Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » whoa!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: whoa!!!!
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Senior Democrat renews call for draft

Tell me that the Dems ain't trying to find a solution. This guy's got balls.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
solution, or stunt?

His real position is that we shouldn't be in Iraq. He's using this plan for publicity and pressure.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wedge issue stunt, but poorly aimed.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.
And I don't see his support for the draft but opposition for the war as anything but disingenuous.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrm.
I'm not sure disingenuous is the right word.

But let me stake out my own position rather then someone else's:

If we want to accomplish anything positive in iraq, and I'm not sure thats possible no matter what we do, but the only way I see that we can accomplish anything positive, requires at least 3 times as many troops as we have there right now.

We can't support 3 times as many troops as we have in iraq right now, unless we abandon a lot of our interests in other places around the world. For example, we could clear our our korea garrison. But how long would it be til north korea invaded south korea if we did that? And then would we want to send troops or would we let the far east devolve?

So the answer would probably need to be to find 250,000 more combat personnel, and our recruiters aren't doing well enough to support that. We'd need to institute some kind of draft if we want to send another 200,000 plus troops to iraq within a year.

THe other opition is to start pulling out now. We can either sit there and keep doing what we are doing, which will cost us hundreds of billions and hundreds of soldiers lives, and not really accomplish much of anything that is of strategic benefit to the united states, start withdrawing and let iraqi's handle the situation themselves, or institute some form of draft.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the article:

quote:
The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The
Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

The ultimate irony of this was that the bill Rangel introduced was cited together with a bill re-upping Selective Service by a bunch of lying activists who swore that the Bush administration would reinstate the draft by July 2005 if reelected.

This is nothing new. The democrats didn't support him then and won't support him now.

Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Iraq would go better with a bunch of resentful draftees policing Baghdad?
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

THats an interesting use of the word "lie" dagonee. Do you KNOW that they knew bush wouldn't reinstate the draft?
Everard
unregistered

I suspect the resentful part would be outweighed by the 250,000 of them. Thats more or less what we discovered in vietnam... draftees might not be as efficient, but they arent negative value, when compared to volunteers.
Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
THats an interesting use of the word "lie" dagonee. Do you KNOW that they knew bush wouldn't reinstate the draft?
I knew that they didn't know he would. I knew that the fliers on the subject contained numerous out-and-out inaccurate statements with citations to things that, when looked up, directly contradicted what they were saying about them. To me, that indicates a lie. Either the mistake is a lie because they knew what the citation actually said, or the citation was a lie, because it means they didn't actually cite it.

Beyond that, they spoke of "uncovering" Bush's "secret plan" and that it was already in the works. They didn't know that, there's no way they could have known it.

Beyond that, associating Rangel with a secret Bush plan was either a lie or an unbelievable expression of stupidity.

Some of the articles on the subject were something like "Does Bush intend to reinstate the draft?" That's not a lie.

"Bush intends to reinstate draft" without ever having heard any evidence of such intent is a lie. And the cited evidence wasn't evidence of intent.

Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I should let you know that that usage of the word lie is significantly more broad then the usage of the word lie that I have been told is against ornery rules. just so you know.

Not saying I entirely disagree with you. Saying that, if javelin wants to be a consistent moderator, he should be sending you an email that you aren't allowed to use lie like that on these boards, since ther are people posting here who used some of that reasoning.

Dagonee
Member # 2212

I would appreciate being left out of your feud with the moderators here. I like them, I don't know who they are. I also like javelin. I also like you in general, but the ongoing remarks on the subject are very unbecoming. If you're genuinely concerned for my not running afoul of the rules, you have my email address, or can give me a warning without mentioning javelin.

I'll give you an example of the citation. This is drawn from memory and is certainly inaccurate, but it captures the essential elements of what I witnessed:

"The new law calls for the local draft officials to begin notifying inductees on July 10, 2005. (P.L. 3141 Sec. 59)

P.L. 3141 Sec. 59 actually authorizes the appointment of the local officials who oversee Selective Service Registration and increases their salary while making no mention of induction.

That is a lie. The citation is saying "I have confirmed that the preceding sentence is supported by this reference." Either they know that it isn't supported - and hence the preceding sentence is a lie - or they haven't actually looked up the law - in which case the citation is a lie. There is a slim possibility that they found a bogus copy of P.L. 3141, but since the ones conducting the local campaign were law students, that cover doesn't work for them.

I've never seen anything like that here on this subject. If I had, I almost certainly would have registered a couple months sooner, because this topic really pissed me off right before the election.

