Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » New baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New baby
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, my daughter Deidre was born. Baby and mom are both doing great. [Smile]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, LoJ! Hope you don't like sleep too much. [Wink]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

Either your hospital has Internet access, or your HMO rushed you home. [Smile]

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. The hospital has internet access. My pain disorder got me accustomed to 4-5 hours of sleep a night so I have less adjusting to do than the average guy. [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! Don't hurt it!

[ January 03, 2007, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Starkiller
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Lady Starkiller   Email Lady Starkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, congratulations! And Deidre's a beautiful name.
Posts: 434 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, congratulations!! Just yesterday I was wondering about when she was due.

*cough*

pictures...

*cough*

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTG Mrs. LoJ!!!

Oh, and you too of course [Wink]

Hurry up and show Fun some pictures before she needs an inhaler [Razz]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
****wheeeeeze****

Hurry! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

I have pictures, but where is a good place to host them online?
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Congratulations! (They are tougher than you think. So, if you drop her on her head a couple of times don't freak out. [Wink] )

KE

TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Congratulations! (They are tougher than you think. So, if you drop her on her head a couple of times don't freak out. )"

[Eek!] Thats what my parents did and I got brain damage [Frown]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

LoJ, congrats to you and your wife. FWIW, I recommend against trying to balance her on your lap while posting in the interminable wee hours.

[ January 07, 2007, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: DaveS ]

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mazal Tov. :-)
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations....

May God's richest blessings chase her down and overtake her.

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dah!!
I wanted to be the first one to give congrats in an exotic language!

Mazal Tov LoJ!

(You know, "Mazal Tov" in hebrew is used differently then the way "good luck" is used in english, i suddenly ponder why is there such a big difference)

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

[Eek!] Thats what my parents did and I got brain damage [Crying]

Never a true word spoken out of you, TommyArrogance

scouser1
unregistered

By the way, congratulations on the new arrival, and a very strong name too, English version of the Irish Deirdre, meaning "young girl". Well according to 20000names.com it is :-)

[ January 08, 2007, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! I have never known such joy as since my sons were born.

My best advice is to read all the books on infant care but take them all with a grain of salt. There is no one right way.

And listen to your instincts. My wife has been amazing at feeling something was wrong and being right.

Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yaww (yet another well wisher)

Congrats [Smile] My sister had her baby the week before Christmas. (I now have 6 nieces and 2 nephews).

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! Happy happy!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! [Smile] (BTW who's got the next baby? My wife's expecting any day now.)
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I second what Godot said.

And FWIW the only way I've found to get kids to mind you and grow up to be 'good' people is to make them love you so much they don't want to disappoint you. Sappy, but it works. Worked for my parents and has worked for me, so far.

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
make them love you so much they don't want to disappoint you
I'd really like to know how to do this.

Congrats LOJ if I didn't already say so. I've got my third on the way and so I really feel for you, in any way you want to interpret that, including a good way. [Smile]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations... May God's richest blessings chase you and your precious baby down, and overtake you.
Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

My sister is due in march... will be my first neice to go with the nephew I already have. I'm starting to get looks that say "when the heck are you going to increase the family size?"

Totally in love with my girlfriend, but babies might be a few years off [Smile]

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! Yay babies!
Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flickr (www.flickr.com) is a good place to host pictures. It's free for a limited amount of space (which is MORE than enough for some baby pics to share) and it pretty much never goes down. All you need is a yahoo id.

Pictures!!

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my update on the baby scene...

Levi born Jan 20th, he's a big loud 8 lbs. 14 oz. and 21-1/2 inches. The big sister (2-1/2 years) is still adjusting to the change, but seems to like him so far, aside from reduced attention. Any tips on helping her handle that? thanks

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Congratulations Ben!

My boys are just a few years apart and what we did was make Jake (the younger one) John's (the older one) responsibility. At least in his mind. Emphasize that he is "her" little brother. Let her know now she will always have a friend and somebody to play with, be on her side, etc. Works well until they are teenagers. (They still get along but my oldest 17 is starting to go off on his own) My sister was one year and 11 days younger than me and the same thing happened, we drifted apart as teenagers. But we came back together as adults and are close again.

Good luck! I half envy you.

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben, I agree with KnightEnder...tell the big sister what a great big sister she is, and praise the heck out of her every time she does something nice to/for the little one. It's important to let her be around and touch the baby unless there's a particular health concern that precludes it. The more she's part of the experience with the little one the better.

When we had our 2nd we tried this and it seemed to work just fine. The older one didn't get too jealous since he took pride in being the big brother and in helping us to take care of the little one.

I've also heard, and I think this helped us as well, that even if you can only do it for a short time each day, spend time 1 on 1 (or 2 on 1, if the little one's asleep or whatever) with the big sister. If she gets some undivided attention on a regular basis, even if it's only a little, it'll help when she can't get as much.

[ January 22, 2007, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

Thanks for the tips. I'm 2nd of 6 kids, so you'd think I'd have a handle on dealing with siblings, but the first 3 of us were almost within a year of each other, so we didn't really have any experience with relatively undivided attention at a point where my older brother or I could tell the difference.
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

Thanks everyone. Congratulations, Ben.

Thanks, SimplyBiological for suggesting flickr. I'd forgotten I'd made an account on that a long time ago.

Photos

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page