Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Heroes (the TV show) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Heroes (the TV show)
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a thing in the pool at the murder scene where "reads people's thoughts" guy was introduced. Same shape, etc.

Also, I'm not sure I would characterize "mirror Nkki" (what did she say her name was? Jessica? Sarah? Something like that) as "evil". Sure, she kills people and such, but it seems more like she's just very ruthless and willing to sacrafice everything for her son.

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the phone call she had with her son, she didn't seem to care all that much about him. She just seemed determined to do whatever she needed to get what she wants. Sometimes I think she tells herself that it's for the kid when in reality it's just to convince herself. She seemed to almost set herself up so that he'd take the kid and she'd have further justification to convince her normal self to follow her other self and allow it to take dominance.

But you could be right. *shrug*

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok that was a good episode. I figured out Peter would live even with all the "You'r going to die" things. He was still brave, since he did not know that he would absorb Claire's powers. He did not even know it was Claire he was supposed to save.

I am still waiting until they get more than a couple of these people together.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the first episode, and now the last 3... The lady with the Haitian guy at the end last night, that's the same lady who works with Claire's dad, correct?
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes she is. Her power seems to be some form of mental domination. I wonder why she does not use it on Claire's dad? She made Issac use drugs again so that he would paint and she made Sylar hesitate enough for the other guy to knock him out, I think.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like a power of suggestion or something. Like she can implant a voice in your head that says "you should do X". I figure they'll explain it as something that you can fight if you know it's coming or what the voice is or something like that. Sylar obviously didn't realize what was happening. I can only wonder what's going to happen to him now. Oh, and wtf is Hero doing keeping Ando waiting? That's not cool, man, and it's not like Mr. Time Bender has any excuse for being late to, well, ANYTHING!
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Unless he is dead.

Which would cause such an uproar. Of course we know he is not dead since he comes back from the future to talk to Peter.

msquared

Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... and Peter is congressman who can fly dude's brother, correct?

And Hero's delay, it doesn't make much of a cliffhanger if he just pops right back in seconds after leaving...

On that note, I wonder if he can duplicate himself in one time stream? IE, go back to a place he was before and interact with himself...??? That'd be interesting.

Now, some say that would fracture space-time or something since the same object can't exist in the same space... or so theory goes. However, IIRC, you shed your skin and have a complete "new" skin every 15 days or something like that, so, technically speaking, if he was 15 days removed when he went back to talk to himself, he is physically not the same matter.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Yes Peter is the politicians brother. The politician is Nathan.

Peter was a nurse who was taking care of the father of the girl dating Issac. Issac is the artist who paints the future when high.

I do not think Hiro will just pop back in seconds after leaving. I mean they have already shown Ando waiting what seems like a day or more for him. It will be neat to see how they pull this off.

msquared

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if the show is going on a break soon? Wikipedia's list of episodes shows one more on the fourth and then a break until January 22nd for the next one.

Monday's episode was confusing to me. It was exciting and fun but it left a lot more questions than answers. For instance, how did Sylar get his first power...it seems like he acted on impulse, like it suddenly just occurred to him how he could get powers and yet this isn't the kind of thing someone would know how to do on impulse. Did anyone else feel like that was a bit of a stretch? Hopefully we'll learn more details later.

It was similarly confusing how Hiro felt he couldn't change the past. Either the present already accounted for his flashback (how she got the japanese dictionary) or he DID change the past (how the picture changed from no Hiro at the party to Hiro at the party). Or was Hiro just saying he couldn't change the past because he was depressed at his accuracy in moving through time (fear of going back to dinosaur days)?

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was noting that no matter what he did, she always died. Bt that was just my impression as he returned to the diner by bus.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me it was clear that Sylar's 'power' is to understand and co-opt others' powers.

Obviously, you don't understand how he did this because you don't have that particular power [Wink]

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

quote:
To me it was clear that Sylar's 'power' is to understand and co-opt others' powers.

Obviously, you don't understand how he did this because you don't have that particular power

Perhaps. It just seemed odd because in the first episode they showed an open text book focused on the brain as if he was studying it, figuring it all out. And yet if he did it once on a spur of the moment then why did he later need to study it?
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sick of that "Save the cheerleader, save the planet" tagline. I think it paints women as stereotypically vulnerable (though from what I gather the cheerleader on the show is not that way at all). Even though I never watch Family Guy, I was glad it made fun of that line with its "Save the baby [i.e., Stewie], save the planet" ad.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

Yeah...I never liked the tagline either.