Now, if someone describes a law and says "somewhere in this new law" and it turns out they are totally wrong, then that might be an error and, under the rules here, I can't call it a lie. But the actual citation? Claiming to have evidence that just doesn't exist? Those are lies by any definition.

To clarify - if the person who relied on the bogus copy of the law is entirely innocent, there's still someone who lied - the person who made the bogus copy. Hence, I know there's a liar in the chain of activism, even if the local person isn't that liar.

[ November 19, 2006, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Everard
unregistered

I know they are lies by definition. So is what I got warned about calling a lie. Lie, as far as the mods are concerned, is a word that is not allowed on ornery, according to the emails I have from them.
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read, some of the major issues in Vietnam arose from draftees being used as piecemeal replacements for units that were already fielded.

If we change that policy a little bit, a draft could make a lot of sense. A required military term, served somewhere between the age of 18-25, would force a lot more of the population (that is more than the southern United States [Smile] to see what the military is all about.

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I do not think that seeing what the military is all about would make this country a better place. I am fairly certain that requiring military service would make this a worse place. a large standing military is too tempting to people who make policy for the military.
Everard
unregistered

"From what I've read, some of the major issues in Vietnam arose from draftees being used as piecemeal replacements for units that were already fielded."

Yeah, but they were't negatively productive. IE, having them was better then having noone.

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard,

You forgot the third option that I posted about a few months a go, which is to abandon the worst parts of Iraq to the insurgents, concentrate on solidifying our base--police, schools, Iraqi Army--, and then move out in a few months or years to retake the rest of Iraq.

A draft is a ridiculous idea, and as a Democrat, I'm both ashamed of Rangel for pulling a stupid political stunt like this, and mortified at his stupidity. I can't but think that this will just add substance to the attacks that Democrats don't care about individual liberty.

What an idiot.

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I agree a draft is a ridiculous idea.

I'm not sure I think your option is really viable, though I guess it is at the very least an option [Smile]

We sorta did a bit of that in afganistan and now the taliban is coming back there. But we did it poorly, so perhaps executed properly it would work.

Which of course means it would have to wait til 2009 at the earliest.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"His real position is that we shouldn't be in Iraq. He's using this plan for publicity and pressure."

It is obvious that he has raised the stakes. But it is not so obvious that he is not sincere, even though it is likely that the stakes he raised will probably become an uncalled bluff, since COngress is unlikely to enact a draft.

Whether it is a bluff on arrival, it doesn't mean that he doesn't believe a draft is necessary. I was and am against our invasdion of Iraq. I predicted the outcome would be dismal, I have also said repeatedly that the only way out other than humiliating withdrawal, is a massive asmount of troops the like of which would reqauire a draft.

Also, this is a renewed call for a draft (bold emphasis mine):

"Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

Ponder that a bit. He has put his money (re-electyion) where his mouth is, and is consistent about it. If it's just a bluff, it's sophisticared and ballsy bluff.

"And I don't see his support for the draft but opposition for the war as anything but disingenuous."

Really.

"I'm sure Iraq would go better with a bunch of resentful draftees policing Baghdad?"

Well, you can always pull troops out of your rectum, I suppose. A fella says we need to sacrifice more of our flesh and blood to accomplish our mission, a mission he disapproves of but acknowledges must now be finished somehow, and suddenly we're scared to get our feet wet.

I also note that National Guardsmen being called for their second hitch aren't necessarily delighted to be returning to Iraq.

It is easy to dismiss the representative's proposal on the basis that 'his fellow dems' won't support it, but the republican-controlled Congress didn't pass it either.

It is easy to criticize a sub-faction of the left for dubiously citing his proposal as part af a Bush agenda to reinstate the draft, but that is only to place the poorly thought out opinions and dishonestly stated claims of a minority against the simple statements of the representative.

But the simple fact is that the bastard is stating the friggin' truth: we need a draft... or we need to get out of Iraq as soon as possible. If he's just grandstanding a bluff to gain poitical clout, one can only admire his shrewdness. All he has to do is stand up and tell the truth. Such a deal.

A draft a bad idea? Question: is there anyone here who sees the USA avoiding significant conflicts over the next several decades? I hate it but the likelihood seems to ne very strong that we'll be getting tangled up in blue all over the world for the nexr few decades.

Gonna take a draft. A whole lotta folks wanna talk about war but no one wants to staff tone. Kinda like Rumsfeld. We all know how well *his* approach worked. Not.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I add that wanting enough troops to finish the job you didn't want started isn't disingenous; it's responsible.

