Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » "Objectivity" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Objectivity"
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there such a thing in reality? Does anyone use this word in any other way than as a sophist in regular conversation?

I think I am done with the concept or ideal of objectivity, especially since Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem is making me crazy (like a fox!).

Anyway, I submit that "objectivity" is a tenent of a intellectually dishonest school of thought.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, objectivity exists. Its what an independent observer "Sees." Any independent observer with access to this medium and the ability to see in the "visible" spectrum will be able to read this post, regardless of any opinions they may have.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is there such a thing in reality?
Yes. It exists because I say it exists.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, objectivity exists. Its what an independent observer "Sees."
When it comes to politics, do independent observers exist?
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When it comes to politics, do independent observers exist?
I suppose that would depend on what the definition of independant is.

So long as a reasonable definition for independant is allowed as opposed to imposing a contrived definion for it, Everard is absolutely correct. What an independant observer see's, hears, feels, and so forth is an objective fact. I would add that it is when we start applying our own filters to these facts to make them fit our own particular worldview, whatever it might be, that objectivity exits the field.

[ October 26, 2006, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Dave at Work ]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider the meteorologist Lewis Richardson's famous question: how long is the coastline of Britain?

quote:
The answer is that there is no answer—it depends. Are you measuring in miles, meters, or microns? The result will differ in each instance, and not just as a consequence of converting from one unit of measurement to another. For the further down you go in the scale of measurement, the more irregularities of coastline you'll pick up, so that the length will expand or contract in relation to the manner in which you're measuring it. . . .

At the same time, though . . . we'd be most unwise to conclude from this, as a postmodernist might, that Britain is not actually there.

I am not advocating nihilism or that terms mean nothing, rather that truth (as we see it) is self referencing; which is a tenant that objectivity denies.

[ October 26, 2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Yes, but the answer to his question is still objective.

"Measure to the nearest meter."

Kent
Member # 832

Ev, I've got to split so I won't get back for a while, but I believe you are defining objectivity as Webster meaning a subject (who sees) and an object (which is seen).

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Objectivity \Ob`jec*tiv"i*ty\, n. [Cf.F. objectivit['e].]
The state, quality, or relation of being objective; character of the object or of the objective.

But what you may have omitted is that there is no object to be seen without the subject (and the subjective experience of the subject). Anyone wish to redefine terms? The definitions I see below are impossible to assert with logic.

Source: WordNet (r) 1.7

objectivity
n : judgment based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices [syn: objectiveness]

From the FreeDictionary.com:

ob·jec·tiv·i·ty (bjk-tv-t)
n.
1. The state or quality of being objective.
2. External or material reality.

[ October 26, 2006, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Everard
unregistered

"But what you may have omitted is that there is no object to be seen without the subject"

Doesn't matter. If one observer sees an effect, another observer can see a sufficiently similiar effect (to the order of hbar). If no observer sees the effect, then we're not questioning whether the reality is the same between observers.

Objectivity is a way of comparing what observers see. If there are NO observers, you can't get to the level of comparison.

" judgment based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices [syn: objectiveness]"

Possibly impossible, but also a useful goal... just as justice is perhaps impossible to attain, but useful to strive for.

LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that there are very few things which are absolutes. I know these sort of arguments always are a major point of contention whenever I get into a debate about untestable claims.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that objectivity may be best described as a concept whose meaning derives from a tension with the concept of subjectivity.

Dogmatic assertions that reality is subjective or objective are (in my opinion) not as correct as assertions that acknowledge the fundamental interplay of both ideas.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, objectivity definately does not exist.

Perception itself is a relationship with an object. It occurs from a relative point of view, both physically and mentally. Speaking physically, we see things only from a certain direction; we are above the object, below it, beside it, etc. We see its side, then we move a little and see its front, and so on. Our experience of it as a real and multi-dimensional object is a construction that depends on the memory of multiple points of view. Its an active process of construction, something the mind needs to DO. Without a mind to perform such a construction, there is not meaningful sense in which the object can be said to exist.

Anyone who has watched the Matrix understands the principle that reality can be reduced to a "series of electrical impulses interpreted by your brain". "Existance" is simply a convention we use to describe various bits of evidence about an object. We look at something, we touch it, we sniff it, and we connect these seperate perceptions with the idea that some solid object exists. Does it really? Could we have been fooled? The fact is that we can never know, because ALL we will ever have is our perceptions. Any reality BEYOND them is pure, unprovable conjecture.

Objectivity presumes passive observation. Reality is the product of an active faculty of mind. Its 100% subjective.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

You are now my favorite Adam.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"a) But what you may have omitted is that there is no object to be seen without the subject"

b) Doesn't matter. If one observer sees an effect, another observer can see a sufficiently similiar effect (to the order of hbar). If no observer sees the effect, then we're not questioning whether the reality is the same between observers."

