Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Democratic solution to the mod problem... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Democratic solution to the mod problem...
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and they usually let your "blue streaks" alone as long as they aren't directed at other posters.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't had any problems with the Mod myself, at least I've never been e-mailed or directly addressed by the OrneryMod on any issue. Personally, I think that the way things have gone overall was fine, though I still wonder who the Ornery 8 were, I think I missed that...

As for Javelin's OrneryMod denial, if Javelin is the/an OM, I'd say he is justified in saying no, as he was posting under Javelin, and not the OM handle. And if Javelin isn't a OM then it isn't a lie anyway. While it may be somewhat of a legal fiction in the first case, the reasons for having such an arrangement make sense to me. If a business can be a person for legal purposes, then why not the OM, likewise? You don't ask the employees of a given business if they are that business, but people refer to businesses as if they were people all the time, without holding some random employee responsible for everything the business does. Even if he happens to be the CEO or a member of the board.

But just to mix things up and have fun, I'm putting out a statement that I (the person behind the Ben handle) am the/an OrneryMod. Now you have to wonder, am I teasing you, or am I serious? Do I ban myself for lying or telling the truth? Do you speculate on my motiviations and risk getting banned? Though that would explain why I don't post frequently and that I haven't e-mailed myself... Who's gonna know? Only OSC, OM(s) and/or me.

Heck, let's all of us do this "I'm Spartacus" thing and forget it. Move on and get over it. I hope the rest of you continue to participate though. Nice mix of ideas and discussion here if we keep attacks on each other out of it. Now back to sporadic posting and lurking. Or is it moderating? Heheh....

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think an interview of jav on Ornews Tonight ('More News on Your Views at Ornews') with Kenmeer Livermaile, your man in the fan, recycling the spin to sieve the grit from the ****, would be as near an to an apogee of absurdity as we might get.

Ig otta go to work now but I recomment we open a thread in which anyone BUT myself or jav portray me interrogating jav regarding this notorious 'leak' regarding jav's alleged 'secret identity'.

For all the talk that this is OSC's 'other' living room in which we convene and convivilaize, I've yet to see any real parlor games since thread title poetry or my conundrum pundom threads.

IMagine a long long room, so long and narrow it is more of a hall.

A long long table fills it length. At one end, a man in a mask. AT the other end, a glittering phantom whose face continually shifts from one Ornery impersonator to another.

Above the table on both sides, various journalkistic visages running the gamut from Morrow to Cronkhite to M. Moore and B. O'Reilly, with the Rathers and COurics and Hannitys and Brokaws et all, talking headily away in gold-leaf framed tv monitors all with the volume mercifully muted but, for the hearing impaired, transcipts of their blather scrolling underneath to be 'quoted' as needed.

Someone out there might even photoshop a quick Ornews logo to kick things off or at least provide segue for the inevitable commercial breaks from Vegemite and paid politicval ads from the Peanut Party et al...

[ October 27, 2006, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I forgot can's LineRide but that wasn't really a group game.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Ben, at least 7 people know who the new mods are. They do. Both of the Cards do. The webmaster does. I do. My wife does.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M^2

You saying none of these identities overlap with each other? Or did you mean to say identities instead of people? Since I haven't met any of you IRL, in a whimsical mood, I can imagine a scenario where m^2 & wife are OSC and wife and OM's and the webmaster which would mean there could be two individuals total in reality, albeit two quite busy individuals expressing multiple personalities. On the internet, no one knows you're a dog! But what the hey, I'll go with it. Only 7 people know for sure that I'm fooling around with my "I'm Spartacus" claim [Smile] Now I'm off to suspend myself for speculation on you, your wife, OSC, his wife, the OM's and the webmaster with apologies for my weird sense of humor (I'm laughing at myself here)...

Actually if you guys ever swing by southern Utah, let me know and visit me, so I can meet you guys. Where'd that alternative OrneryCon thread go to?

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Actually Ben, at least 7 people know who the new mods are. They do. Both of the Cards do. The webmaster does. I do. My wife does."

I know at least one of them. Javelin posted the exact same post, twice. Once under his handle, and once under the OM handle.

He also apparently did this with LOJ too, so that makes 9 people who know who at least one of the mods is.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Everard:
Javelin posted the exact same post, twice. Once under his handle, and once under the OM handle.

I'd say that is much more of a smoking gun than anything I read before. I believe Ev, so I am convinced now.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Convinced that javelin is one of the mods that is. As for the actions he took as moderator, I don't think they were *that* terrible, but I can certainly see why Everard was/is upset.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the living room analogy..

If you're in my home -and we're all debating- and what you're saying is not only insanely, agitatingly, and squabblingly off topic, but f*cking up the vibe...I'll ask you to stay away for a while...let things cool down. If we go outside for a smoke and you tell me that you're really going to let the sh!t hit the fan when we go back in, I'll tell you to get the hell off my property and come back when you're sober.

