Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Old-Young Conundrum (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Old-Young Conundrum
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, not so much a puzzle as a situation.

I've found that a lot of my peers at work are both younger than me, but are family men and women. This puts me in a strange place, where I assume I'm younger than them, only to discover later that I'm in fact several years or more older.

Should I crank out some kids? Am I falling behind the curve? [Eek!]

Heh, but seriously, I am sometimes taken by surprise by the whole thing.

Anybody have similar experiences from either perspective?

It's especially strange for me because I was married younger than many of my peers back in the day.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are anywhere near my age (41, gawd), Drake, you're part of the group that "waited" (though apparently you didn't wait, just didn't have children during the marriage).

Dem young folk are going back to more traditional ages of marrying/having children, like the folks just older than us.

ETA and aren't you in Utah? Bit different demographics there, too, I think.

[ October 21, 2006, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Funean ]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be one year shy 60 when my youngest turns 21.

There's something to be said for starting in your 20s so you can relax when you turn 50. (Kenmeer, whose daughter failed to let us know this morning that she'd gone out for breakfast with her co-workers after getting off at 4 AM from her job serving drinks at a strip joint on the Wa/Id stateline. Her mom was worried sick, as they say, and has just now finished devising a new rectum for her forgetful daughter. Strip joint... state line... 4 AM... like a recipe for Mann Act nightmares... At 6:45 AM I paged the restaurant where she mentioned she and her coworkers frequent. She was supposed to have Gramma's car home by 6:00. 'Yeah, I know,' she told me over the courtesy phone. 'What time is it?' Duh...)

Drake, get yourself a vasectomy and sell your sperm to science. You'll thank me someday.

[ October 21, 2006, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for reminding me of what I have to look forward to, ken.

Lessee...I'll be just about 51 when the Evil Genius becomes a teenaged girl <shudder>. And pushing 60 when she finishes college.

Assuming we all survive her teens.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to think late 20's early 30's is ideal for having children. You're still spry enough to run around with them and keep after them until they graduate high school, hopefully, but not so young that you have no accumulated wisdowm to help with the rearing of the young-uns.

Oh. BTW. My biological clock is ticking [Frown] I'm 27 and starting to want kids [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

Get cracking, Ev!

By the way, there is no point at which you feel competent enough to have kids, so if you're waiting for that, don't bother. [Big Grin]

Everard
unregistered

I'm working on it! Working on convincing a woman that I migth make a good husband/father first, though, before I actually HAVE the kids [Smile]
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 20 and there is this tiny part of my brain that keeps going "Babies! Now!"

Fortunately, I have managed to convince most of my brain that it might be best to wait to have someone to have those babies with and some money with which to pay for said babies.

I'm still amazed at how many people my age I know who are married and having non-accidental babies. (I'm 20, for reference)

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard, meet Lisa. [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

No no [Smile] I have a woman that I'm trying to convince [Smile]
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Lisa, get in line. j/k
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funean:
ETA and aren't you in Utah? Bit different demographics there, too, I think.

True. Utah is a family-early state. It wasn't as pronounced in Cali.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh. BTW. My biological clock is ticking [Frown] I'm 27 and starting to want kids [Smile]
Yeah, I'm 26, me too. But I need a girlfriend first. That could take a while.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

With the way you seem to cook, thats somewhat surprising...
KnightEnder
unregistered

Shoot I waited until 21 here in Texas and I was considered an old maid. Upside, five years (I'll be 44) they both will be at college and I get my life back. Mostly.

KE

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girlfriends are easy...finding a woman to raise kids with is another matter entirely.

I'd get some, if they just started out potty trained and three years old, and then skipped everything between 13 and 18 and went off to school.

When they're old enough to ask interesting questions, and young enough to accept that you might have some answers, kids are great.

Edited to add

Jason, meet Everard.

[Razz]

[ October 21, 2006, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh?
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

quote:
With the way you seem to cook, thats somewhat surprising...
Well I'm more a baker than a cook. I was thinking of lowering a cheese cake on a line out my window and seeing what I catch. Judging by the reaction of the secretary pool to cheese cakes at the office every time there's a big event, I think it might work [Smile]
KnightEnder
unregistered

Yeah, chicks and guys dig guys that can cook. I married Stacy cause she was hot, but the fact that she is a great cook has been more important over the last 19 years.