Two subjects does not an object make.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the object of my own subjectivity.

Seekingprometheus is *still* my favorite.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You are now my favorite Adam.
Yes! *clenches fist ala Napolean Dynamite* [Big Grin]

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

I think one of the things that has bothered me in the past when people said that there was no objectivity (and maybe this was what bothers you Everard), is the idea that it means nothing is verifiable or universal. I do not believe that dismissing objectivity as a tenant is the same as dismissing the idea that things are no longer verifiable; rather the idea is that verification and shared experiences (distinctly subjective) is "self referencing" and holds no Platonic ideal or other "TRUTH" outside of the subjective experience of the subjects.

If there is an objective truth or experience, we will forever be unable to know it as long as we are not "one" with the object sharing a collective mind of sorts. But even the Borg becomes a subject in that case as there is always external data independent of the collective mind to which it responds.

The only hope for objectivity I have found is in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I was a teenager at the time and I can't remember what the answer is to how we experience and define "quality". Anyone know what I am referring to?

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Objects verified are ever subject to reverification.
Kent
Member # 832

Let me phrase it another way Everard. Groups of individual subjects do find principles they can agree on, providing what some call intersubjectivity. Hence the coastline of Britain does have meaning, as does the unit of measurement. The difference is that there is no external "measuring stick" apart from the subjects.
Everard
unregistered

Sure there is. Light travels a certain distance in a certain unit of time, and time is consistent regardless of who is holding the stopwatch. Mark off a segment of time on that stopwatch, and light will travel a certain distance within that period of time. Call that distance a "meter." You've now objectively defined what a meter is. That definition can be universely understood. Once you have that definition, you can say "Measure the length of this strip of territory marked out by a fence that I will build using only compound of such and such an atomic structure, to the nearest meter."

Even better, you don't have to be in the same frame of reference for this to work.

reality is largely defined by our definitions of reality. Those definitions can be communicated regardless of refernce frame, and make sense regardless of reference frame, because they are measureable from any reference frame and independent of the observer.

it IS possible to build language from the ground up with someone not using your language and not in your reference frame. But you can backtrack to common physical principles... beause they ARE common.

(Down to hbar scales, of course).

If you are saying we make our own measuring sticks, that is true. It doesn't mean that the physical realities represented by those measuring sticks are nonsense. There IS light, and it doesn't need an observer to exist. It needs to be detected by a detector, where detector is sub-atomic scale particles. Once you've got light, you have distance and time. Once you have distance and time, you have acceleration. Once you have acceleration, you have inertia and forces. Once you have inertia and forces, you have gravity and once you have gravity you have relativistic effects.

[ October 27, 2006, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Everard ]

Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

Thats a very important distinction to make, Kent. Many people commit the same falacy with regard to morality. They see moral relativism as being a synonym for no reality, whereas all it really means is that morally isn't determined externally. Of course, theists DO believe that morality is determined externally, but that is also a logical fallacy (though an open point for debate).

Adam

Everard
unregistered

"They see moral relativism as being a synonym for no reality, whereas all it really means is that morally isn't determined externally."

Well, no, there's a bit more to moral relativism then that.

Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

quote:
time is consistent regardless of who is holding the stopwatch.
No it isn't. Its RELATIVE, depending on the acceleration of the subject. Length, as in the measurement in question, is also relative to acceleration. Your example gives the appearance of objectivity, because we all tend to be in the same frame of reference, but Einstein shattered the myth of absolute time ( see here )

Adam

Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

quote:
Well, no, there's a bit more to moral relativism then that.
True, that was poorly worded. What I meant was, moral relativism needn't imply anything beyond the fact that morality isn't determined externally. The absense of morality entirely isn't a necessary consequence of moral relativism.

Adam

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Masterman:
Of course, theists DO believe that morality is determined externally, but that is also a logical fallacy (though an open point for debate).

What do you mean here by "logical fallacy?" That it's logically inconsistent with something else that theists believe?

If that's not what you mean, I can't see how that statement means anything but "I don't agree."

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

"No it isn't. Its RELATIVE, depending on the acceleration of the subject. Length, as in the measurement in question, is also relative to acceleration. Your example gives the appearance of objectivity, because we all tend to be in the same frame of reference, but Einstein shattered the myth of absolute time ( see here )"

Yes he did, but its also possible to work backwards to an inertial reference frame from an accelerated reference frame, because in a non-inertial refernece frame you can detect your own acceleration.

Where things can get screwed up is inertial reference frames moving at different fractions of the speed of light. Even then, the lorentz scalar distance between two events is the same in all inertial reference frames.

