Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Vegetarians are more intelligent, says study... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vegetarians are more intelligent, says study...
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A study of thousands of men and women revealed that those who stick to a vegetarian diet have IQs that are around five points higher than those who regularly eat meat.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news

Interesting...

So how many of you are going to give up eating meat to become smarter?

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its probably the other way around: more intellegent people (or rather, people who score better on intellegence tests) are more likely to choose to become vegetarians. Of course, as I often point out, correlation does not prove causation.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. Adam beat me to it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how many of you are going to demonstrate that you are smarter by giving up meat?

[Wink]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? And bring the average down!! [Wink]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a vegetarian, mainly because I hate plants.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshbarrow
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for joshbarrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm a vegetarian, and I have all my grades above a B. My whole family is vegetarian, and their all doctors.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They're," I think you mean.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's more likely that vegetarianism and higher IQ are caused by some other factor like social class. For example, people born into middle class or better tend to perform well on IQ tests and are also more likely to choose vegetarianism as an alternative lifestyle.

The report also notes that vegans score as much below the average as vegetarians score above. So if we really wanted to abuse causality, we could conclude that milk products enhance brain power, but meat products partly cancel the effect.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

On full reading of the article:

The IQ tests were taken when the subject was 10. Then, when they were thirty, they examined what proportion of the population was vegetarian, vegan, no red meat, or normal.

vegetarian, no red meat: 105 IQ
normal: 100 IQ (I think this is the average.)
vegan: 95 IQ

I'll finish with a comment posted after the article:

"It is really incredible to me that someone would try to suggest that becoming a vegetarian at some point in adulthood would somehow contribute to one's score on an IQ test taken as a child.

- Matt, USA"

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The report also notes that vegans score as much below the average as vegetarians score above. So if we really wanted to abuse causality, we could conclude that milk products enhance brain power, but meat products partly cancel the effect.
That doesn't surprise me. Vegans are mush-heads whose brains have atrophied due to lack of protein.

I have no problem with vegetarianism, since vegetarian chicks can still eat all of my delicious desserts. But I would never date a vegan. Food and eating are important to my lifestyle; how could I date someone who eats mush for breakfast lunch and dinner?

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't actually say that the vegetarians ARE more intelligent, all it is saying is that the vegetarians WERE more intelligent 20 years ago.

"the results showed those who were brainiest as children were more likely to have become vegetarian as adults"

The study hasn't ruled out the possibility that the Vegans have the highest IQs now.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

One could put it down to the leisure potential. For the most part, only middle class and upper class folks have the time and money to indulge in such a lifestyle. What is the IQ of the upper middle class and upper class compared to the population?

My friends indulge their child in such a fashion, and they are wealthy. A poor single mom has little time for such "lifestyle choices".

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I would be considered an anti-vegitarian. I am more likely to load up on the meats and starches than on the vegetables if I just follow my natural inclination. I do try to override this and order salads and sides of vegetables instead of potatoes or rice when at restaurants, but I often find myself not quite getting around to cooking the veggies when I cook diner at home.

As to the actual topic of this thread I will echo something said by more than one poster before me in one form or another. Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

So if you only eat vegetarians, do you get a bigger brain boost?
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless you end up with Creutzfeldt-Jakob in which case - no [Wink]

Seriously, vegan's are probably pretty good eating: there's a real problem with accumulated toxins once you start eating carnivores, and the meat will be a lot less gamey. Plus, there's probably a lower chance of acquiring CJV if you stick to vegans.

"vegans aren't food - vegans are what food eats"

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My normal diet is about half vegetarian, half meat which I guess would qualify me as a (wait for it)... halfwit?
Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have no problem with vegetarianism, since vegetarian chicks can still eat all of my delicious desserts."

You dog [Wink]

I think more intelligent people are actually capable of A.) spending time thinking about it and B.) following through with their decisions.

(PS, isn't an IQ of 105 low?)

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, TommySama, it's not. It's higher than more than 50% of the population is.

100 is average, pure average. So, 105 is above average.

Last time I checked, mine was somewhere near 150-ish. I wonde,r what're the IQs of the people on this board, anyway?

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
146, back in 7th grade.

I recall getting my hands on a copy of the IQ scores for all the kids in the gifted program at my school. I also recall the school royally freaking out when they found out. I was grilled multiple times about who gave it to me. I honestly just found it sitting on a table in office - the table where kids wait and read Scholastic magazine while waiting to talk to a counselor or whatever.

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh - so you think they're still tracking you then, MattP [Smile]

[ December 15, 2006, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: DonaldD ]

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No, TommySama, it's not. It's higher than more than 50% of the population is. "

Oh, someone told me 120 was average and that stuck. I've never taken an IQ test so I have no idea what mine is :-/.

