Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Heroes (the TV show) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Heroes (the TV show)
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else here been watching this show? I seriously feel like I'm geeking out on it. I giggle like a little girl during Hiro Yakamoto's scenes. Apparently it was the #2 most downloaded TV show on isohunt.com when I checked. Anyway, I love it and am getting giddy just thinking about it. I feel like I did when I saw Firefly and the first season of Alias(although Heroes is not quite there for me yet).

Truly a fun show with great actors. I love the cheerleader (you will remember her as the blond asst. coach's daughter in Remember the Titans).

[ October 27, 2006, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I have to give credit where credit is due. OSC's Uncle Orson Reviews Everything column alerted me to the show so I downloaded the first episodes.

quote:
There's a new series this fall that my oldest son made me watch. Ever since I was a year late discovering Firefly, I have learned to take his recommendations very seriously. And with Heroes on NBC, something really exciting is going on. The concept is that the human species is on the verge of beginning the next phase of evolution. New abilities that may enable us to survive the coming disasters are just beginning to emerge -- in the nick of time. One obsessive Indian immigrant in New York has mapped where he thinks each outbreak of superpowers is going to occur -- and someone murdered him for his trouble. But his son is determined to continue his father's work.

Meanwhile, other people -- some in their teens, some adult -- are having to deal with strange powers that don't exactly make their lives easier. Hiro is a Japanese cubicle-worker who finds that he has the power to alter the space-time continuum -- in short, he can project himself anywhere in space and time. The trouble is, he isn't very good at aiming his little trips, and when he gets to New York, without passport or the ability to speak English, he ends up at a murder scene without a credible alibi. Since the actor playing Hiro, Masi Oka, may be the most infectiously enthusiastic human ever to appear on television, he alone would be reason to watch this show.

But he's not alone. There is a pair of brothers, one of whom is running for Congress, who discover that they can, under certain circumstances, fly. And then there's the suicidal high school girl who can't kill herself because she is invulnerable -- broken body parts just pop back into place painlessly. This is not as convenient as you might think -- especially since we've seen her father involved in the pursuit of that Indian fellow, so we are worried he might be one of the Bad Guys.

Then there's the artist who paints the future -- we've seen a flash forward to his death, and we don't want it to happen. And the woman whose "job" was to strip for a webcam, only she made the mistake of borrowing from a loan shark. When he came to collect -- violently -- her misbehaving reflection in the mirror apparently took care of the problem for her. Too bad that it involved some dead bodies that she was left to dispose of.

And in the second episode, we were introduced to a policeman who hears voices. Specifically, the "voice" of a little girl whose parents had just been murdered. Hearing her, he is able to locate and rescue her. The trouble is, nobody else heard her because it wasn't her voice, it was her thoughts that he heard. He ends up getting arrested because he knew way, way too much and can't account for how he knew it.

If this all sounds unbelievable -- well, welcome to Comicbookland. You know the high concept that was pitched to the networks: "It's Lost meets Smallville -- lots of attractive young people with super powers, but we also get their backstories and they have to work out a way to survive in a hostile world and prevent the nuclear destruction of New York." Wouldn't you buy that series?

Neither would I. But the writers, headed by Tim Kring of Crossing Jordan fame, are doing an excellent job of making everybody at least mostly plausible. As with Lost, they have to start giving us answers. And they also need to lose the annoying narrator, who tells us things that we already know -- apparently because the network executives needed the explanations. OK, you've satisfied the suits -- now stop insulting our intelligence with the voiceovers.

My wife was turned off by the gore in the second episode, but now she is on board because it gets a little less violent and the characters are so much fun.

[ October 27, 2006, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I was concerned for the first few episodes, but I'm really getting into it now. Hope they keep up the good work of the last two episodes!
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I managed to catch the last 30 minutes of the pilot episode, but haven't been able to catch anything else so far. I liked what I saw, but it looks like I will have to watch the first season from the DVD player. Hopefully that will be long enough before season two starts so that I can watch it first.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My oldest and I are hooked. Everytime the "to be continued...." line comes up at the end of an episode he yells and curses(not really) about how we should not have to wait for a week to find out what happens.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching it and think it is pretty good entertainment. I rarely like shows on T.V., so finding one that is entertaining and has a few laughs too is nice.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

In the end of the 4th episode when Hiro comes back from the future with a samarai sword on his back and speaking perfect English I was FREAKING OUT! To see who the geek becomes (all serious and looking like a ninja) in the future and to comprehend the epic battles that will be fought in the future to change Hiro so much turned me into a 13 year old boy again. Hiro is my Heroe.

