Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Tyson arrested for drugs, general trend of celebrity meltdowns continues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tyson arrested for drugs, general trend of celebrity meltdowns continues
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=81453

I don't really care about Tyson or expect his situation to garner much discussion - what I think is of some interest is the following question:

How much does media attention to celebrity screwups contribute to continued celebrity screwups?

Mike Tyson was an amazing athlete with a lot of money. He went to jail for rape, and he's screwed up time after time since then. Would he have had a better chance to put his life together if not for the media scrutiny of his rape trial and everything else he's been up to? Speaking for myself, if I was continually publicly ridiculed I could easily be more prone to decide it wasn't worth trying to be a decent person.

Is there any chance that just leaving people alone might help them work out their s*** and quit messing up?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a much more simple question...why do all those celebrities with all that money persist in driving themselves around for their nights out on the town?

Can't they spring for $500 or whatever to have a chauffeur for the evening?

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like most of those celebrities are in mountains of debt. Maybe they paid for too many chauffeurs in the past.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpshin
Member # 3175

- posted      Profile for sharpshin   Email sharpshin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know only one person who has really brushed shoulders a good many major and minor celebrities, been friends with some of the ones who went bigtime before they did go bigtime, and is still friends with not a few who make a very good living at acting, sports, music or comedy but never became megastars like Tyson. None of this will come as any great revelation, but she does know whereof she speaks.

She says that this kind of fame simply changes people in ways that are almost impossible to reverse unless those changes are fought tooth and nail from the start. Everybody wants a piece of you. Everybody wants to be part of your life. Eventually you excise from your life anyone who is not in the same situation, except for people who have jobs maintaining your celebrity or theirs. Public ridicule doesn't matter. You figure you will be covered no matter how outrageously you behave.

In short, certain celebrities-- the fact that Tyson happens to be an athlete instead of an actor or artist or musician or comedian is of relatively little importance-- just cannot handle the pressure.

I doubt that the bad publicity over Tyson's previous rape case has any more to do with his subsequent troubles than the bad publicity over Robert Downey Jr's intial problems with drug use have to do with Downey's repeated offenses since.

[ December 30, 2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: sharpshin ]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Everybody wants a piece of you. Everybody wants to be part of your life."

So it's not just the attention to the f-ups, but the whole nature of celebrity and not having a normal life...hmm...makes sense to me.

I decided to read the wikipedia article on Tyson and it indicates he had a pretty troubled life even before he got famous, so I'm sure that didn't help.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpshin
Member # 3175

- posted      Profile for sharpshin   Email sharpshin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was the last time anyone saw Harrison Ford in the news except for film promotion, as he is now with a new Indy movie in the works? Like, never. He zealously guards his privacy and avoids any other publicity like plague.

The combination of public and press rules the lives of celebrities who don't do the same. It loves to see the rise of a star, but loves to see the fall of a star even more, and grants only so many chances for the big comeback. Mike Tyson got clobbered by his troubled childhood, and his celebrity, more than by any opponent in the ring.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page