Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Soldiers turned away from bar after funeral in England...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soldiers turned away from bar after funeral in England...
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A spokesman for Walkabout said: "As a responsible bar operator, we have a strict policy of refusing entry to anyone believed to be aggressive.
I wonder if they turn away members if the local rugby team.... [Eek!]
www.thisislondon.co.uk

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
winkey?

Do you see your computer as a indignation fix provider? Of all these little back-page stories you post...have any been something positive?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the article:

"A spokesman for Walkabout said: "As a responsible bar operator, we have a strict policy of refusing entry to anyone believed to be aggressive.

"Furthermore, Walkabout in Liverpool has a strict policy of refusing entry to anyone in uniform due to previous issues with uniformed customers. These policies are designed solely to increase the safety and comfort of all our customers."

Maybe the operator has a problem with jarheads tearing the joint apart. Rugby fans generally save their aggression for those giant open-air beer gardens known as stadia.

Imagine someone serving grog for a living making non-sentimental rational decisions about whom it is wise to purposely inebriate and whom it isn't, even if this unsentimentality applies to uniformed personnel.

Maybe it's an image problem. Maybe it's a safety issue. Maybe it's both. Maybe we should ask the local day care centers how they feel about spontaneous visits from clerics? [Wink]

Having broken his own vow of silence to his satisfaction, kenmeer resumes merely humming along rather than singing aloud...

[ November 25, 2006, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Imagine someone serving grog for a living making non-sentimental rational decisions about whom it is wise to purposely inebriate ..." [Big Grin]

Oz, non-words in English are nonhyphenated [Mad] , except for non-word, singular or plural [Big Grin] .

Oy'm 'ere to get yous drunk again,
but no drunks in my pub, on no!
Drink yahr whiskey, drink your gin,
But get drunk here -- and out you go!

A wee bit o'pocrisy!

It's like the smoking ban on the Plymouth tobacconist. You can't smoke in the store until after 5 PM because nonsmokers in the tobacco store might be offended [Big Grin] !

What bugs me is that a bar can be sued for giving some guy too much to drink after which he crashes into a crowd killing 12 and wounding 24. The guy just loses his license but the bar picks up the tabs. It's utterly stupid.

For years drunks ruled Massachusetts and protected their own. It's like the old days, to get off a serious offense one pleaded drunk and disorderly. Oh! says the judge. Thirty days! Next drunk ...!

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
winkey?

Do you see your computer as a indignation fix provider? Of all these little back-page stories you post...have any been something positive?

Jesse, Just knowing that you think so highly of me, makes me blush...
Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] Winkey, you're tough!!
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to be a bit of a trend in the UK.
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just very unfortunate. It's as wrong as the bad treatment a lot of vets got coming back from Vietnam. It's not the GI's fault. I bet Harrods doesn't ban face-recognized cabinet members, who really should be pissing off those upset about the war.

But now I see the reason is even sillier. The British are SUCH wankers.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wearing a uniform doesn't grant one override of that ancient principle:

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE.

Likewise, returning home from foreign war and donning civilian clothes doesn't mean folks will respect you for being psychologically maimed by what you experienced.

What Bruce Springswteen howled so movingly:

"Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

was true of WWI and WWII vets, but those buggers got to return to economies that were, except for a brief hiccup as the accelerator pushed downward, thriving and growing. WWI vets stepped into the Jazz Age. WWII vets stepped into the post-war boom.

Viet Nam vets got the 70s and recession. GWI vets got 1000 points of light. Iraq war vets? We shall see.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Kipling

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page