[ October 28, 2006, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: Everard ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

No alpha, no omega.
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no sega
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

no sofa
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the word "intersubjectivity" the other day and had no idea what it might mean. I think I might have an idea now. It's something like "consensus subjectivity" right?

Anyway, Everard you haven't addressed a major point Adam made - that everything you know about anything, including any objective reality you care to assert, is known through your own acts of conscious perception, and that you can't ever know for sure that your senses haven't fooled you (I hope that I didn't paraphrase that too inaccurately). I think this is true. I don't think it needs to prevent us from ACTING like there's an objective reality. Whatever seems most objectively (intersubjectively?) true to us is the reality we work with.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

"Anyway, Everard you haven't addressed a major point Adam made - that everything you know about anything, including any objective reality you care to assert, is known through your own acts of conscious perception, and that you can't ever know for sure that your senses haven't fooled you (I hope that I didn't paraphrase that too inaccurately). "

100% irrelevant to whether or not there IS an objective reality.

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, maybe...but not to whether anyone can "prove" there is an objective reality. Which to me amounts to the same thing.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Well, you can't prove that reality isn't objective, either, by the same standard, because you can't prove that people are hallucinating when everyone reports the same data.
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned pure mathematics. It is a 100% objective fact that 1+1=2. You might not know if those two things exist, but if they do, there are two of them.

Likewise, the relationship of the diameter of a circle to its circumference.

Now, as Descartes pointed out, we can also assume that there is at least one self-aware intelligence - me (or you, as you read this).

I would expand on that by saying that there is at least one other self-aware intelligence, since otherwise you could never learn anything that you did not already know (like new vocabulary words).

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

quote:
"Anyway, Everard you haven't addressed a major point Adam made - that everything you know about anything, including any objective reality you care to assert, is known through your own acts of conscious perception, and that you can't ever know for sure that your senses haven't fooled you (I hope that I didn't paraphrase that too inaccurately). "
100% irrelevant to whether or not there IS an objective reality.

Yes, but the objective reality you are positing is completely irrelevant to anything. It doesn't matter if our senses have been fooled or not: reality arises in dependance on them. The reality we experience is an interaction between our minds and the appearances of the outside world. How can something that depends on our own mind to exist be objective? The question of whether an objective reality exists beyond or outside of our perception is completely moot: it is not the reality we experience, nor will it ever be. Our reality is conditional, and our minds are one of the conditions.

Adam

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, therefore all is.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

we don't need your so-lip service, can.

get a job [Wink]

Kent
Member # 832

I honestly don't know how to better communicate this point. I am wondering if the reason some of you do not understand what others of us are asserting is due to a rushed reading or perhaps the logical underpinnings aren't clear. I sincerely don't know how to proceed with the idea that objectivity is a myth when you keep speaking about objectivity as intersubjectivity (the definitions are confused I think).

The Drake, math is self referencing; it is a language that only makes sense once one speaks it. It cannot escape the constructs of language. Please see the thread on Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem for more detail on how the construct of any rules of math is insufficient to describe all mathmatical truths.

Let's play "historian". Does anyone believe there is anything objective about history? Even in the present, as I am sitting at this computer typing, it is impossible for an individual sitting next to me to share the experience in exactly the same way.

You can assert that objectivity may exist, but it is inaccessible to human experience as human experience is by definition a subjective one. Usually (in my subjective experience) when smart people are asking someone to be objective it is generally used as a stick to beat others with when logic fails.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Usually (in my subjective experience) when smart people are asking someone to be objective it is generally used as a stick to beat others with when logic fails."

Part of the magic of being subjective consciousnesses is that we can *imagine* objectivity.

A nice, if loose, emotional metaphor for/example of this ability is empathy or, to be more correct, compassion.

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even a deaf mute could understand the concept of 1+1=2. I don't see how it is tied to language.

Also, multiple people, perceiving those oranges on the table, will see two oranges. They will agree on that objective fact, even though it was derived from their subjective senses.

When someone at the table tells someone to "be objective" they are saying that she should change her perspective to see what they see. She might be aligned directly on the axis between the two oranges, and only see one. Or they might have their eyes closed, or be facing the wrong way.

Now, there might be several people facing away, and only one person staring at the oranges. Those people might tell the one to "be objective".

Or everyone might be facing away from the table, and claim that there are no oranges without dissention. That's what I now understand to be "intersubjectivity", but the oranges are still there waiting to be discovered by the person who turns around, or for a new one to enter the room.

When oranges become events in history, it becomes much harder to determine who lacks objectivity, but there are still exactly two oranges.

Of course, history becomes much more than fact, in the way you describe it in your recent post. You are often talking about how a person reacted emotionally to the event. Or what someone guesses were the results of that event.

I don't know if that's any closer to what you are getting at.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page