Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Bill Richardson

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill Richardson
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite politicians is Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico. He served for 7 terms as a Congressman on the foreign relations committee, visiting Nicaragua, Cuba, Guatemala, India, North Korea, Peru, Sudan, Bangladesh, and Nigeria. He then served as Ambassador to the United Nations and Secretary of Energy, and recently won his second term as Governor of New Mexico.

Governor Richardson has tremendous experience in a staggeringly wide range of areas. He is articulate, moderate, and pragmatic. His experience and personal qualities, in my estimation, make him the most attractive candidate for the presidency to have been produced by either party.

Despite the aforementioned, and the fact that he would be the first Hispanic president, his candidacy has garnered very little attention compared to those of relative lightweights: a first-term senator named Obama and a second-term senator and former first lady named Clinton. This unfortunate reality is a testament to the political atmosphere in which we find ourselves.

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I blame MSM. I know who he is, but haven't heard anything about his campaign. All I heard on FOX News was that he was undermining President Bush's foreign policy by entertaining enemy heads of state (Syria? I think.)

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

I agree that he's underrated and generally ignored. He is a journeyman pol, not an orator, who doesn't attract cameras or scandals. He deserves a good hard look from the potential voters, but it is hard to identify what national issues he covets and where he stands on them. Basically, he is a slightly left of Clinton centrist. I like him, but I don't think he will be able to hold the attention that he gets.
The Pixiest
Member # 869

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like he likes to travel the world on the taxpayer's dime.

I wanna take a "Fact Findng" mission to Hawai'i...

Posts: 385 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, he really must have enjoyed seeing the sights of the underdeveloped world. Sudan's lovely this time of year.
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 869

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he was taking in a safari.

I just don't think "Has traveled a lot on taxpayer money" is a ringing endorcement.

Posts: 385 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

When he spends that travel time meeting with foreign heads of state negotiating releases of American prisoners and discussing energy policy? I'd much prefer someone with that kind of experience to someone without it.
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pix,

You might actually look to see what he did on these trips before dismissing him out of hand like that. For example, he negotiated the release of two Americans held by Iraq in 1995. He has served in numerous capacities, including working for the State Department and serving as a staff member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committiee. He was a Congressman for 14 years. He served as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, and as U.S. Secretary of Energy. On top of all of that he has been Governor of New Mexico since January 2003. I don't know if I will want to see him as the Democratic candidate or not yet since I still have more research to do, but to simply dismiss him without taking a serious look at his service and experience is wrong. Take a closer look, maybe you will still dismiss him, but then again maybe you will find a worthy candidate.

[ January 22, 2007, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Dave at Work ]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moodi
Member # 3020

- posted      Profile for moodi   Email moodi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Maybe he was taking in a safari.

I just don't think "Has traveled a lot on taxpayer money" is a ringing endorcement.

At least he might be more apt at remembering the names of foreign heads of states.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't sound so bad to me.

I've been to Germany, Bosnia, Croatia, Italy, Iceland, Russia, Finland, Hungary, Korea, and quite a few places in the US on "taxpayer money".

I don't mind the travel and meetings, but doing so is walking a fine line between helping and hindering the federal government with foreign relations.

Kind of like the idea I can bad mouth my brother in my house, but shouldn't go over to the neighbors and do the same.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 869

Dave: Then Pal should have said he had done all that. Not that he'd BEEN to those places. Going to those places means absolutely nothing.
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Despite the aforementioned, and the fact that he would be the first Hispanic president, his candidacy has garnered very little attention compared to those of relative lightweights: a first-term senator named Obama and a second-term senator and former first lady named Clinton. This unfortunate reality is a testament to the political atmosphere in which we find ourselves.

I emphatically agree.
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's much more a testament to the nature of for-profit media.

Richardson hasn't gotten his name in the press enough for people to tune in on a sunday morning to hear what he's saying.

Nobody loves him, no body hates him, (outside of NM) and so no one is going to sit through a pop-tarts ad to hear what comes out of his mouth.

Honestly, I know squat about the guy and I have politically aware family in NM.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariner
Member # 1618

- posted      Profile for Mariner   Email Mariner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all fairness, didn't he just declare his candidacy this week? It's hard to build up a huge media representation in just a two day stretch y'know.

Reading some of his positions and statements (I knew virtually nothing about him beforehand), I can't really say he's my favorite politician ever, but he's certainly better than the rest of the Democrat crowd at the moment.

Posts: 538 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I have family in NM too Jesse. But they are hillbillies.

Paladine, what about the accusation made by Fox News about his hosting hostile foreign leaders in defiance of the current administration. (You know how much I love the current administration, but I agree with JM; Americans support each other.)