KE

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did make coq-au-vin for a male friend recently. We'll see how that pans out XD

This whole "still not sure about liking men" thing complicates things, but they sure are easier than women.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's a good broodmare when you need one?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Easier as in sexually, or simpler? Oh yeah both, but which one did you mean? (What's XD? I'm old)

KE

Gaoics79
Member # 969

quote:
What's XD? I'm old)
Enraged cross eyed dude?
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most interesting thing for me (26) is that my sister (24) has two kids and is married already. I've found that being a really good uncle has put off any desire I had for my own children. But at the same time, the fact that she's already started has caused an escalation of questions about when I'll be getting married (they skip girlfriend questions altogether now). And I'm working on my Ph.D., so I have NO social life and most of my classmates are taken (at least the interesting ones). So I think I'll just have to wait until I can date my clients [Wink]
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Getting your life together and then having kids? Aupton, you may be on to something! Wish i'd thought of that. [Smile]

KE

Funean
Member # 2345

[LOL] KE. Is that even possible?
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Drake:
Should I crank out some kids?

If you think your DNA is worth anything you will.

quote:
Am I falling behind the curve? [Eek!]
In Utah you are. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa M.:
This whole "still not sure about liking men" thing complicates things, but they sure are easier than women.

Easier to please, easier to understand as well.

At least, I think so. So does Dr. Laura, so I suppose I'm in good company. [LOL]

[ October 21, 2006, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: pickled shuttlecock ]

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa

We're men. We don't need to be liked to be happy.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

XD is a face that is grinning/laughing so that its eyes are squinty.

And it's much harder to find a girlfriend than a boyfriend, at least. Statistically, 10% of girls are interested in girls, and 90% of guys are interested in girls. If you know a roughly equal number of guys and girls, odds are it's easier to find a guy that likes you than a girl that likes you.

Jesse
Member # 1860

Depends on where you are, I suppose.

On a slightly more serious note...

You're young Lisa!!! No rush. I was totally celibate for from 21-24, I mean, no dating or nothin'. Then I met my Wife. (who is shooting a film 12-14 hours a day six days a week...which is why I'm on here so much lately)

I'm not saying don't try to work out for yourself what you want and all, just don't get too wrapped up in calculating percentages to optomize your chances [Wink] You've got plenty of time.

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

It's just obnoxious because in high school I was hardly ever single, and now I've been single for three years.

I know it's kind of silly to be concerned about, but it's tough because all of my cousins are getting married (or at least in long-term-relationships), and it seems like every time the family gets together they want to know if I've gotten myself a LTR yet. Nevermind that I'm the youngest cousin by two years.

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't want a long-term relationship with a 20-year-old anyway. They're all very immature at your age.

My sister-in-law had a tough dating life between 19 and 20. Now she's 21, and the guys can't get enough of her. She hasn't changed much, but the men around her suddenly find her personality very attractive.

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

quote:
Originally posted by pickled shuttlecock:
If you think your DNA is worth anything you will.

I'm working on the online storefront selling batches of my DNA. I'm planning to father a group of supermen. I wonder what my price-point should be?

Also, would a Flash "harvesting" animation be in poor taste?

Funean
Member # 2345

>snerk<

What does dry-ice packaging run these days?

And since most of your customers will prolly be lesbos, I'd advise against the harvest Flash.

I wonder if Ebay *has* a category for your, er, product?

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me daughter shares your predicament, Lisa. She also went girlfriendless in high school.

And she's a hottie (like you).

Go figure.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

I just made the most godly cheesecake ever. I really am thinking about putting it out my window on a fishing line. I calculated that the cream cheese alone contains over 4000 calories. Mmmmmm here women women...
Jesse
Member # 1860

You gotta be carefull feedin em like that jason.
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I'm in no hurry to have kids.

First, I'll need to find a woman I'd want to have kids WITH.

Second, I'd need money. Adn I probably won't until after college... until I have a career.

Oh, well.

I'll probably be in my mid to late twenties when I have kids. By then, I might actually be a good father.

At this point? Hmm. I dunno. I know I'm not really skilled enough yet. Though... such skills won't come until I actually HAVE one.

I'm not the best with children so far, though. Though the children I meet are... spoiled brats who don't respect me at all.

Ah, well. We'll see.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living together relationship here (marriage by trial, I suppose). I love kids (and I'd like to think my DNA is worth it [Smile] ) but seeing the brimstone my parents are swimming in as they deal with my youngest brother is giving me paaauuuse.

Something about the inevitability of intergenerational conflict makes me wonder: Why do any of us really choose to spawn? Who are we really doing it for? [Confused]

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"You gotta be carefull feedin em like that jason."

Yeah. You wanna kiss a woman with hooks in her mouth?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page