I took an internet one and got 140 [Smile]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

Mine is, like, a bazillion or something
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps. I do have half a cow in my garage freezer.

I wonder what the IQ trend line looks like as people age.

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 869

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
142 back in jr high. I am an omnivore.
Posts: 385 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

I had a 156 back in high school.

I wouldn't be surprised if ornery had an average of 120 or higher.

Does anyone know off-hand what one standard deviation is equal to on the IQ scale?

ngthagg

Tom_paines_ghost
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for Tom_paines_ghost   Email Tom_paines_ghost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC 15 points on the standard test
Posts: 555 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice that someone started a thread that gives people an excuse to brag about their IQs. [Wink]
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never found out what my IQ was. Seems to me I took one of those internet ones and got like 75...
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son in law is a vegan and he is a braniac.

He also eats a lot of soy and seems to have no priblem siring children. [Eek!]

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some challenging IQ tests - not the ones meant to stroke your ego - instead most of you will have your 'iq ego' crushed to a bloody pulp [Smile]

http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/

http://paulcooijmans.lunarpages.com/p/gliaweb/tests/

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These cost money. Darn you!

And I'd like to take, not one specifically designed to be anything but accurate. That's what I'd like to see, honestly.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well part of pauls cost money to take, but most of them only cost just to score them.

http://www.chez.com/remuemeninges/916.htm
http://www.lygeros.org/0139-gtest.html
http://paulcooijmans.lunarpages.com/p/gliaweb/tests/slse.html
http://paulcooijmans.lunarpages.com/p/gliaweb/tests/slse2.html
http://paulcooijmans.lunarpages.com/p/gliaweb/tests/slse_sp/
http://www.etienne.nu/isis/isisat.htm
http://www.etienne.nu/cfnse/
http://foritensum.zzlevo.net/
http://paulcooijmans.lunarpages.com/p/gliaweb/tests/zaragon.html

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a life-long meat and dairy consumer. Earlier this year, I tried a raw-diet, with no wheat or dairy.

The effects I notice were as follow;

white-coating on tongue disappeared in three days
Skin was softer one-week
Stomach bloating went away

The most bizarre amazing observation was feeling nutrients being directed in my body. About three weeks into the diet, I started to feel nutrients crossing the blood-brain barrier, it was a pleasant gentle tingling, barely noticeable. It was simply amazing.

Did the diet improve my brain-functions?

I slipped into a coma, after a high-fever years ago, and my brain has had a habit of *jumping the track* ever since. I did see an improvement on my ability to focus.

I have to agree with someone earlier in this thread, though, it is an expensive diet, one I was unable to maintain, being a single-mom with two kids in college, and a highschooler who needs braces.

I was wondering where do you get your protein from, if you do want to cut back the soy? Nuts? Fish? What else?

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanHeraclitean
Member # 3120

- posted      Profile for PanHeraclitean   Email PanHeraclitean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't gotten a chance to read through the thread. Has anyone mentioned eating for your blood type. I think that generally our bodies show that we are indeed omnivorise. There are, as with all things, no definite way of saying what is the best diet for any specific person. We can only mix and match to find what works best individually.

I also think that there are somethings that man is not intended to eat that are not optimal for the body that we can build a tolerance to. Some are not able to build such tolerances though.

I personally believe that breeding is better than genetic engineering. I believe that organic is better than conventional. I believe no preservative are best. This would drasticly cut down on my food supply I feel most comfortable eating. This doesn't mean I always feel the need to eat that way.

Posts: 1259 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that book - try to follow it a bit on occasion, but too many things I like in there.

My wife thinks it works.

I'm O+, so the "Neanderthal" system - [Cool]
Means meat, meat, and more meat and forget the starches and all the junk. I do feel best on meat and veggies... but I do like the pasta and beans, too, which are supposed to be a no-no, but manage to eat those sparingly most of the time.

Beano is an amazing product!

I have stopped eating grains for breakfast (no cereal, oatmeal, etc) and I feel a lot lighter and, um, less likely to explode through out the day. don't eat much bread, but it doesn't bother me when I do...

Like I said, interesting book.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle,
If you're interested there's a cookbook called "American Wholefoods Cuisine" by Nikki and David Goldbeck. It's vegetarian and each recipe tells you whether it serves as a major protein or minor protein, and suggests combinations of dishes to make complete proteins.

I personally am not a vegetarian; but we have tried to cut down on our meat consumption for health and financial reasons, so it's been helpful for me to make the vegetarian recipes and just add a little meat.

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have no problem with vegetarianism, since vegetarian chicks can still eat all of my delicious desserts."

So Vegans won't swallow your delicious desserts?

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanHeraclitean
Member # 3120

- posted      Profile for PanHeraclitean   Email PanHeraclitean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jm0397, I'm O+ too.
Posts: 1259 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the name of the book dealing with diet and bloodtype?
Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page