Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Joss Whedon (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Joss Whedon
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, Spike is another reason to like Season 6 of Buff- that sex scene that starts at the end of Crash and finishes in the beginning of Wrecked?? HOT. HOT. HOT.

I think Spike is just as much of a hook for girls as Angel- the bleached blonde Brit bad boy? Come now. They have him singing "You know you've got a willing slave, but you just love to play the thought that you might misbehave." Every girl I know who goes to the sing-a-longs would looooove him to be her willing slave.

Despite the fact that Eliza Dushku is an attractive gal, I never got into Faith as a character on Buffy. Her stint on Angel in Season 4, however, totally redeemed her for me. She's a little softer, and because of what happened on Buffy she's a bit self-punishing and seeking redemption. Her fight with the beast and then Angelus is really quite good.

You think Angel is stupid in the end, Funean? My roommate and I were RIVETED to Season 5.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doyle is dead?? In real life?? Bloody hell! You just never know the minute.. :-S
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think Spike is just as much of a hook for girls as Angel- the bleached blonde Brit bad boy? Come now. They have him singing "You know you've got a willing slave, but you just love to play the thought that you might misbehave." Every girl I know who goes to the sing-a-longs would looooove him to be her willing slave.
No doubt. But unlike Angel, Spike was also an interesting character, and just loads of fun every time he was on the screen. You don't have to be a teenage girl to appreciate Spike.

quote:
You think Angel is stupid in the end, Funean? My roommate and I were RIVETED to Season 5.
Angel was a really uneven show. Some seasons were decent, (including season 5, which contains one of my favourite lines: "I was kinda thinking of slaying the dragon") but for the most part, it suffered from what I call "Star Trek Voyager Syndrome". This is when a TV series repeatedly introduces new and cool characters, and then gradually strips them of all individuality and turns them into cookie cutter good guy drones.

In this respect, Angel was the polar opposite of Buffy. Buffy thrived because it had this huge cast of diverse characters and personalities and celebrated those differences.

By contrast, Angel ground all of its characters into a single mold, eradicating their individuality. Take Gunn for example. He starts off as a bad-boy street-tough guy, which was really cool. But then in less than a season, he's a generic good guy. He went from gangsta to Bryant Gumbell in a handful of episodes.

You see the same thing happening with the Host. When he was an occasional guest character, he was awesome. But then when he became a regular, he just lost most of his charm.

The same could be said of Cordelia and Wesley, who both ended up morphing into cookie cutter "hero" types. You call this character development, I call it taking something unique and interesting and making it boring and pedestrian.

And as for Angel, since he never had any charisma to begin with, nothing much changed with him throughout the show. Angel was great as one of many supporting characters on Buffy. But there's no way he could sustain his own show on his own. David Boreanz is just too weak an actor to pull it off.

Sarah Michelle Gellar may not be the most amazing actress, and her character on Buffy was not necessarily the most interesting one on the show, but she had a real charisma that only grew stronger as the series progressed. Angel is not even close.

[ February 08, 2007, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the role Wesley tends to play in the later seasons, I don't really think that you could call him a cookie cutter "hero". Especially since all the main characters on Buffy or Angel, on the side of good, are heroic in one form or another. That's one of great things about the shows, it wasn't about the title character and sidekicks, it was about a group of heroes working together. Even if some where more "heroic" than others.

And the puppet episode is one of the best gimmick episodes ever.

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 869

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Once More WIth Feeling is the best episode of Buffy, Smile Time (the puppet episode) is the best episode of Angel. I get all happy just thinking about it.
Posts: 385 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, I forgot about that one! Yes, that was marvelous.

I may not be being entirely fair to Angel. As jason said, it was a really uneven series, and because I had kid-duty during the hour it was on, I may have missed good episodes and seen bad ones, etc. But I found the changes to Cordelia's character particularly reprehensible, and others as well, though somewhat less so. One of the problems with Angel was that it purported to be building up to these big finales, which always left it with nothing to do *afterwards*.

"THE END OF THE WORLD!!!" And now some scenes from next week's episode....

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Like Once More WIth Feeling is the best episode of Buffy, Smile Time (the puppet episode) is the best episode of Angel. I get all happy just thinking about it.
Yeah that was a pretty funny episode. I think the puppet was a way better actor than David Boreanz. They should have made it permanent [Smile] It's certainly not unprecedented in the Buffy universe for a hero to live his life as a puppet.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Noble, Angel/Boreanaz had a bad knee injury that kept him from exercising. And I disagree that he is a bad actor, he was great as Angelus. (And Stacy says watch Bones or Season two of Buffy and you will change your mind. Of course she thinks is soo hot too.)

Jason, I mentioned Spike. Are you skipping my posts? He is my favorite character on any of Joss's shows. ('Let Me Rest In Peace', is a great song! And he isn't even that great a singer. Watching him speak English in real life is like watching House speak English in real life. Amazing that they don't natively speak the type of English they do in their shows.)

Fun, Doyle died in real life of alcohol and heroin overdose. From what I've read.

The killing off of Fred still hurts, and Wesley's tortured soul in that part totally redeems him for being such a ponce early on.

KE

[ February 08, 2007, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

scouser1
unregistered

A puppet episode?? God, i missed out!! :-S
KnightEnder
unregistered

Yeah, Angel get's turned into a puppet and Spike makes fun of him. It is great.

KE

Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No, I do not have puppet cancer!" <-- best line in the whole series. [Big Grin]
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Spike is another reason to like Season 6 of Buff- that sex scene that starts at the end of Crash and finishes in the beginning of Wrecked?? HOT. HOT. HOT.
I can see that, although personally it seemed too fake to be truly sexy (I don't think it's even physically possible to have sex while both parties are wearing jeans).

The problem with Spike in Season 6 is that while he was a very charming and funny character while pursuing Buffy, when he had her all that went away and he simply became a creep.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

It is so funny! Just looked it up on You Tube! I need to get the boxset!! [Big Grin]
scouser1
unregistered

Can anyone tell me just how many seasons of angel there were? Im so not up to speed on it! And i used to love it so!
KnightEnder
unregistered

"Let Me Rest In Peace"

I knowww...

I should gooo...

But I follow you...like a man possessed...

There's a traitor here...beneath my breast...

And it hurts me more...than you've ever guessed...

If my heart could beat...it would break my chest...

But I can see you're unimpress...

Buffy Video (Spike) Let Me Rest in Peace (youtube)

God Bless the Internet (and Al Gore, of course)

[ February 09, 2007, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

The other runner-up for best song. This song touches me. (sappy, huh?)

Standing in the Way (Giles) [Crying]

simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scous- there are 5 seasons of Angel- 1-4 correspond with 4-7 of Buffy, then it went on for an additional year.

KE-
Rest in Peace is the BEST. I also like Xander and Anya's duet (which has foreshadowing about their wedding! "I’ve read this tale, There's wedding then betrayal, I know there'll come the day I'll want to run and hide"). I really like the "Wish I could Stay" duet with Tara and Giles, because they both can SING. "Walk through the Fire" is good as well. Shoot, I love most of that soundtrack (which I own, btw).

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page