Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » what the f--- is it with Americans and banning things??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what the f--- is it with Americans and banning things???
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the US now feels threatened by folic acid, to the point of searching on people coming from Australia for jars of vegemite. WTF???

Now, I'll be the first to agree that the stuff tastes like yeast infection (probably, speaking on surmise here.. I mean about the yeast...oh never mind. [Big Grin] ) but seriously - banning? Wasting resources on interdicting?

And does anyone else find it weird that a Krafts spokewoman is commenting??

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... what's vegemite?

And why is folic acid banned? (I haven't studied... folic acid. Or vegemite.)

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vegemite is a spread made of yeast. fockin 'orrible, mate. Stanks like a motha, too. But if people want to eat ti...
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eww. Thanks. But eww.

So why is folic acid banned again?

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Not clear
RickyB
Member # 1464

This smells of a hoax.
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tasted vegemite, and all I can say is yuck. However, I also know people that like it. The company librarian where I work is Australian, and he usually has a jar around. He even had some kind of biscuits made with vegemite in his office last week. I haven't heard anything about a ban on the stuff, and I can assure you that I would have heard about it if it was being discussed.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some in my pantry (I use it in homemade dog food). Am I going to get arrested?
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folic acid is a B-vitamin:

folic acid

As you can see from the image, it has made Condoleeza Rice look 20 years youger.

Powerful stuff, mate.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

*dies* yes, that is who that looks like, doesn't it?
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich!"

M@W

KE

[ October 23, 2006, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard Men at Work in ages. I really need to see if I can find one of their CD's. I really should just invest in a MP3 player so that I can just download the songs that I want and not worry about misplacing CD's like I tend to do.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for Tom Curtis   Email Tom Curtis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vegemite is the food of the gods. Personally, I like it about an eigth of an inch thick on my sandwichs, preferably with several slices of tomato, or cheese, or both. Top tucker, mate!

As for the yanks banning vegemite, so much for their belief in the free market, says I.

Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man what?
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not finding a reputable source on this one. It's the Free Republic website, and the news.com website. I cannot find anything at the US Food & Drug website, etc.

Can anyone find some solid information?

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is just an airplane regulation. Since you said it's a creamy spread, maybe it has similar texture to liquid-bomb stuff.

BTW, swearing in the title - classy. [Wink]

[ October 23, 2006, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't know that he's swearing....
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

I just talked with the company librarian where I work, who also happens to be an Australian and usually has Vegemite on hand. Apparently the ban has been around for some time, though not specifically against Vegemite. Enforcement has just been implemented resulting in the story posted in the initial post. Apparently FDA regulations on enriching foods intended for human consuption with folate make Vegemite and many other products enriched with folate illegal in the U.S. food supply.

Here is an FDA article on folic acid fortification. I havent read it in detail yet, but after skimming it I think that it says, among other things, that breakfast cereals and enriched cereal products such as flour, cornmeal, and rice can be enriched with folate but other products cannot. Apparently this was enacted back in the mid 90's sometime.

So yes, Vegemite is technically banned from being imported into the U.S. because of its folic acid enrichment, and while the ban has been in place since the mid 90's it has not been effectively enforced until recently. The solution seems to rest in one of two places. Either manufacture a Vegemite product without the folic acid enrichment for export to the U.S., or get the FDA regulation on folic acid enrichment changed.

I do not know or understand the science behind enrichments of food, so I cannot give any definitie answer as to whether the FDA regulations are proper or not. I imagine that one would have to determine what are the benefits and drawbacks to folic acid in the diet, how much folic acid is necessary to get the benefits, and at what amount do the drawbacks start to outweigh the benefits. One would then have to set a RDA (Reccomended Daily Allowance) of the stuff and determine how much is available naturally in the average American Diet. Then a choice should probably be made as to wheter and if so what food should be enriched or if supplements are the answer. I have no idea how to anwer these question, or what other questions need to be asked, but clearly they must be asked and answered befor making changes to FDA regulations on enrichments.

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, let's be clear, the FDA is constantly rejecting products based on non-sensical rules. But on the face of it, this one has at least some merit.

article

quote:

In 1998, after several years of deliberation, the FDA ruled on regulations for the mandatory addition of folic acid (the synthetic equivalent of folate) to breads, cereals, and other grain products, to assist in the prevention of neural tube defects such as spina bifida. Nine months after the policy was introduced, incidence of spina bifida was reportedly reduced by 31 percent. However, it is argued that the supplementation is inadequate and many more cases of birth defects could be avoided with a higher dosage.

Nevertheless, the FDA purports to the theory that too much folate can mask vitamin B12 deficiency in the elderly and, they argue, Vegemite contains just too much. I’m thinking the FDA hasn’t been reading the nutritional information panel on their jar of Vegemite, which suggests a 5 gram serving for 50% of the recommended dietary intake (RDI) of 200 micrograms of folate per day, or 400 micrograms for women of childbearing age.

Not only that, the Institute of Medicine has established a daily upper intake level (UL) of no more than 1000 micrograms of folic acid so as not to mask symptoms of B12 deficiency.

On some level, it makes sense, as it would be a problem if you just added folic acid to any random product. But this is a product made to be used with bread, so B12 is present in abundance in the manner in which the food is actually eaten.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, swearing in the title - classy. [Wink]
I hereby move that, henceforth, swearing be banned from the Title of all posts!

And that Ricky B banned for swearing in the title!