[ October 27, 2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only minor quibble is how they are handling Claire's dad. Claire is the cheerleader and they have been trying to make her Dad look like he is a bad guy.

However, so far we have not seen him do anything evil. I think this is misdirection and that he turns out to be on the good side.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**** SPOILER ALERT *******

You don't think kidnapping people and erasing their memories is evil? How about completely erasing someone's mind?

I concede it's POSSIBLE the guy is an angel, but I'd be surprised. I'd also be surprised if he ISN'T connected to the people who killed the guy's dad, and tried to kill him

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

I think he might be ruthless but I do not think he is involved with helping the bad guy, whose name I forget at the moment, Siler I think. He is doing what he thinks needs to be done to accomplish a greater good. All of this IMHO, of course.

msquared

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep forgetting that it's on... what time is it on, anyway? And what day?
Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Monday night at 9PM Eastern time.

msquared

javelin
Member # 1284

******* SPOILER ALERT **************

quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
I think he might be ruthless but I do not think he is involved with helping the bad guy, whose name I forget at the moment, Siler I think. He is doing what he thinks needs to be done to accomplish a greater good. All of this IMHO, of course.

msquared

Psiler or whatever is a serial killer. But the person that killed whats-his-name wasn't psiler, as far as I can tell. And the person that tried to kill whats-his-name himself was not psiler, as far as we know - he was pretending to be a service tech, and referred to employers or something, and referred to the father's death (so he's likely associated with the group that killed his father).

That's what I'm thinking/understanding, anyway.

msquared
Member # 113

The tech that the Indian guy found in his appartment was not there to kill him, he was there to plant bugs. I think he would have left if not confronted. I think the group he represents, who includes Claires dad, wants to know what the son knows.

I am not sure that Siler did not kill the father/professor. Siler is a serial killer but I think he is killing people who have powers.

msquared

javelin
Member # 1284

******* SPOILER ALERT **************

quote:
I think he would have left if not confronted.
I agree - though he did try to kill him when confronted. Thus, I think people are are part of Claire's father's group are likely evil, or have an agenda I'd consider questionable at best.

quote:
I am not sure that Siler did not kill the father/professor.
I'm not positive either - but I that's the impression I have.

quote:
Siler is a serial killer but I think he is killing people who have powers.
Me too.

[ October 27, 2006, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the last episode online.

Everything I've seen on the website spells it Sylar.

Also, Mr. Bennet's glasses bother me.

Uuuugh I need to start watching this on a regular basis.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cesare.Borgia
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for Cesare.Borgia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the younger brother's power is to be able to use the power of whomever is near him? Kind of like the old x-man Mimic?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

Yeah, something like that. I bet all the characters will have their comic book equivalents somewhere, unless their powers are like the ones from the movie "Mystery Men" (eg. invisibility only when nobody is looking, flatulence on command, spiritually possessed bowling ball, and other 'skills').
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that the cheerleader's dad is trying to hunt down a particular mutant (possibly Sylar). He's using that one guy to sweep their mind to find out if they ARE that mutant or if they know anything about him. He then removes any memory of meeting them.

As for the boyfriend...the full mindsweep probably wasn't something he often does (or ever?). It was mostly just rage from what the boy did to his daughter.

Anyway, that's my current theory. Next Monday I'll probably change my mind. [Smile]

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Pace
Member # 1493

- posted      Profile for D Pace   Email D Pace       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I don't know what just happened there at the end i.e. what's going on with that family. Lots of supergenes on mom and dad, apparently? Is mom done, the evil one? And have we seen any powers from the kid?
Posts: 376 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

No obvious powers from the kid other then he seems to be very intelligent and sees into how things really are.

I am wondering if Nikki's story was just an elaborate lead in to the dad's story.

Any here think that Claire's bio parents were not really her parents but people brought in by the dad to play a role?

msquared

Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
msquared, that scene when they were outside, walking away with Claire's dad, and turned to him and asked if it went OK, and volunteered to help with anything else he needed, seemed to indicate pretty strongly that they were just hired to play a part, and were not really the bio parents.