It seems like they are about to end the current storyline so hopefully they will drop the tagline after that.

I really hope they move the storyline beyond Sylar. Now that we know so much more about him, I'm anxious for them to resolve that whole thing and move on to something new.

Ivan
Member # 1467

Best line of the show to date:

Hiro, upon realizing he was talking to his past self over the phone, "Great Scott!".

I'm glad they cut to commercials after that becuase it took me at least 2 minutes to stop laughing. [Smile]

DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that in the last episode? I missed the first 20 minutes...
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sylar's skill at clock repair, to understand how things work by just looking at them seems to also allow him to take other peoples power.

Don't think Hiro fully understand what he can and cannot do yet. As his older self has been in play and initiating action in the present it does appear that he is changing something.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

quote:
Best line of the show to date:

Hiro, upon realizing he was talking to his past self over the phone, "Great Scott!".

Haha, yeah. I had a flashback to "Back to the Future" and started laughing. My wife didn't see anything funny in it, though.
msquared
Member # 113

DonaldD

There is one more episode, I think, this coming Monday, Dec. 4 and then it takes a break until late January, I think.

Many shows, especially these serial types, are doing things like this. A long series of new episodes and then a long break. Lost is doing that this year.

24 started it several years ago by starting in mid to late January and going 22 weeks in a row with no repeats. The would do a two hour first episode and either a 2 hour second or a two hour finale to get the 24 episodes. It has worked wonders for 24.

msquared

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sylar's power is that he can fix things, and see what's wrong with them.

He looks at their brains (hence the removed brains) and finds out exactly what's "wrong" with the brain.

Then he can make his brain do the same thing.

That's my hypothesis, anyway.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

M^2-

Yeah, it's basically the same thing that Battlestar Galactica does, where they have two continuous strings of episodes seperated by long (in their case, 3 or 4 month, I believe) breaks. It helps keep the continuity of the show from week to week, which is imperative for serials. I can see why Heros would take the same approach, given that they've got about 500 different cast members.

Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? No analysis from last night's episode??
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

Okay, here are some thoughts that came up in discussing the latest episode with my wife.

First of all, I think it was Claire's father when talking to Sylar who said something like, "Everyone else has one power, while you have many." So, if the haitian's power is to remove memories, then he can't ALSO have the power to suppress others' powers. So does Claire's father have that power? Or is the suppression thing done through technology? It seemed that Sylar couldn't use his powers while in Mr. Bennett's room...whether Mr. Bennett or the Haitian were present or not. Was that because of technology or someone using their power on the place?

Sylar eventually did use his power there. Was it because Eden opened the door and shut down the suppression stuff so she could use her power? Or was it because he figured out how the whole suppression thing worked and found a way around it?

Also, it seems like Mr. Bennett has a boss. Someone with money. Mr. Bennett told Claire he's done some things he's ashamed of but he did it to protect her. Is someone blackmailing Mr. Bennett? Or has he just bought into the higher purpose of his boss?

Any chance that the mafia guy that Nathan has connections with is also super-powered or blackmailing Mr. Bennett? Is he trying to get Nathan voted into office to have a super-powered person in office? In other words, does he know of Nathan's powers and backing him because of it?

msquared
Member # 113

LOJ

I think Claire's dad has powers. That is why Eden was not able to make him do things. The Haitians power is to remove memmories. What I do not know is if Mr. Bennetts power only prevents people from doing things to him(Sylar, Matt the mind reader, Eden) or if it surpresses all powers.

msquared

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

For those who missed an episode, they are now all available online. Pass the word along to people not reading this thread to avoid spoilers.
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

quote:
What I do not know is if Mr. Bennetts power only prevents people from doing things to him(Sylar, Matt the mind reader, Eden) or if it surpresses all powers.
Well, Matt wasn't able to fully read either Mr. Bennett's mind OR the Haitian's...or Claire's for that matter so it seems to prevent powers being used on those around him as well. Also, wasn't the Haitian using his power on Matt while Matt's power was simultaneously being muted? Maybe it happened before and after. *shrug* Does anyone remember for sure if the Haitian or Eden ever used their power while Mr. Bennett was still present? He tends to tell them what to do and then leaves.
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Mr Bennett has any powers.
The Haitian is the one with the power to suppress others powers as well as removing memories. When ever powers are suppress the Haitian is always near by.

