Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Halloween in america

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Halloween in america
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THAT'S FUNNY!!!!
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems funny at first, but it leaves me feeling sad.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humor is based on pain. Consider the expression 'slapstick'.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't really find it funny. Preachy, kind of. So how much harder is it to fake up a bunch of paper ballots and pull a switcharoo than it is to hack voting machines?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preachy is fine.
We NEED to care about this sort of stuff.

Considering how paper trails work, its much harder to fake up a bunch of ballots and get them counted then it is for someone to hack these machines.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scfibum,

quote:
. So how much harder is it to fake up a bunch of paper ballots and pull a switcharoo than it is to hack voting machines?
A heck of a lot harder,

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/evoting.ars

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061028-8098.html

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very illuminating. Thank you.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread, Everard. I wanted to post this one myself when I saw it on Sunday, but didn't get around to it.

BTW, they are all refering to Sunday, Oct. 29th comic, not today's comic (which the link appears to go to).

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What isn't that hard with paper ballots, is "vote-stealing" (one of the techniques that is also a problem with ballots). In this case, you don't fake ballots, you simply make sure that some get lost in a district that favors your opponent. Or casting votes illegally - a timeless strategy.

Although, the current safeguards in place for paper ballots work for the most part.

As I said in another thread, the engineers who designed the Diebold systems should be fired. This is not secure. It is not safe. The current methods in place say that you are supposed to throw out votes if the safety seals have been tampered with. But that is an exact method by which a voter could get a bunch of ballots tossed out (as described in the paper ballot scenario above).

For a long time, I dismissed concerns about electronic voting because I imagined the system as I would have designed it.

We need to fix this. Soon.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you meant to link Here
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page