Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » God or Mental Illness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: God or Mental Illness?
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who thinks he's destined to lead the Army of God in his lifetime and so he "prepares" himself by exercising, keeping fit, working on his swordplay, etc. He's very charming and a good communicator and he actually has some people half-believing him.

Personally, I know he has a mental illness.

I remember one Christmas when I was living in the middle of nowhere at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. He called me at 11 at night. He was in a small town in the pass from Alberta to BC and needed me to pick him up. So I started the old sh*tbox I was driving at the time and drove through a blizzard for an hour to pick him up.

He was in bad shape.

He was wearing a home-made poncho cinched with a length of rope for his jacket and he had haunted eyes. He kept looking over his shoulder, saying he was being pursued by demons.

I took him home and fed him and tried to "normalize" things for him by chatting about the weather and books I'd been reading, etc.

After about a week he was feeling better, and a day later he was gone with my can of emergency money and some of my clothes.

That was the last I saw of him for a good five years.

In that time he had ended up in a psych ward, and was out again on his own recognizance.

But he still believes in his marshal destiny. Only now he's proceeding sans medication, and sans apparent craziness, and he's building a following.

This is just one snippet from the many, many people I've known who believe god talks to them, or has a mission for them.

So, what's the difference?

Why do people believe in prophets, but spurn the guy who claims to know God's will?

Is it God or just Crazy?

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why do people believe in prophets, but spurn the guy who claims to know God's will?
Some people are more charismatic than others.
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much Madness is divinest Sense--
To a discerning Eye--
Much Sense --the starkest Madness--
'Tis the Majority
In this, as All, prevail--
Assent--and you are sane--
Demur--you're straightway dangerous--
And handled with a Chain--

---Emily Dickinson (#435)

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, can we safely say that all claims of God communicating with man is simply...misfiring neurons?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanHeraclitean
Member # 3120

- posted      Profile for PanHeraclitean   Email PanHeraclitean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by safely?
Posts: 1259 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by misfiring?
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by "is"?

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, can we safely say that all claims of God communicating with man is simply...misfiring neurons?
No, there is a difference. It's always madness unless God is actually communicating with the person.

[Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who says that God can't communicate with nut-jobs? [Smile]

As George Bernard Shaw says in Saint Joan, the rational way to deal with this is simply to ask if the course of action the person is recommending a logical course of action. Simply defer the question of whether God is really talking to someone or not. That's not a falsifiable question, so leave it alone. Deal with him according to whether his actions seem rational or dangerous.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but Pete, if the action is logical, it wouldn't matter if it came from God or not. Reason alone could derive it. We only need God to deal with the a-rational, or the meta-rational.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A world in which all God-influenced actions appear rational is a world in which God is unnecessary.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Bernard Shaw was an atheist. If you don't believe in God, then that's the rational way to deal with religious people.

The only rational reason I could envision to focus on someone's religious beliefs to determine whether that person was rational, would be if you believed in God, and thought that God was irrational.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Madness moves in mysterious ways
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadian:

Well I dunno about all claims of direct communication with God. Then again, I can't think of many documented cases of people who are demonstrably sane making that claim [Smile]
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't believe in Hippie Jesus, Philosopher Jesus or Savior Jesus. I believe in Schizophrenic Jesus. What I have read about his speeches and his behavior seems to me very much in keeping with accounts of other schizophrenics. But he launched a set of memes that, two millennia later, are only gaining strength. I'm living in a country, the most powerful in the world, whose culture is increasingly founded on mental illness.
link (just someone's personal Web page, nobody you need to take seriously)
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If God is talking perhaps s/he can only do so by manipulating the neurons in your brain?

What looks to medical science as a chemical imbalance or rogue neurons is simply God's voice physically manifested.

But we're still stuck. Can't prove that either way.

On that note, there is a growing body of folks who think something big is going down pretty soon. The Mayan calendar has an end date of Dec 21, 2012.

Some computer simulations and philosophers have identified roughly the same date as a "zero point".

If something big happens - Armageddon, shift to higher consciousness, the rapture... whatever you chose to call it, if that is in fact coming, and many folks feel it is, then it stands to reason there will be those who embrace it and those who oppose/fight/reject it.