Disingenuity is to be found in the likes of Rumsfeld, who misled from the beginning about why and how to invade Iraq and transform it into a peaceful democracy.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

p.s. *sigh* It was so much easier before this recent election when Bush-bashing was the single most effective action to take toward resolviung this Iraqi mess.

Now the duck is lame and argely irrelevant. Let the rangeling (sic) begin. It will require a war in Congress to end the war in Iraq.

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard said:
quote:
I am fairly certain that requiring military service would make this a worse place. a large standing military is too tempting to people who make policy for the military.
I agree. Required service would allow for a much smaller standing army. With so many pre-trained reservists, we would not need as many active-duty personnel.

Everard also said:
quote:
I do not think that seeing what the military is all about would make this country a better place.
I disagree.

[ November 19, 2006, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: FiredrakeRAGE ]

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I go on record stating I'm all for universal military service.
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"that is more than the southern United States"

Uh, FDR?

It's just the North East that doesn't proportionatly supply volunteers. Enlistments from CA, for instance, are almost exactly proportionate to our percentage of the total population.

edited to add

I'm all for universal service, but not universal military service.

[ November 19, 2006, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

Well, there are a lot of ways to grow the ranks.

You could offer more cash, so it would be appealing to more than the least well-heeled among us.

You could build an army of killer robots. The Boomba could clear out a few hidey holes, you could afford to lose the unit - replacing it means more jobs not fewer citizens.

You could offer land to any settler that will come and defend it. [Wink]

The Drake
Member # 2128

You could make military service a prerequisite to enfranchisement. (Robert Heinlein)
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, service was a prerequisite, not neccesarily military. Don't have the book anymore, but I remember that bit pretty clearly.

Look at it this way, should those medically unfit be denied the franchise?

Also, we've got this annoying freedom of religion concept, and we don't always need a massive standing military.

We have plenty of trees to plant and highways to repair and build. We have plenty of inner city kids who could use a reading tutor, even one in a wheelchair.

What I want, you get three hots and a cot + minimum wage for four years, the toughest work we can give you, and you get the franchise...OR you can go into the military and get similar pay and the franchise + the GI bill and the ussual veterans preference for government jobs and such.

There are a million things we could use non-military low-cost labor for, from cleaning up brown sites to rebuilding after disasters, to fighting wild fires, to constructing classrooms, to cooking up food and driving trucks in Iraq if they were willing, and all for a lot less than we're paying contractors to do the same stuff now.

Those willing to serve overseas would also essentialy let us embark on a program of winning hearts and minds, allowing people to do their service AFTER college if they wanted and putting their skills to work in a seriously expanded version of the Peace Corps. You wanna fight the guys who brought water to your village or fixed grandmas cataracts?

Additional benefits? Plenty of young people with savings and trade skills, a strong work ethic, a sense of discipline, and an investment in their society.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I'm all for universal military training. From there, I can go for what Jesse describes.

I don't know squat about firearms, although I've had more than the average share of interesting run-ins and experiences and experiments with guns. Yet my tax dollers go to nuclear weapos programs.

I beieve our society would be a bit saner if we all went through a bt of West Point. Not just guns and tear gas but also an additional 3 months of heavy hard-core civics education including mandatory debate, oratory, editorialization ('pamphleteering'?) et cetera.

I believe franchise should be a burden we carry not a right we are granted. No, not mandatory voting or any crap like that. But a period of tribal induction in our teenage years that prepares us for the rigors of attempting group self-management. (I believe that the more corrupt elements of our government would vehemently oppose such education and involvement.)

I think C-SPAN should somehow tie in Nielsen ratings with Congressional clout and tenure, providing incentive for sessions of Congress to be both as crudely engaging as Jerry Springer and smoothly sophisticated as Boston Legal.

We should hold our politicians to standards at least as high as those we hold for talk show guests.

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm all for universal service, but not universal military service.

quote:

I go on record stating I'm all for universal military service.

It's times like these that I am reminded of just how far away in outlook I am from my fellow 'liberals'.

I get that there are lots of cool things that could and can be done with forced labor and forced military service, but what you guys are proposing rubs me wrong on so many different levels of principle.

I guess, at heart, the idea that a citizen must serve the state for some period of years for the collective good strikes me as just this side of, I don't know, I don't want to say slavery, but something pretty wrong.

[ November 20, 2006, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

By the way, I don't mind the state offering service to people at a competitive wage and hiring them. But holding a gun to their head and saying you will serve, or else? No way.