[ October 31, 2006, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Pace
Member # 1493

- posted      Profile for D Pace   Email D Pace       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M^2-

Yes, that's what appeared to me, that Niki had just been an elaborate setup to introduce her husband; just that she's such an interesting character, I've really been drawn to the series in large part to figure out what's going on with her. Just that her underside is so black, I really didn't know how to reconcile whether I'm supposed to (or want to) pull for her, or not, and wondering how the writers are going to redeem her in our eyes; If that's her end, then I guess that solves their problem (but not mine -- I was very pulled in to trying to figure out her story, if she's supposed to be a very dark, dark, dark knight). Apparently she really was that dark. And the redemption is supposed to come from her husband and son? (the q. remains, for a week: Is she gone and done?)

re: paid-off acting "parents," yes, that seems to me like a no-brainer (to quote Dick Cheney).

Posts: 376 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Pace

I agree. Other than her strength, it seemed more like Nikki was mentally ill, a split personality. I mean until she launched her hubby across the room with that backhand nothing she did realy warrented the tag of super power.

Supposedly we meet Sylar next week and he is played by Sean Bean from LOTR.

msquared

D Pace
Member # 1493

Well, I took the ability of "something" that was looking out for her to reduce roomfuls of armed men to dismembered hamburger as indicative of some sort of Uber prefix. Whatever her mirror half was doing, it was tapping in to the most definitive (and destructive) raw power of any of the heroes we'd seen. (Something much like River, perhaps?)

[ October 31, 2006, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: D Pace ]

msquared
Member # 113

Pace

The thing is we never saw her do it. There was no direct evidence that she had done it. Plenty of circumstancial evidence. And we wanted to believe that she was a good girl gone bad. She was interesting becuase we did not know what her power was. We knew flying guy. We knew the foretelling the future guy. We knew the time travel guy. We knew the girl who could not die. But we did not know exactly what she could do.

msquared

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm completely jealous that y'all get to watch this show. I just hope it comes out in DVD so I can catch up.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Pace
Member # 1493

M^2

Check, I think that's a pretty apt description of what piqued my (our) curiousity as the show progressed as to Niki.

Now-- it's pretty clear it's all just two halves of her, but I still wonder what exactly she can do, ability-wise (although I can see the results)

Kent
Member # 832

You guys have to read the comic books online to get some of the backstory of Nikki. It appears that she wasn't as much of a ruthless killer as someone that was making a tough choice when the goons decided to take her out of her share of the cut. It also explains why she took so long to pay back the crime boss when she got the $30,000 loan.
Kent
Member # 832

By the way, "Save the cheerleader, save the world" is a slogan I can definitely get behind and support. ANY candidate running with this plank in his/her platform will get my vote.
D Pace
Member # 1493

Hiro Rocks! (as a serious question, did anybody notice any "time indicators" or titles on the wall of pictures at the Cafe?)
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did Peter's brother describe the black guy with the cheerleader's father as "some Euro-dude"? He didn't even speak. And is that the same guy that they are now describing as a Haitian that marked the cop and the pyro guy?

I have haitian friends but I couldn't tell if someone was haitian or not without hearing them speak.

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

It's possible that it's due to the clothing he wore. It sounds strange, but if you live in New York, there's a difference that people pick up between "natives" and "Euro-trash" in how they dress, and what they wear.

That MIGHT be what happened there.

Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an awsome show.
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Yep. I was worried, early on, but dang - it's going good now!
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it. We talked about it somewhere else here once before.

I think Claire's dad is doing what he is doing to protect her. I don't think he is evil.

Has everybody Sylar killed been killed by having their heads sawed open and their brains removed?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
I love it. We talked about it somewhere else here once before.

I think Claire's dad is doing what he is doing to protect her. I don't think he is evil.

Has everybody Sylar killed been killed by having their heads sawed open and their brains removed?

KE

I don't think we really know at this point...
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

I'm not even sure we have it fully confirmed that the bodies with the heads chopped were killed by Sylar.

It's been implied that Sylar is the white guy with brown hair and a watch that we've seen glimpses of. We've also seen an apartment that was supposedly his and it had requests for forgiveness written all over the walls. We've heard an answering machine message that seemed to have Sylar talking to the now dead geneticist.

We know the FBI and the cheerleader's dad both know the name Sylar and they believe him connected to the deaths but we don't really know why they believe this.

javelin
Member # 1284

Hell, Psiler might be a certain blondish girl with a badge and a telepathic partner... [Big Grin]
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

I was thinking about an image that keeps reappearing in this series.

It looks like a weird shaped S. I think we first saw it in Sylar's apartment (on a sticky note by the pictures) (the one Mohinder checked out and found the textbook of a brain in). We also saw it in a number of other places: on a necklace worn by the black dude that often accompanies the cheerleader's father, in paintings by Isaac, and as a tattoo on Nikki when she turns evil.

Can any of you remember other places this symbol appears?

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page