If you have opposing sides, it stands to reason there will be a war of some sort. If there's a war of some sort, it stands to reason some folks might be preparing themselves for it. Some might even think their realizations and ideas come from a higher power and it's their duty to prepare.

To an unbeliever, the true believers will always appear mentally ill for if the unbeliever understood and accepted the believer’s faith, then they themselves would be a believer.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Interesting anaylsis, jm--but I don't believe it. [Wink]
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We create what we fear, what will the tipping point be?
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wonder why the creator of the universe can't come up with a more effective communication system. Like maybe a monthly newsletter with a catchy title like 'The Burning Bush'.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NS:
Like maybe a monthly newsletter with a catchy title like 'The Burning Bush'.

Then God would be referred to as "the liberal media"…
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Jm, people have believed that "something big" was coming in every century.

In the 19th century many believed the same thing, that something "big" was coming soon, like the rapture or whatever. There's a whole bunch of stories about that. And that's only one century.

If all the previous predictions of "something big" like the rapture coming were wrong, why do we suppose they will be right this time?

Boy who cried wolf thing. Then again, maybe we'll lose our sheep one of these days...

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Chatting with god, the other night...he said you're all nuts!
MattP
Member # 2763

I said no such thing.
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm god, Matt. You say what I tell you to! [Big Grin]

Emily Dickinson is right.

Even those who presume that God spoke to those who compiled the Jewish testament are mad; it's bicameralism. Worse, it's second-hand bicameralism! That means that it's not only madness but it's vulgar.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OM - of course. In every era in recorded history there have been people and groups of people thinking "the big one" is coming soon.

I was just pointing out that someone who says they are a warrior for God and gathering an Army for the coming storm might not be 100% delusional - they might simply have bought into the latest doomsday scenario and is taking logical steps to take care of themselves.

Based on my "neo-pagan" views, I speak to and hear from God regularly. If God is an intelligence and force that eminates from all intelligence, life, and all things, then I am God.
You are God.
We are God.

To look deep within yourslef is to commune with God. To meditate on a problem and get to an answer or clairity is to talk to and receive direction from God.

Now, before you say HEY, that sounds silly...

Just think, to someone who's never heard of Christianity, how silly is it to worship a man nailed to a cross and practice symbolic canabalism of him? [Razz]

FWIW, I was raised Lutheran and still consider myself, at base, Christian... I look at it as a Christian-plus these days. Hey, if people can be a hyphanated American, why not a hyphanated Christian?

Oh, the blasphemy!

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention Mayans, since they've recently discovered that building all those temples to their "Gods" is what caused their demise.

(They found a jillian temples in the Rain Forest using satelite imagery. The limestone in the buildings caused the plants growing over them to glow a different color than the surrounding forest.)

KE

[ January 11, 2007, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Oh?

Link me, please!

EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that a transcript is available, however, it was this weeks Nova ScienceNOW. I don't know about Nevada, but I believe it will play again this Saturday here in Arizona.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized that, even though the transcript is not available on-line, the video is. You'll find it here , Pete.
Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is it God or just Crazy?
Plenty of otherwise mentally healthy religious people talk to god.

The one who get a no-kidding direct answer are probably crazy [Smile]

On a side note, this guy's story really reminds me of Daniel Johnston. Ever heard of him? A really good documentary was just released about his life.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

I'm not sure about this issue, to be honest. If I was talking to my friend Harvey, people would say I was nuts. If I say, no...not Harvey...uh, God...yeah, I'm talking to God, suddenly I'm sane again.
canadian
Member # 1809

Thanks for the link. Now I'm going to have to find a few hours to spare.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
Ah, but Pete, if the action is logical, it wouldn't matter if it came from God or not. Reason alone could derive it. We only need God to deal with the a-rational, or the meta-rational.

That's right. I forgot that all people are innately reasonable at all times and have access to all the facts in the universe.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what your reply is meant to argue, Pete. The point here is that if people obey the commands of God because they're "logical," then they might as well do the "logical" thing in the first place.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

Mayan demise? I thought it was because SSM and their proactive war of aggression on the dreaded Toltec-o-fascists?

Very cool stuff on that Nova link – thanks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page