Rereading what you guys wrote, it is unclear to me whether you want 'universal' civil/military service, or you just want to make a precondition of franchise. While the latter option is less distasteful, I would still oppose it.

Everard
unregistered

I'd actually say its WORSE, storm. "Oh, you didn't serve? Well, you aren't a citizen, then." As compared to "everyone is equal. If you refuse, you go to jail."
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Once you go to jail, though, you often lose the ability to vote.

Also, going to jail for any length of time is destructive to a person on emotional and economic levels, and sometimes physical levels, that just not having citizenship is not.

I grant you, though, that the problem would correct itself when the people voted to get rid of it, whereas without their vote, that wouldn't happen.

I guess I see your point.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"I get that there are lots of cool things that could and can be done with forced labor and forced military service, but what you guys are proposing rubs me wrong on so many different levels of principle.

I guess, at heart, the idea that a citizen must serve the state for some period of years for the collective good strikes me as just this side of, I don't know, I don't want to say slavery, but something pretty wrong."

Who ya calling a liberal!?! [Wink]

I sympathize with your sentiments. I note that taxation is a form of slavery, although one that grants one the right to be a pauper all one's life and in so doing escape paying taxes.

"...it is unclear to me whether you want 'universal' civil/military service, or you just want to make a precondition of franchise. While the latter option is less distasteful, I would still oppose it."

Both are options. Conscription, to be sure, comes and goes and will likely come again.

I like to think in terms of 'fealty'. Our government is sworn to fealty toward us via COnstitution. We native born citizens are sworn to no more fealty than to avoid outright treason. (I'm leaving Rule of Law aside of this. We are all obviously subject to the Law, fealty or franchise notwithstanding. For a moment's comparative perspective, consider diplomatic immunity.)

We have invented a state that, remarkably, is pledged to serve us. How well it delivers is another matter. It is nonetheless pledged to serve at our pleasure and in our interests. We the people, et cetera.

Yeah, I'd have no pproblem with 6 months' required intense training in the Two Requisites: national defense and civic mechanics. Defending the homeland and being certified to drive, maintain, repair, and customize the engine of government and vehicle of state.

As for 2 and 4 year hitches in the army or peace corps or what have you, I could see that as a prerequisite fr runnng for office, maybe (just considering the otion, is all) but don't perceive any pressing benefit from mandatory service along such lines.

But 6 months' Citizenship 101 Boot Camp strikes me as being of tremendous benefit. A cementing of the governmental social contract. Finished with either an oath to uphold the Constitution, or be granted a guest visa good for five years before you must either immigrate elsewhere or take the oath (at which time one pays the costs of one's 6-month boot camp).

People LIKE to own things. That's why cmmunism doesn't work to date. Make people earn their citizenship and franchise, and they'll probably take much beter care of same.

Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought that the services (and society in general) would be well served if each branch took some small percentage of their recruiting quota from the draft. BUT...it would have to managed in such a way that there were no exceptions, exemptions or deferments except in the most unusual circumstances.

During my time in the service (27 years combined active and reserve), I was surprised at how many "lifers" I met who came in as Vietnam-era draftees and ended up staying for 25-30 years or more.

Given that Rangel voted against the draft legislation he himself introduced in 2003, I can only conclude that this is just more grandstanding. I don't oppose a draft, but I'm vehemently opposed to one that's established for purely political reasons.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

Eh, some people are terrified by the notion of dirt under their fingernails, but I figure, if all you've done "for" this country is pick up a check or let your people handle your inherited wealth you shouldn't have any say in how the doers do.
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drake: You could make military service a prerequisite to enfranchisement. (Robert Heinlein) In Boner Boy Land Heinlein's suggestion was taken -- but women are not allowed in the military !!!

Personally, I think that the draft only works when in fact one institutes it to manage a mob of wannabe enlistees.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

IE-WWII.

70% draftees, but a lot of them like my Granda were told to go home and wait for a draft notice.

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

quote:

Eh, some people are terrified by the notion of dirt under their fingernails, but I figure, if all you've done "for" this country is pick up a check or let your people handle your inherited wealth you shouldn't have any say in how the doers do.

I think running a business, going to college, and engaging in many types of occupations, not to mention motherhood, are all more demanding and give more back to the country than many, if not most, things in the military, and require you to have more discipline.

It's not clear to me, though, what your definition of 'doer' is, or whether you are being entirely serious.

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

Richard Dey -

Since when are women not allowed in the military? I should mention that to the female Warrant I'm working with - she'll be sad to know that she can't be in the army anymore [Smile]

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FDR, he's talking about a novel, not real life.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page