Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » inevitable election blather

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: inevitable election blather
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I been phone-polling in Rhode Island the past few days)

Oh man... people in Rhode Island HATE Bush/Reps. Even Republicans. They have this Republican senator, Lincoln Chafee, who is extremely clean, who voted AGAINST the Iraq war, cast the deciding vote for a clean air act, voted against the rich folk tac cuts... everybody there, Rep or Dem, loves the bastard. BUT... they're all gonna vote him out simply because they've had enough of the Republican goose-step.I've heard this from REPUBLICANS: they're gonna vote out their own man, a man they all say is a credit to Congress, an example for then all, et cetera, so they can vote OUT the reigning Republican House and Senate. It's friggin' AMAZING.

When pollster pundits have recently said they've 'never seen anything like it' in reference to what they call a 'perfect storm' ov voter sentiment against a dominant incumbency, I took it for hyperbole and, well, stoopheadedness.

But now I reckon they're right?

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew the Republicans were in trouble when G. Gordon Liddy started bemoaning the Mark Foley scandal because it would distract the pundits from the real reason the Republicans will lose in the next election: because they have betrayed their Conservative base.

If even G. Gordon believes the Republican loss is inevitable, there must be something to it! [Eek!]

But, still, we shall see. As the great philosopher Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over 'till it's over."

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting...

Watching CNN yesterday - they keep it on in the gym, so I was forced to...

They were talking about the ongoing flap over the Michael J. Fox ad supporting stem cell research and therefore the Dems, and Rush Limbaugh's hammering him for "playing up" his Parkinson’s tremors...

It pissed me off in general because here was a major mid-day story on CNN that they spent several minutes talking about and invited viewers to email comments.

Pissed me off because... lets see, by my count stem cell research is about 20th down on my list of what's important in this upcoming election, yet here it is a major story, major headline. [Mad]

What the F***?
Is abortion so worn out that they are trying to ride a new one-trick pony?

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be more convinced if the poll came from Ohio--or South Dakota. We already know the coastal dwellers don't have deep love for Babar--I'll be convinced once I hear hee-haws in the heartland.
Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that is really going to fix this country is a better electorate. Sure, if the democrats take over, things will probably move in the right direction again for a while, but eventually I'm sure we'll be back to more of the same.

We need an electorate that understands the issues enough to force the government to create more helpful/effective policies and laws instead of just pandering to special interest groups, big campaign donors, and manipulative advisors.

Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a bunch of republicans get voted out, that will be a nice first step, but once its done people will totally forget all this mess and let the government go right back to it's old familiar ways.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, LF, except for the word 'totally'. I know has become more a modifier meaning roughly the same as 'very much' but still, I don' think we'll ALL forget. There will be *some* adjustment. Not as much as we'd like, I'm sure, but beytter than nothing.

"I'd be more convinced if the poll came from Ohio--or South Dakota. We already know the coastal dwellers don't have deep love for Babar--I'll be convinced once I hear hee-haws in the heartland."

It's not the geo-demographic range that impressed me here. RI is, after all, the smallest stae by far. It's the uniqueness of a favored and independnet Republican native son being ousted even by his own, even as they acknowledge him as a legislative treasure, simply because he is part of what they perceive as a damaging Republican monopoly.

"Pissed me off because... lets see, by my count stem cell research is about 20th down on my list of what's important in this upcoming election, yet here it is a major story, major headline."

Works like this, I think: CNN is NOT rooting for Bush, eh? There's one helluva hot election cycle almost in full flame. The main issue is the Iraq war and it hammers the Republicans just fine on its lonesome without Dem/lib help: it just bleeds and oozes fine by itself like a brand-new oil well with a high-pressure reservoir. So rather than harp on what is already established and therefor e sound like whiny Dems with no vision but that os bashing Bush, take the many *other* issues that also discount Republican support and hammer them.

Prom, when I polled Ohio, the Babar nays out-weighed the Babar yeas, although not enormously.

Haven't polled the South yet. Company I work for has an office in Florida, so I reckon they handle all the heavily-dipthonged survey work.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

You can fool some of the people alla time, alla people somea time, but not alla alla:

Poll: Middle-Class Voters bandoning GOP

"Less than two weeks before the Nov. 7 election, the latest Associated Press-AOL News poll found that likely voters overwhelmingly prefer Democrats over Republicans. They are angry at President Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress, and say
Iraq and the economy are their top issues.

At the same time, fickle middle-class voters are embracing the Democratic Party and fleeing the GOP — just as they abandoned Democrats a dozen years ago and ushered in an era of Republican control.

"I don't think the Republican Party represents what I stand for. The guys I golf with, we're in the middle class, we're getting hurt," says Joseph Altland, 73, a retired teacher in York, Pa. He is a registered Republican but says he is considering becoming an independent."

THat's what I'm hearing in my polls. It's moderate in some areas, and overwhelming in others, but it's across the board from NASCAR dads to Ivy Leaugue professionals to West Coast moderates. (I've hardly touched the midwest heartland yet.)

Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] If only they realized there's more than two choices. I like that people are actually coming out of their comas, but not that we're about to vote for more of the same...

Fingers crossed the electorate doesn't go back to sleep. Perhaps in 2 more years we can really look to a new alternative - as in, we threw the bums out, but the new bums haven't done what we wanted, so we’re throwing them out, too.

Depends on who programmed the e-voting booths, I suppose.

Humph… if the results are quite different from what a vast majority of folks are saying, would that cause a civil revolt and demand for a new election with paper ballots?

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Times like these, folks hold to the 2-party choice. They want someone 'electable'.

I'd say the 2010 election will be a time of gai for 3rd party alternatives.

LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

Two parties is not necessarily a problem if the electorate is active and informed about the issues and they force the candidates to do what they *should* be doing.

Granted it might be hard to decide what they should be doing, but there are certainly things that the electorate should be able to agree that elected officials should NOT be doing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page