Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Loss of a Great One

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loss of a Great One
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Molly Ivins died yesterday (1/31/07).

She was one of my favorite writers and easily one of the funniest.

I didn't even know she had been fighting cancer since 1999.

Just one link I came across at random.

Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpshin
Member # 3175

- posted      Profile for sharpshin   Email sharpshin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Molly. You were alway good for a laugh, and you were one sharp cookie.

[ February 01, 2007, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: sharpshin ]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing an Internet search for information, I was delighted to find a site which proclaims that "Molly Ivins writes about politics, Texas and other bizarre happenings." Describing Texas as a bizarre happening is something she would have enjoyed. She will be missed, both for her wit and for her rather encyclopedic knowledge of Texas politics.

[ February 01, 2007, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad news, I wasn't aware that she was ill. It certainly didn't effect her keen intellect, or her penetrating wit. Rest in peace, Molly.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die

Mary Elizabeth Frye (1905-2004)

[ February 01, 2007, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Excellent scouser1.

Godot, I didn't know her work, but I'm sorry for you and those of you who admired and enjoyed her.

KE

scouser1
unregistered

I wrote it on a card and put it in my grandmothers coffin as a child. It's always an appropriate poem..
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivins was an unappologetic radical liberal who didn't hesitate to mock her own "side".

She had a wicked sense of humor, and had the same sort of charm and class as Anne Richards (and KE knows *exactly* what type of Texas Broad I mean).

She coined the insult "shrub" long before Bush ran for the Presidency. "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing it's idiot" was hers too.

It all sounds brutal if you never heard her on the radio...but if you did you can't help reading those statements and hearing them come from a white haired southern woman with a glass of lemonade in her hand, a smile on her face, and an evil twinkle in her eye.

She was fired from the NYT for refering to a community chicken butchering festival as a "gang pluck".

On Clinton, she said "If left to my own devices, I'd spend all my time pointing out that he's weaker than bus station chili."

On History? "It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America."

On a controversial court case "There's never been a law yet that didn't have a ridiculous consequence in some unusual situation; there's probably never been a government program that didn't accidentally benefit someone it wasn't intended to. Most people who work in government understand that what you do about it is fix the problem -- you don't just attack the whole government."

On the other hand, one of my favorites "During a recent panel on the numerous failures of American journalism, I proposed that almost all stories about government should begin: 'Look out! They're about to smack you around again!' "

Here's a bunch more

Quotes

quote:

President George W. Bush, a frequent target of her barbs, said in a statement, "I respected her convictions, her passionate belief in the power of words, and her ability to turn a phrase. She fought her illness with that same passion. Her quick wit and commitment to her beliefs will be missed."

Wiki

Quotes

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

What the HELL would Bush know about "turn a phrase" or "the power of words"???? He cant even speak sense himself half the bloody time!! :-S
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol - scouser, you just demonstrated it perfectly: the President cannot even be magnanimous and gracious to a deceased person who herself insulted him frequently, without being criticized for that.

Bush can do nothing right, eh?

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

Too right! We buzz off him over here!! [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page