And if I had someone to maintain some order and comfort in my home for me, I'd expect them to do the same thing (even though I'd have an open door policy, I retain the right to throw people out when I feel like it. I'm hospitable, but not a f*cking carpet).

Anyone who says it's not fair can either grow a set of balls and man up...take some repsonsibility for themselves like a goddam grown-up, or they can host these little discussion groups in their own home and pay their own rent on the joint.

My house is not a democracy.

But it's a great place to visit!

ps. you don't need to know who keeps the peace for me in my house. Don't like it? Then leave. Go, and quit trying to make it your house. By all means, make yourself at home, but don't forget who pays the bills every month.

[ October 28, 2006, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Aye. That gun would be smoking. Where, by the way, is this gun to be found?

So we have, apparently, 'smoked out' the identty of one of the Mods. A god has become human and walked this mortal earth.

Last time this happened, the result was a crucifixion. As I recall, the trial for that crucifixion was really petty. And it only occurred because the accused allowed himself to be betrayed by someone he'd kown for years.

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Let he who is without an asshole fling the first turd."
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

Hopefully this time the resolution will be more speedy and amicable for all parties.
canadian
Member # 1809

"Go and derail no more..."
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"You. Yeah, you. With the purple yarmulke. Yeah. Come here. Quit razzing me. Go start your own religion whydon'tcha."
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Let he who is without an asshole fling the first turd."

Hey, you trying to write a parable or a paradox, eh?

canadian
Member # 1809

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
"You. Yeah, you. With the purple yarmulke. Yeah. Come here. Quit razzing me. Go start your own religion whydon'tcha."

"Our Designer who art Faaaaabulous!"
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Groovy be Thy Name...
canadian
Member # 1809

I am that I am.

And Yam's the new Eggplant!

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Whoa... a little omniscient omnipotence really goes to Thine head.
canadian
Member # 1809

We seem to be going around in curvilinear curvatures...

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Rote Drip!

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

What was I thinking?

Are you thinking it?

Memory drool?

Beer?

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Gone unto sleepiness. Last one lit turn off the out...
canadian
Member # 1809

And that, my friend, is a Dramatic Solution to the Modern Problem.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Dramatic Solution to the Modern Problem"

It has a certain cachet of raw meaninglessness, yes? Rather like Foucault writing advertizing copy for Wal-Mart.

canadian
Member # 1809

phew...if you had mentioned Baudrillard...

I think we dodged a bullet.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

The Purloined Irony
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys are good at this
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Why thankew, suh.

[ October 30, 2006, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong scifi, they're TOO good at this... [Razz]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blessed
Member # 2518

- posted      Profile for Blessed   Email Blessed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and Gentlemen and our brothers from mars at the back,I present to you the Kenemer and Canadian Show

<rapturous applause> [Big Grin]

[ October 30, 2006, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Blessed ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

This reminds me of Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin early days. Why? External ego inflation. Reminds me of whe I had my vasectomy.

8AM sharp. (ow!) On my back on the operating table sans pants. Nurse is busy shaving while doc is inspecting this and that surgical instrument. She liberally pours betadine or such over the region, casually grabs, with practiced authority, Jonathan Jumpup, and moves him this and that way ahead of her razor. Rather a NASCAR finesse, like she was shifting gears.

Betadine ain't K-Y Jelly but it does slicken things. Jonathan grew excited. She paid no attention while she told the doctor how her husband's Sunday morning hangover had humorously affected his relationship with his usual Sunday ride on their horse. (Country gal. Raw-boned. Not pretty not ugly. Kinda rawhide handsome with freckles.)

I was not present in their minds. I was only a set of nuts to be pulled aside while a central tube was snipped and sewn shut. So I silently dialogued with myself. Head to head.

"Dean!," said the lower head in the voice of Jerry Lewis. "Dean! I think she LIKES me!!!"

"Whoa now, little buddy," replied the upper, suave, cerebral portion in the voice of Dean Martin. "Hold your horses there, podner."

"Hold 'em!?! Waddya thinks she's doing? And she's whipping me like a riding crop on a horse she wants to ride hard and fast! Yippee!!!"

"Hey-hey-hey, Jerome! That's just her job, pal. She's PAID to do it!"

"OK. I got insurance. Hoo-EEEE!"

And so on. A sudden tug within my scrotum, one that got past the local anethesia, and nurse and doc remembered I was there. "Did I pull a little too hard there?," said the doc, unfortunately named Silverstein, a name sufficiently rabbinical to put my foreskin on edge.

"Uh, not you, doc. Her."

She didn' even wink. Jerry calmed down, disappointed but relieved.

Two weeks later I returned for my follow-up. Make sure the operation worked. They asked if I wanted a Playboy and sent me into the bathroom to finish what nursie'd started fortnight ago.

This time she did me right, if only in my mind.

Yo, can: they think we're funny, I think. Waddawedonow?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page