Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Expanding The Congressional Work Week... good or bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Expanding The Congressional Work Week... good or bad?
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Majority Leader Steny Hoyer is saying that first votes will be held Monday afternoon, and the final votes held Friday afternoon.

Do you think that this is a good thing?

I personally think that they should spend more time in their States working on State issues.

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't want them to lose sleep [Frown]
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I personally think that they should spend more time in their States working on State issues.
Isn't that more the purview of the state legislatures? Whereas the Congress represents the will of their constituents to the Federal government? Very, very efficiently, in this case? [Big Grin]

edit for spelling

[ December 10, 2006, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Funean ]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just waiting for them to give themselves a raise if they keep on doing all this hard, hard work. They really deserve a raise for working all week from Monday to Friday.

Those poor guys, what troopers.

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The session that just adjourned will be called a "do nothing" Congress, for good reason, but I think a better name would be "fat asses". Not only did they not pass bills to actually fund the federal budget, the Goppers didn't pass most of their own major legislative objectives, and they were in the majority in both houses. They didn't do much Executive branch oversight and they didn't even pass any of their vanity legislation. Anybody have a clue what they accomplished? Maybe if they had worked harder...so maybe we dodged a bullet?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they're probably positioning themselves in contrast to the Great Vacationer, George Bush? No, that's too cynical even for me.

How about, they need more time on Tuesday through Thursday to accomodate all those meetings with lobbyists, who must be dumping old ties and establishing new ones?

Dang it, there I go again. [Wink]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a shorter work week might give Pelosi's pick for House intel chair a bit more time to study up on global terrorist organizations.
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't a longer work week just result in more laws? Since only 10% of currently passed laws are good laws, we'd end up with more bad laws. No, I think they should put themselves on permanent vacation. We can then use the voting process to give deserving individuals a well earned rest.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
* Michelle bites own tongue in effort to hold back rant speech filled with vile language!*

Before the elections, they were only working two days a week. Something about not getting along?

Assigned to committees, never attending meetings.

Holding meetings in the dead of night, or playing *hide-and-seek* so the other team couldn't hear what was going on. Calling the capitol police on each other to settle thier disputes.

In September they voted down the minium wage increase, and a week later, (or two weeks later) gave themselves a raise?

No, this law would be stupid. It implies they are showing up for thier required hours and earning thier pay now. I don't see it. [Frown]

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Keeping us up here eats away at families," said Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), who typically flies home on Thursdays and returns to Washington on Tuesdays. "Marriages suffer. The Democrats could care less about families -- that's what this says."
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

My good is your bad. According to the Republican, the only reason the Democrat rushed into traffic to save the child from being hit by the truck was to get his face on TV. It was a cynical trick, using a child, no less! It proves that Democrats don't care about children, and they will disrupt the free flow of commerce when it suits their political needs.

Why do some people want to get us out of Iraq: so the terrorists can win. Why do they hate America?

KnightEnder
unregistered

Dave, you mean disrupt the free flow of traffic, right? [Smile]

I agree with Winkey. How are they going to stay in tune with their constituents if they are never in the states they represent?

KE

DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[off topic]bump[/off topic]
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
Dave, you mean disrupt the free flow of traffic, right?
No, it was a truck! [Smile]
quote:
I agree with Winkey. How are they going to stay in tune with their constituents if they are never in the states they represent?
Does the idea of working Mon-Fri mean they would be "never in" their state?

[ December 14, 2006, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: DaveS ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page