Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Your Election Predictions - Closes Monday PM (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Your Election Predictions - Closes Monday PM
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Locally:

I predict:

¶ MA will return to 1-party rule almost completely.

¶ ¶ Romney's hand-picked successor will be soundly defeated by a black man for governor. (I'm voting for an Independent who at least born in Massachusetts and can talk my language.)

¶ Lieberman will win in CT.

¶ Democrats will take the House.

¶ Marsians will take the Senate. Actually, I don't think a D/R/I split will give a clear definition since there are liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats. Maybe Cheney will have a lot of voting to do in the next 2 years.

¶ I'll meet some nice old lady at the polls, we'll get married, and she'll leave her Mercedes, her horse farm, and her Florida home to me. Her children will take out a contract on my life.

Well, I have to look on the bright side of things [Wink] , but there is reality to deal with!

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a local election for me, none of the congressional seats are in play, but the Blaine house is (governor), and there is a ballot proposal to put a budget cap on spending.

I will be voting against the incumbant democrat governer, who is incompetant and likely corrupt, and probably will vote for the Rep. challenger. Haven't decided, I always said that the right wing social agenda was a deal breaker for me for moral reasons,but my dad knows the guy, and he is honest and sincere. He hasn't campaigned at all on social issues, only spending and government growth, so maybe its not on his agenda to strip away minority protections (for example). My other option is the green candidate, who has some good ideas, but honestly I want to do more than lodge a protest vote. I want Baldacci out of there, and Woodcock (the Rep) is the only guy who can do that. We'll see how I feel on tuesday.

The tax cap is just a stupid law. Maine has a heritage center of its own now (hooray), and they throw out crap like this every year. It won't pass.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the hell of it...

* Burns eeks out a win in Mahntana.
* Webb beats Allen in Vuhginny
* The disgusting whatisname running against Ford in Tennessee wins, which speaks volumes about the people of that state.
* Democrats cheat enough to retain Joisy.
* They retain Maryland without having to.
* Dems win the house by 5
* Repugs retain the Senate by 1.5 (51-48 and Lieberdick)

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would vote for Woodcock too, Adam.

So, not to drop conspiracy theory, but "do we have anybody in Pennsylvania?" [Big Grin] That's got to be a beeeeg senate race with Santorum on the line.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone going to make guesses on which states, if any, will be contested? There's been a lot of threads lately on electronic voting. How many losing candidates will claim voter fraud as the reason for their loss?
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Her children will take out a contract on my life."

With pre-payment terms written into the pre-nuptias so you don't have to pay for THAT too, [Wink]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

Yoikes! Most any loser could! You saw that a FL voting machine from the 'Chad Era' sold on E-Bay for $350?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ain't sure about Libermann winning. Wishful thinking on my part about a 'moment of truth' in the polls. Ever notice how bad smells are concentrated in, um, stalls of public expression?

"...And I stink to myself, "What a wonderful woild...."

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

$350? Such a deal!
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

LA Times on Santorum race, considering it a teeter-totter on Senate control:

"If Democrats are unable to defeat Santorum, they are unlikely to win a majority in the Senate, which Republicans control 55 to 45."

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-santorum16oct16,0,894713.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Richard Dey
Member # 1727

NB Lieberman, Oz, unless a whole pile of Democrats show up for somebody else, Lieberman is in. I detest that man! Eastern Democrats, however, are glad to be rid of him. He was never on board on social issues, and they only half in and half in the water on the war.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Even if the Dems don't gain control of the Senate, there will be a roughly 50/50 mix and a political climate in which it will be suicide for Republicans to vote in gridlock and suicide for Dems NOT to appear united and vote mostly in step. At least for the next year.

Same effect, I reckon?

Meanwhile, both parties' ships will have to trim sail in a manner that allows them to make headway against the prevailing fan**** wind. This wind wil allow Dems to put up ful sail and cruise at high speed while the Reps will be forced to tack tediously.

Guess which party is likely to reach open sea and make for a New World first?

Richard Dey
Member # 1727

Interesting analysis, Oz, and can't refute its logic.

The problem from the east, however, is that it will be same-ol' same-ol': taxing the hell out of everybody and buying more votes. If the Republicans weren't refreshing, and they were not, at least their scandals were amusing [Wink] .

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

The same-ol' be ever with us. But the same-ol can accomplish things. In the 60s, it put a man on the moon even as we wasted so so very very much in Viet Nam.

I envisions a period of turmoil and adjustment and then a commencement of an Apollo-programesque alternative energy quest that lifts us from the futle mire of Us-vs.-Them political themery and into our higher version of ourselves:

Yankee Ingenuity.

Also, I rpedict a fashion resurgence in the next 15 years of a modernized version of the MOdel T, utilizing ultra-light/ultra-strong molecularly engineered materials.

I love the future, don't you?

Not that I don't cherish the past, mind you.

Why is it that Reps look slightly sillier with their pants down that a Dem? It's not a moral thing, it's a matter of *style*.

Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prediction: Republicans will maintain control of both houses of Congress.
Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Poll dances:

polls

DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dems seem to have done better in polls than on voting days recently, so...
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have your intel, I have the intel: Rove analyzes the poll numbers Monday night, Bush cancels the election and declares martial law, Kerry appointed Secretary of Humor, Cheney stages coup and declares martial law, RD marries some old lady, Rumsfeld overthrows Cheney and declares martial law, it snows in Michigan, Al Haig shot leading commando unit storming the WH, RD shot by assailants unknown, Limbaugh arrested for doing the wiggle on his radio show.

If none of the above happens, Dems take control of the House by 10, Senate is 50-49 Dems + Lieberman.

[ November 03, 2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: DaveS ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you're probably at least right on the snow part.

Isn't Lieberman just going to switch back to Democrat once elected?

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so, but he promises to caucus with them.

Dag, you really think y'all are keeping the house? [Smile]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find http://www.electoral-vote.com/ to be a pretty good summary of the major polls, for however much you think they reflect what the actual outcome will be.

I'm a PA resident as well and, while Casey isn't ideal (I was much more interested in Chuck Pennacchio, but he didn't have the same name-power as Casey) it's definintely heartening to see that it looks like he's going to bump Santorum out.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dag, you really think y'all are keeping the house?
Yep.

Here's an interesting question: in 2000, there was a tie in the Senate. The Republicans could have forced majority status by simply having Cheney vote on all the assignments. Instead, they agreed to a powersharing arrangement that lasted until Jefford's defection.

Does anyone think that will happen if the Senate goes 50-50 this year (counting Lieberman as a Democrat)?

Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

quote:
Does anyone think that will happen if the Senate goes 50-50 this year (counting Lieberman as a Democrat)?
That's an interesting question. Lieberman makes things complicated. I'm betting there won't be any power sharing in that scenario unless Lieberman officially turns back into a democrat...and maybe not even then.
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I predict that I will be disappointed by both the process and the results, and that I will spend Wednesday weeping for the future of America.

Uncertain results through the use of electronic voting spark what will be known in future textbooks as the Diebold Rebellion.

The Congress will continue to spend money like water throughout the next two years, while either raising taxes or increasing debt. No one will introduce a Balanced Budget Amendment for a floor vote.

45 of the 92 days actually spent in session will be spent on Gay Marriage and Flag Burning.

Ted Stevens, not facing re-election, will attempt to build on-ramps to the Information Superhighway, without realizing that it is a metaphor.

These are The Drake's predictions.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

"Ted Stevens, not facing re-election, will attempt to build on-ramps to the Information Superhighway, without realizing that it is a metaphor."

Better than the actual bridges he builds, no? [Big Grin]

And no, I doubt there will be power sharing.

[ November 03, 2006, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Richard Dey
Member # 1727

I dunno, Dagonee ...! but the possibility of some ties does seem possible.

¶ For those with Pbsophobia, The MacLaughlin Group is predicting a Democrat sweep of state houses, senate, and house. Their interesting call of the Senate, Pyrtolin -- Santorum loses!

OH, PA, RI, MD, MT, VA will all go Democrat. TN will remain R. Thus: Democrats will take the Senate.

¶ 'Tea' with the poets Ottone Riccio and Dolores Stewart this ahfte'noon. Yes, poetry is very much alive.

¶ Eating Israeli chocolate, RB, 'Elite' brand. Very canned-milk tasting but pretty good texture.

Richard Dey
Member # 1727

Andrew Sullivan says Conservatives should vote Democrat to stop Republican neoconism. He says that conservatives need to lose to redeem themselves (from doubling the national debt).

The blogosphere will count more than big money, he thinks -- suggesting that MO could go to the Democrat female (with 1/4 million left to spend) rather than the Republican male (with $6 million left).

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Andrew Sullivan says Conservatives should vote Democrat to stop Republican neoconism. He says that conservatives need to lose to redeem themselves (from doubling the national debt)."

I think he's right, and I think it's happening, just like Clinton brought the Dems in from the outside left towards more moderate positions.

The Drake is my prophet. Not my as in 'I own him' but as in 'I follow his predictions'.

Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Perry will remain governor of the pathetic state of texass.

Republicans will continue to control Congress.

Voting machines will become the new pink.

I will abandon my country within the next decade.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frogcat2
Member # 2428

- posted      Profile for frogcat2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're talking predictions, take a look at the editorial over at The Exile:
The Coming Republican Party "Shocker"
http://www.exile.ru/2006-November-03/election_2006.html

Essentially, he predicts Republicans will maintain control of both House and Senate.

I get the sense he may be on to something...

quote:
if the Democrats win, it means raising the hate-heat up several hundred degrees in the American political discourse; if the Republicans win, well, that's just comedy that needs no explanation.
quote:
The Kerry scandal shows how utterly tenuous Middle America's anger towards the Republicans is over Iraq, and how eager they are to shift the blame to the Democrats and liberals, if given even the slightest pretext.
quote:
if the Democrats take just one of the two houses, <snip> I will promise to write at least two straight-faced editorials in 2007 condemning the new Democratic-led house of Congress for a) playing partisan politics; b) giving in to the radical blame-America-first crowd; and c) giving aid and comfort to terrorists.

