wouldn't miss. Not to mention "Heroes", "Stargate SG1", "Stargate Atlantis", "Eureka", "Outer Limits", "Smallville" and "Lost".

This is truly the Golden Age for Science Fiction Television. [Smile] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Cool]

And that's not counting the great ones we've lost like "Firefly", "Buffy", and "Angel", and "Roswell". [Frown]

And that's just Science Fiction. I haven't even mentioned all the great 'regular' shows. Shows such as "Grey's Anatomy" and "House". I'm glad my kids needed 'quality time' in the 90's when television sucked! They're on their own now!

KE

[ October 20, 2006, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You saw tonight's BSG, right?

My God. It was the best space battle I've ever seen. Certianly the best looking. And perhaps the most emotional.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that part of it is the decent sales of seasons via DVD. Add on to that all the cable channels available nowadays. There's a lot of competition for eyeballs. Of course, technology these days helps with special effects, too.

I actually haven't seen any of the shows you've listed except Heroes...maybe I've seen an episode or two of Smallville but I honestly can't remember. Scifi isn't included in the basic cable package anymore here. To be honest, while I've been drawn into the story of Heroes, the special effects don't seem that great. Maybe I just haven't seen enough dissected bodies to know, but I always remember I'm watching a tv show and not a movie every time they show a removed skull.

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quality really started kicking up on STNG. I know it looks cheesy now (and, I'm one of those folks who watches star treck if it's on, not one of those who collects blueprints of different versions of the Enterprise) but when it came out it was a complete revolution in the quality of Sci-Fi/Fantasy production values.

A lot of these shows, SG-1 for instance, don't have those kind of budgets and still produce a pretty visually appealing product. That's what blows me away. It's not that they seem just like big budget films, but what they can accomplish with a tiny fraction of those budgets.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big SciFi fan, although my daughter got the "Firefly" DVDs, and I'm quickly getting hooked.

I'm definitely with you on "Grey's Anatomy" and "House"...those are the two shows I'll go out of my way to watch (or record).

Cable's offering up some good stuff, too. "Deadwood" is absolutely awesome.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also worth noting that many of these shows with high visual appeal have also embraced the importance of the story in recent years. That hasn't always been the case.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best new stuff on TV from my point of view...

Everybody Hates Chris

Earl

I'm not much of one for the soap opera. I like shows in which episodes stand alone as good television whether or not I saw the last five.

Think..Northern Exposure until the last season. Sure, there was a storyline, but every episode is fun to watch even if you never saw the show before and have no idea who these people are. MASH and Cheers and Sienfeld were all the same way.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
House is stand alone. Loved MASH, I can quote every episode word for word. I used to couldn't go to sleep without watching two episodes of it.

Deadwood is going bye bye. Because although it is a great show, NOTHING happened the last ten episodes!

I love the guy that plays Earl, but I've never watched one.

Standoff is good, with Ron Livingstone. Office Space is a must see movie for anybody that has ever had a job they didn't like.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Office
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesse, you nailed why I can't watch TV these days -- too hard to know the characters and plots in these soap style series (is the plural of series serieses?). I really wanted to watch Heroes and possibly a couple others, but when I can't guarantee being able to sit down and watch it (even if I tivoed it, I might not get to it!), then it's tough.

I try to catch House everyone once in awhile. It has a bit of growth that requires linear attention, but yes -- episodes can stand alone.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matteo522
Member # 3103

- posted      Profile for Matteo522   Email Matteo522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I only have two shows that I follow like that -- Heroes and Lost. Both of those shows I didn't watch immediately, but heard lots of good things from friends. I then went and downloaded the episodes I missed and watched them (I've got a Mac Mini I hook up to my TV as a media center) all in order. I'm now hooked on both.

Am I pirating? Yeah. But I sure as hell am doing ABC/NBC a big favor by doing that. I plan my weeks around those shows now. [Razz]

Matt

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually miss Heroes when it's on TV but NBC's website let's you view the latest episode online. So far I've watched them all sometime during the week before the next one comes out.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matteo522
Member # 3103

- posted      Profile for Matteo522   Email Matteo522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they just have the last one or the full archive online? I tried going onto their site, but I keep all fancy multimedia disabled on Firefox and it crashed my IE, so I didn't get very far. [Razz]
Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page