Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » whoa!!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: whoa!!!!
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course. I'm not paying as much attention to the 'board as I should be. I've been a little busy lately :/

My appologies, Richard.

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the book, women were allowed in Fleet but not in the Infantry.

I'm mostly serious. I'm also not just talking about military service, by a long shot. We don't need a standing military that large most of the time.

Put your ass in the line of fire, or start cutting fire line, and tell me going to college "does more for your country". We are rapidly ceasing to be what can actually be called a society, and far too many think they've made more than enough "sacrafice" when they look at the witholding on their paycheck.

Now, I believe everyone should have the opportunity to serve and to earn the franchise, and I believe that those who refuse to pay back the Country that has already given them back so much by the time they reach their 18th birthday should still be entitled to all rights other than the franchise.

I do believe that all men are created equal, but you shouldn't get to be on the board of directors without an investment. Merely purchasing services (paying your taxes) isn't an investment.

So far, we've got the argument that a voluntary indenture for a set period of time is slavery, and the argument that the country is better served by people seeking their own self interest while their taxes are used to pay private contractor vastly inflated sums to perform tasks we could accomplish for a fraction of the cost.

Any one have an argument worth spending more than a few words refuting?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you are talking fascism and not democracy or republicanism. You're also talking class stratification. And I can't think of a single society that I would want to live in that has class stratification on the level you are talking about, because an underclass is dangerous to society, and you are talking about a government mandated underclass.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Given that Rangel voted against the draft legislation he himself introduced in 2003, I can only conclude that this is just more grandstanding."

The nuance is in the details:

Rangel votes against own draft bill

Whether the devil is in the nuance is another matter.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How am I talking about a government mandated class stratification, Everard?

*Everyone* will be eligible to serve, no matter what we have to come up with for them to do.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANd if you don't, the government mandates you are not a citizen.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

Nope, the government denies you the franchise.

Not nearly so bad as locking people up for years because they refuse to kill, neh?

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, what Jesse describes is a meritocracy. Put in a little work for Da System, earn the right to vote on how Da System works.

50% of contemporary citizens don't bother to exercise their franchize. I'm willing to bet that Jesse's model would reduce that inactivity by half.

BE...ALL THAT YOU CAN BE... ONE OF THE FEW, THE PROUD, THE FRANCHISED. Today's universal suffrage provides a great foundation for a form of democracy requiring more patriotism than a few flag decals for an elected official to give yer rat an ass.

It would give a whole new cachet to bumpoers stickers saying "I (support/oppose) x,y,z...and I VOTE."

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page