Muahahahahahahaha!!!!

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*** this, ******-******s!
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's a witch! Ban him! BAN him!

How do you know he's a witch?

'Cause he swears like one!

He turned me into a Newt... Gingritch!

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Don't you mean 'Greengrinch'?
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the summer of 1958 I was strip-searched for boll weavels at the Mississippi border. I was biking for cripes' sake. Egads! Next we'll be banning illegal immigrants!
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish we had a video of that, Richard. The Richard Dey boll weevil epidemic in living color. Sorry, I am sure it was not much fun at the time. But you remind me of Thurber's character who died of the chestnut blight.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

I can live with the ban, which prevents commercial-scale distribution. But searching people for a jar or two? How stupid can you be?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"How stupid can you be?"

I LOVE that show!!! And people say reality TV is no good... [Wink]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"In the summer of 1958 I was strip-searched for boll weavels at the Mississippi border. I was biking for cripes' sake. Egads! Next we'll be banning illegal immigrants!"

You velly funny man, M. Dey. reminds me of my face gay pride button:

IF WE GIVE GAYS EQUAL RIGHTS, THEN EVERYONE WILL WANT THEM!

KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
because of its folic acid enrichment
If Australia doesn't immediately halt their 'folic acid enrichment' program, leading to Vegemite, we must take preemptive action.

KE

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

SPAM away!!!
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'folic acid enrichment' program

*snicker*

Actually, the Australians are being searched because of the VNPT (Vegemite Non-Proliferation Treaty) in which all of the other UN Nations signed a treaty to keep Vegemite from.... (wait for it)...

spreading.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Recent reports that Australia has purchased high-density tensile tungsten spatulas are cited as evidence that Australia seeks more than its professed 'peaceful enlightenment through vitamin-B' program but actually intends to make... Deviled SPAM.

Like post-WWII America before 1949, we foolishly believed we held a monopoly on this most powerful of sandwich spreads./ Vegemite was, after all, not real MEAT. But, scientists say, Vegemite, sufficiently concentrated through a controlled chain reaction process known as 'yeast enhancement', could produce deli-grade Deviled SPAM in as little as 3 years.

KnightEnder
unregistered

We should send in Oscar Mayer to inspect. Under the UN auspice of course.

And pull Colin Powell out of retirement to go to the UN with a vile of vegemite.

We all know Austrailans are paranoid. M@W's follow up was that paranoid "Who can it be now?!!!"

(Of course it would be hard for Australia to lauch anything since they are on the bottom of the world and thus gravity would be working against them.)

"spread" great Drake.

KE

The Drake
Member # 2128

The famous picture of Colin Powell describing the Vegemite threat to the UN.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"(Of course it would be hard for Australia to lauch anything since they are on the bottom of the world and thus gravity would be working against them.)"

We should have an ongoing 'medeival physics' thread, eh?

Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...I guess I better hide my three tubes of Vegemite I brought back with me from my last trip to Australia!

Damn...this is ridiculous!

For one thing, because vegemite has such a strong flavor, you don't use much of it when you spread it on your toast. A little bit goes a long way, so the whole concern about too much folic acid is simply ridiculous. Australians typically have a little bit of vegemite on their toast for breakfast...it's not as if people eat vegemite all day long!

BTW - to me, it tastes like beer paste. I love it...but I understand why other people can't stand it. It is a strong, acquired taste.

I just hope the FDA doesn't seize my Vegemite the next time I go down under and try to bring back a few more tubes!!!!

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

My Australian coworker set out a tray of Triscuits and a jar of Vegemite in the company library as a form of protest for one day. A few people even tried some.

Personally I think that someone bringing in a jar or two for their own personal use should be allowed to, while importation for commercial use, sales, distribution, etc., should be stopped so long as the regulation is in place and Vegemite is in violation of it.

Now if they could just reclassify Vegemite as a dietary supplement rather that a food this could all just go away.

[ October 26, 2006, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Dave at Work ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Vegemite is a weapon of gas destruction.
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without wishing to sound like Star Trek’s Mr Chekov I would like to point out the Vegemite is a weaker version of that great British invention Marmite. The original sandwich spread and first produced over one hundred years ago.

Marmite

What's in Marmite

quote:
Yeast Extract - The extract of a fungus often used to ferment sugar to produce alcohol and carbon dioxide. The gas makes bread rise. In pure form, smells awful.

Sodium Chloride - aka salt. Nice on chips. Essential part of human diet. Comes from the sea, or underground deposits (from very old seas).

Vegetable Extract - Well, er... it's vegetables, right, and they take stuff from them...

Niacin - A nicer way of saying Nicotinic acid - which is a poncy way of saying part of the Vitamin B complex (Vitamin B3).

Thiamin - Vitamin B1. Useful for Glycosis - part of respiration. Not that it matters.

Spice2 Extracts - Well, they got these spices, right, and they sort of extracted bits out of them...

Riboflavin - Vitamin B2 - The manufacturers are obviously trying to pretend that their product is not mostly constructed of Vitamin B by using long words.

Folic Acid - Again, it's just another type of Vitamin B.

Vitamin B12 - This ingredient is pretty self-explanatory. They must have run out of fancy Vitamin B words. Needed for producing proteins, red blood cells.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Curtis
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for Tom Curtis   Email Tom Curtis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Athelstane, having tried both I can tell you that Marmite is vile. There is no comparison between Vegemite and Marmite.
Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page