KE

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pixiest said:
quote:
Dave: Then Pal should have said he had done all that. Not that he'd BEEN to those places. Going to those places means absolutely nothing.
In all honesty, you could have learned all of that by typing Bill Richardson into Google and following a few links. I find that with a quick trip to Wikipedia and Google I can often gather a lot of basic information about a candidate. I still have to dig to verify facts and see if there are other facts not readily available, but this usually gives me a solid starting point. My listing, in my previous post, of what he has done is mostly from the Wikipedia entry on Bill Richardson. I only quickly skimmed it then and there is more information that I didn't include, such as there having been some sort of scandal while he was Secratary of Energy. I don't think that he is "the ideal candidate", but I think that he does have considerable experience and should be given a thorough and fair examination and then compared against the other hopefuls.

You shouldn't rely on what Paladin or any other poster, including myself, posts to inform you about a candidate, but should instead try to at least gather some basic knowledge of the candidates that might be on the ballot when the primaries come around. If nothing else it will give some context to what you see in politcal ads and articles over the next two years. I've already started gathering information on Democratic hopefuls and will start gathering information on Republican hopefuls in a couple of weeks.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 869

Mmm... He won't be on my primary ballot.

I'll be busy trying to choose the least homophobic, most fiscally conservative candidate from a pool of big government candidates who know their votes come from people who would put us in camps if they thought they could get away with it.

I'm not looking forward to the election... Can we skip it and just have no president or congress for a few years?

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

lol [Smile]

I understand your frustration. I didn't do much preparation for the 2000 primaries and elections and I didn't do this level of preparation for the 2004 election. I did for the mid-terms for the congressional election and the various state offices and as a result I feel like I at least went in with my eyes wide open instead of wide shut. If any candidates for the higer state or federal office come near my city I know that if I have done at least this level of research I could show up and ask some pointed questions. And I just might do it too.

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In all fairness, didn't he just declare his candidacy this week? It's hard to build up a huge media representation in just a two day stretch y'know.
In all fairness, didn't Hillary and Obama only just recently announce their candidacies, too? There's been media speculation of their presidential possibilities since they ran for senate, but I'm not even sure if they've even officially announced ... if they have it's been very recently.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big C
Member # 3404

- posted      Profile for Big C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compared to the rest of his party, he's moderate.

He doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell.

For his sake I'm glad he wasn't on Ron Brown's plane. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky...

Posts: 171 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hillary announced Friday, Obama has announced his exploratory comitee, which is pretty much the same as announcing he intends to seek the office.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

quote:
Paladine, what about the accusation made by Fox News about his hosting hostile foreign leaders in defiance of the current administration. (You know how much I love the current administration, but I agree with JM; Americans support each other.)
I don't have a problem with Americans meeting with foreign leaders so long as they're not undermining our foreign policy. How specifically are they saying he did this? The mere act of meeting with a foreign leader (epsecially when doing something like negotiating prisoner releases) isn't inherently inappropriate.
TCB
Member # 1677

- posted      Profile for TCB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a New Mexican, and Richardson's been a very successful governor here. I think a diplomat, negotiator, and competent executive is exactly what this country needs as a leader after Bush.

I've heard, though, that there are skeletons in his closet (allegations of womanizing, etc.) that prevented him from being chosen as the VP candidate by Gore or Kerry.

Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 3319

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he has a chance, certainly a shot at being the VP candidate. If he's running for president, has to know that whatever skeletons he has in his closet are going to come out. Either he's monumentally naive, or he has a plan to combat them.

But we' still a year and change away from the first primary, which means he has plenty of time to get himself out there. The reason so many people are announcing so incredibly early is they want to lock up resources, mostly of two varieties: Manpower and Money. The money comes in the form of campaign donations, simple enough. Many commentators on the process are saying anyone who raises less than a hundred million dollars between now and the primary isn't a serious contender. I don't think money is everything, but it's a strong indicator of name recognition and how good a chance donators think they have at winning. Manpower comes in the form of smart, veteran campaign workers. Hillary already has dozens locked up, to say nothing of Bill, who might be the most important one of all. It's why some Democratic contenders are already saying they are out, so free up resources for the people who early on say they are in. Gore has yet to announce, and you can bet the rest of the field is urging him to do so, one way or the other, because there are still people holding back support and funds until they know what he is doing.

With 20 contenders already in the field, and that number rising, and considering in 2004 there really wasn't ANY favorite until the primaries actually started (and even then the favorite fell from grace), I think anyone has a shot at THIS point in the race. Anyone who comes up with good ideas, has some charisma, and some bucks anyway.

Posts: 729 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Camp
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Jon Camp   Email Jon Camp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's scoring pretty well in this (nonscientific) online straw poll.

Edit to add -- change the dropdown thing to "all precincts" for full numbers, and if you want to vote yourself, there's a link over in the text to the right.

[ February 02, 2007, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Jon Camp ]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page