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Dems pick up about 7 House seats, don't take the House. Incumbency and gerrymandering.

Dems take the Senate.

These newly elected D cup Senators are careful. They are coming from moderate states, not the Deep Blue that Kerry, Hillary etc come from, thus face real reelections. The Kos wing is very disgruntled, which I bask in with beatific smile...

Richard discovers he's a closet heterosexual and the use of clothes as a part of societal norms, thus improving the scenery this summer in Yankeedom. [Wink]

flydye45
unregistered

"Uncertain results through the use of electronic voting spark what will be known in future textbooks as the Diebold Rebellion."

I agree with this except to add Presumed uncertain results. This uncertain results occur in an odd statistical fashion. Where a Dem wins, there is no anomaly. Where a Dem loses...it is Karl Rove and his infamous Diebold master control switch and Democratic lawyers will "find" reasons to contest. [Roll Eyes]

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could throw three darts while you are in the Men's room, and they all hit the bull's eye. Preposterous. But nobody saw me do it, and no one can corroborate the story.

The results are 100% accurate and honest, but highly uncertain.

Now, what if I had a videotape of the darts in flight? That's what a paper trail is. It makes the results certain.

So what you meant to say, I'm assuming, was presumed inaccurate or presumed fraudulent. [Big Grin]

The unceratinty lets people give in to all their suspicion and fear.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Both Dems and Reps are sorely revoled these days.

But the Dems have not been in the main public pillory (control of Congress) for several years, while the Reps have prominently been so).

There ain't enough hide on the elephants skin to currently make it worth throwing darts at the beast.

The mule's hide, however, has ample space for fresh spear-chucking.

The public loves a fresh target.

flydye45
unregistered

Considering how "Chad" went from an uncool name to a very uncool and "presumably uncertain" method of voting, I contest that paper makes things more certain. Or have you forgotten 2000?

The whole point of these electronic "foolproof" machines was to get away from the fool prone methods contested by the Democrats.

You may pine whistfully for paper certainty, while I recall stuffed ballot boxes and a lack of identification which makes paper methods at least as questionable...

[ November 04, 2006, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOP loses ground in Congress but retains a small majority. It's small enough that the party starts coming down hard on maverick Republicans and really getting antsy about representatives who vote with their conscience instead of their party.

Democrats pick up the senate, because right now nothing but a shocking sunday-night scandal about Hillary Clinton snorting cocaine off the backsides of starving orphans will be enough to ruin the Democrat lead.

Something will screw up with electronic voting machines somewhere. The story won't even be a nine days' wonder, but conservative and liberal bloggers will both spend the next two years claiming their candidates were robbed of victory.

Santorum will lose his seat. But really, who didn't see that coming?

Democrats will finally find some balls about hot-button social/moral issues because they can smell good times a-comin', but will continue to be absolute pussies and refuse to rock the boat on anything that might be construed as national security, because they don't want to give anyone an opportunity to blame them for putting politics ahead of keeping America safe.

Despite this, the Bush Administration and conservative talking-heads will spend the next two years blaming all the nation's ills on the uncooperative Democrats who have a stranglehold on the senate, and will doubtless use this as their part of their '08 campaign.

Whether the Dems win the senate or not, the Administration will continue the War In Iraq, because they'd much rather see a hypothetical Democrat administration take the blame for being the ones in charge when America finally throws in the towel.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

While The Drazke is my Prophet of Absurdity, Rallan is my Prophet of Reality.
TCB
Member # 1677

- posted      Profile for TCB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Counting Lieberman as a Democrat, the Senate will be either 50-50 or 51-49 in favor of the Republicans. It comes down to Missouri (TN and VA will both go Republican).

In the House, the Democrats will barely win. Polls suggest they'll win big, but I'm not confident that pollsters have figured out how to solve the simultaneous problems of gerrymandering and cell phones. Also, as Donald mentioned, the Republicans have regularly beaten the polls the past several years.

Voting machine problems (be they fraud, programming errors, or messy GUIs) throw a huge amount of uncertainty into the election results. (My prediction for 2008 is that this problem still won't be solved.)

Finally, Republican strategists will be pleased with any losses because, 1) it will force Democrats to make the call on withdrawing from Iraq, 2) they believe Congress, not Bush, will take the heat for the president's inability to get results in his last two years, and 3) minority parties have fewer scandals. They believe these factors will improve the GOP's chances in 2008.

Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

quote:
Originally posted by flydye45:
I contest that paper makes things more certain. Or have you forgotten 2000?

Punchcard ballots aren't the only kind of paper. But I'll spare everyone the long version of my rebuttal, so the thread can continue with predictions.
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I predict more of the same.

Yum.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page