I also suspect Sylar was playing possum while in the cell biding his time till he figured out how the cell worked and the Haitian was away.

Not sure if the cell was anything more then a physical restraint – why did Eden think she could influence Sylar through the cells window – guess she might have disabled the cells defences thinking she could control him – perhaps the only way she controlled him before was due to the presence of the Haitian and or Sylar weakened state at the time?

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

The Haitian being near by is a ruse. He removes memmories, but I think he has to touch the person to do that. Mr. Bennett is the one who causes the static.

Claire is going to realize/find out what her father is doing. The big reveal will be his admission of powers to her.

I do not think Br. Bennett has ever been around when the Haitian or Eden used their powers.

msquared

rightleft22
Member # 2832

Was Mr Bennet around when the Haitian and Eden took down Sylar?
Eden power never seemed to have a immediate effect

msquared
Member # 113

No he was not. He was getting Claire.

msquared

rightleft22
Member # 2832

I see no point in him bing with Eden when they took down Sylar if he couldn't inhibit Sylar's power.
Still it be a good ruse if that was the case.

msquared
Member # 113

But he can inhibit Sylars power. That is why he was able to be alone with Sylar in the holding room. He was testing Eden by sending her out to get Sylar. He sent her with just the Haitian, but she had to be the one to stop Sylar so that the Haitian could put him out.

msquared

Ivan
Member # 1467

I'm thinking that the Hatian's ability isn't to "erase memories" per se. I think he can "create a void". This would account for both him erasing memories (not that he can't replace them or erase specific parts of memories; he creates an absense of memories for a given time period) and the static (it's not that he was suppressing Cop guy's powers. He was just creating an absense of the thoughts that Cop guy can hear).

Also, I figure with Eden, once you've figured out her power, you can resist it. She creates a subconcious desire to do something, and unless you will yourself or make a concious decision to do something different, it doesn't work. That's why she was failed to keep Mohinder around (he was dead set on leaving, and nagging feelings to the contrary, he just ignored) and why people are able to resist the ability once they know what it is (Mr. Bennett knew what she could do and was able to recognize the impulses she created for what they were, and similarly, Sylar was able to understand why she'd been able to put him to sleep).

I'd be surprised if Mr. Bennett had a power, since otherwise, it would be possible that his son did, too, which I assume we would have heard about.

Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What I do not know is if Mr. Bennetts power only prevents people from doing things to him(Sylar, Matt the mind reader, Eden) or if it surpresses all powers.
I don't think it suppresses all powers since Nathan Petrelli flew away after Mr. Bennett and the Haitian had him cornered in Vegas.
Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

Well, we know that the inhibiting power isn't all powerful because the cop could hear the one word from them this last episode and when they first kidnapped him he heard something (or remembered something? can't remember) and Mr. Bennett said something like, "Your power has progressed more rapidly than I thought" and then he told the Haitian to turn up the juice or something.

I'll have to watch over it again to remember exactly how he phrased it.

KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haggis,

I think that was the Organized Crime guys guys, not Bennett and the Haitian.

Ivan,

I think you are wrong about Edens power. If it worked like you assert then I don't think she would have tried to make Silar kill himself and Bennett wouldn't have needed the Haitian to control her.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

I'm surprised that noone has posted anything about this week's episode.

Especially the bit about Eden not being dead!

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone know that the Primatech Paper Company has a website?

I paused episode 12 while watching it online, when I saw a business card with the name/address.

According to wikipedia, fun things happen if you submit a profile to their HR department. I'm sending one in!

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'S' shape scrolls across the screen on that computer program which Mohinder's father wrote, and is on the front page of the comic strip which Hiro found.

Spoilers

Hmm, that's annoying. I thought it was really cool that they were having an "undefined" character on a major TV show. However, I recently discovered that it was never meant to be the case. Apparently, Tim Kring (the creator) always intended for Zack to be gay. Not so cool. And then the situation got even weirder, when someone (the studio execs, or maybe Zack's managers) decided that the character must be straight, which is pretty disappointing.

Oh well. I suppose ex-gay therapy is more effective than I thought. [Roll Eyes] But seriously it was fun to have some ambiguity while it lasted. Reminded me of Sixth Form.

Edited to add: the ambiguity also makes that line "[W]e're going to anal probe you!" about ten times funnier. [LOL]

End spoilers

[ February 17, 2007, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Jordan ]

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page