Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Admission and Confession - & I almost Die!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Admission and Confession - & I almost Die!
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we left the in-laws land yesterday my oldes wanted to take us for "One more ride" in the four wheeler. I said yes, but for the first time all weekend insisted they both buckle themselves in and I sat in the unprotected rear bed. The driver and passenger are protected by a roll bar.

I don't know what made me buckle them in, we hadn't used the seat belts all weekend, or ever. I had to dig them out of the seats because nobody ever used them.

On the way back, going about thirty miles an hour my seventeen year old hit some soft sand on a turn and flipped us.

I was holding on with my right hand and went flying when my wrist snapped and all the skin ripped off the back of it. As I was flying through the air I was thinking over and over; "Please God don't let them be hurt!"

Then I landed on the back of my head (suffering a minor concussion, my thirtieth or so) I was up running after them while they were still tumbling toward a stand of small trees. Praying to God the whole time.

When I got there and looked over the edge, they were both reasonably okay but the "mule" reaked of gas. My oldest got himself out but my youngest had slammed his leg into a tree and I had to pull him out with one arm then pull him away from the wreck.

I thanked God then, and I thank God now that we weren't hurt worse than we were. (My mother-in-law called the paramedics, unecessarily.)

Not sure which "God", or what kind of "God", I was praying to, but I guess I proved the old adage "There is no atheist when you are flying through the air head over heals at thirty miles an hour".

My oldest was yelling "Dad" before I reached them because he thought he'd killed me, but he swears the thought of "praying" never entered his mind. He says it was just "physics" that I didn't snap my neck when I landed on my head. He says I am going soft.

Maybe I am. Is this how it happens?

My first concussion came 30 years ago on Thanksgiving when I dove into a tree stump trying to catch a frisbee. I'm boycotting Thanksgiving activities away from the table and couch from now on.

Other than that the food was great! How was your Thanksgiving?

KE

[ November 24, 2006, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because you recognized a power greater than yourself doesn't mean you have to be all mushy and call it "God" KE. [Smile] Don't worry, it doesn't mean you're going soft either.

I am glad that the family is all right and that you are probably ok. Did you get the head checked? Concussions unfortunately aren't one of those injuries that do less and less damage as you keep getting them. How's the boys leg?

On a major tangent...given that both of us have had similar problems with rage and violence and that I now know this played a part in those problems in my case...

TBI

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were lucky, and sand is treacherous! Any bicyclist in the north knows that! We had a stretch of Route 9 (Bos-Alb) with sand pockets in it year after year because of the increased use of sand to avoid 'chemicalization' of the environment. They're probably still there. Well, Mr 17 has learnt a valuable lesson; you are worth more alive than dead I presume ... [Big Grin] . Always lie to your family about how much life insurance you carry [Wink] .
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE --

Don't you know that Thanksgiving day is intended for activities no more strenuous than watching other people get concussions?

Glad everyone's OK!

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe I am. Is this how it happens?
Faith as a product of head injury, you mean?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also glad you are fine, KnightEnder.
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith is the accumulation of evidence, the aggregation of which can't be explained by random chance. Notice that I didn't specify faith in what.

I'm glad you're alive and well, KE.

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, John, I'm glad you and your sons are okay. Lucky you used the seatbelts when you did. I wonder what it was that caused you to decide to use em?

Anyway, happy that you aren't hurt beyond the regular concussion/hand injury. It doesnt' seem to be bad enough to keep you from typing, at least. (Though I could easiyl be wrong!)

As for the part about God, well, hmm. If God is there, the way He would work in this world is in such ways: subtly, in such a way that you don't know for sure if He did anything at all. (I so totally stole that from Futurama.)

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you snapped your wrist? Broken and all? (We ain't worried about your *head*, you chrome-dome sumbitch [Wink] )

"Faith as a product of head injury, you mean?"

Much preferable to the opposite: head injury caused by faith. You know, like taking way too seriously those prayers before football games [Wink]

[ November 25, 2006, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for the part about God, well, hmm. If God is there, the way He would work in this world is in such ways: subtly, in such a way that you don't know for sure if He did anything at all."

Well, as the Ultimate SuperHero, God would have the Ultimate Secret Identity, yes?

'Um. God?'

'Yes?'

'Um, you're supposed to just change IN a phone booth, not INTO one.'

'Right.'

[ November 25, 2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Head injury caused by faith...

I wonder if there's a market for Nerf Korans?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Bible thumping made safe at last...
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you's ok, J.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering how it started (glad you're okay, KE. [Smile] ), this thread has become very funny.
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to here you and your kids are alright. It's great that you trusted your intuition....

Now we know that you have much to be thankful for this holiday weekend!!

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you and yours are okay, KE. Much to be thankful for, no?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, you really need to get over this turkey envy on Thanksgiving. [Wink]

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE,
I am glad you and your family are well.

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody.

Stacy says this is Myers Luck. "It's never; Hey! You won a million dollars! It's; Hey! There was a major accident and nobody died!"

I'll take it.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page