Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Senator Graham & Joe Lieberman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Senator Graham & Joe Lieberman
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just watching Graham speak on FNC on why Lieberman was going to win and he damn near convinced me.

He said: "A loss in Iraq is not a loss for Republicans but a loss for Democracy and will be dangerous for the USA. Joe Lieberman understands this and is putting the interests of the country ahead of the interest of the Democratic Party."

If nothing else; well said. And a damn persuasive argument.

He also mentioned the need for more troops, which I agree with. Get out, or send in enough troops to do the job. They can't kill our soldiers if they are dead.

KE

[ October 25, 2006, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you didn't mean a damn pervasive argument?

What exactly is Joe proposing that is "putting the interests of the country ahead of the interest of the Democratic Party"?

I would also humbly suggest that Senator Graham should have phrased the first part of his statement thusly: "The loss in Iraq is not only a loss for the Republican Party but is also a loss for the USA..."

I'm not sure that "Democracy" as a concept has a dog in this fight, although I can see this as a possible setback for the export of democracy which is an altogether different thing.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if we send in enough troops now it's too late. We'll have to kill huge bunches of Iraqis to subdue the joint, and said killings will make them further hate us.

I aways dug that old Billy Joel song:

"Get it right the first time
That's the main thing
I can't afford to let it pass
Get it right the next time
That's not the same thing
Gonna make the first time last."

He was singing about a girl, but, hey, he too was wanting to sow the seeds of something, eh?

Strategically, Bush's biggest mistake was discarding the Powell doctrine for his own Bush doctrine. If he'd melded the two, he might have ccomplished this Iraqi thing.

What can ye say about folks who can't tell babies from bathwater? ANyway, here's something we can sing:

"A mother was washing her baby one night,
The youngest of ten and a delicate mite.
The mother was poor and the baby was thin,
'Twas naught but an skelingtin covered with skin.

The mother turned 'round for a soap off the rack.
She was only a moment but when she turned back
Her baby had gone, and in anguish she cried,
"Oh, where 'as my baby gone?" The angels replied:

Oh, your baby has gone down the plug 'ole.
Oh, your baby has gone down the plug.
The poor little thing was so skinny and thin,
He should 'ave been washed in a jug, in a jug.

Your baby is perfectly happy;
He won't need a bath anymore.
He's a-muckin' about with the angels above,
Not lost but gone before."

As for Graham and Lieberman, well, at least they know how to stand out from the crowd*, which you gotta do to become a presidential contender, which both fellas want badly.

*crowd was originaly typoed as 'crows'. u decide [Wink]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

A loss in Iraq will either make the world a more dangerous place, or it won't. We don't know which it will be or how long it would take to achieve "victory". But we do know that the war in Iraq has made the world a more dangerous place. I think the better question is whether staying in Iraq will cause the world to continue to be a more dangerous place, or not. At this point, I'm not sure Bush continues to believe in the answers he has given us to these questions.

No matter which question you ask or which way you "vote" on it, you still have to ask what the cost will be in lives, $$ and lost opportunities to support your view, and whether we can afford it. I think the war is unwinnable, so we should look for the "best deal" we can get to resolve it, which is a combination of Baker, Biden and Murtha's main ideas, the highlights of which are:

A) Support an equitable autonomy for the three Iraqi regions
B) Redeploy our troops so they are not concentrated in Iraq and focused so narrowly
C) Directly engage Syria and Iran in diplomatic negotiations to achieve relative stability in the ME.

Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"... a damn pervasive argument", a funny, DD [Big Grin] .

Here's why Lieberman will win, simply enough. The Republican candidate -- in the richest state in the Union, is at 7%. That's why Lieberman will win. All the Republicans in Connecticut will try to shore up a party which has messed its pants -- by voting hawkish Democrat!

I suspect that Lieberman will be to CT what Dukakis was to MA when the latter ran for president.

DS: That's all well and good, i.e., Support an equitable autonomy for the three Iraqi regions, but one of these is left without oil and, thus, without income. If the other two refuse to share oil revenues, and why would they?, then the tripartite system is dead in the oil slick.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post, keemer, but I think the baby song you were thinking of goes more like this:

“Our baby fell out of the window.
You'd think that her head would be split.
But good luck was with her that morning.
She fell in a barrel of...

Shaving cream, be nice and clean!
Shave everyday and you'll always look keen!”

(With a nod to the other DD—-Dr. Demento. [Smile] )

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about album... umm, CD titles?

The 06 elections and our prospects in Iraq?

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness?

or

How can I laugh tomorrow when I can't even smile today?

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberal
Member # 2888

- posted      Profile for Liberal   Email Liberal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Lieberman is going to join the republicans?

Surely even if he wins I doubt the democrats will hold onto him after his hypocrisy of saying before that primary that should Lamont lose it he shouldn't run as an independent and then turning around and doing it himself. He doesn't deserve to be linked to the democratic party or receive any benefits that come with that association, not after he disrespected their choice. If the majority of his votes are from republicans, what does that make his service? Shouldn't he be true to his constituents and join the republican party?

Posts: 228 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
his hypocrisy of saying before that primary that should Lamont lose it he shouldn't run as an independent
Could you source that? I hadn't heard that before - all I heard in the run up was Lieberman saying he'd run as an independent if he lost the primary. I wasn't following closely however, so perhaps I missed something?

And yes, I did the quick Google search - didn't see anything (which doesn't mean it ain't there).

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
Support an equitable autonomy for the three Iraqi regions, but one of these is left without oil and, thus, without income. If the other two refuse to share oil revenues, and why would they?
Two out of three ain't bad, but I think it can be better if the US works with the Baghdad core to build it up as a commerce center once it becomes less violent. It once was a secular business capital. I realize that oil flows everywhere but there, but it's not a guarantee that the other regions will become the financial dynamos that the various sultanates, etc., have become. It doesn't matter how unlikely my scenario might be, though, since the current scenario is so bad that "unlikely" looks pretty good right about now.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong (OLD album title)
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page