Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » A Velntine's Day wish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Velntine's Day wish
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to wish all the happy couples out there a happy Valentine's Day. And by that, I mean that I hate you, I hate Valentine's Day, and hope that you are all miserable and choke on your love and chocolate and bunnies and kisses.

But seriously, I'm not bitter.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XOXO
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there are a lot of different kinds of love! Maybe we ought to help broaden the VD message so folks who aren't at that time in a romantic relationship don't feel like losers, which of course they aren't, because being in a relationship really doesn't define someone. [Smile]
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a youngling, I'd make valentines for my friends and family. It was fun. Construction paper and glue and glitter everywhere.

Can't do that these days, though. That sexual taint permeates the poor things. [Smile]

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" help broaden the VD message"

Don't know about you, cperry, but I don't want to spread the venereal disease message [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[LOL] My thoughts exactly. But perhaps we could work to make Valentine's Day a little more single friendly. When asked what I was going to do today I responded "sulk". I can't actually manage that all day, though.

BTW the person who asked me that did give me some chocolate today as a platonic valentine gift.

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And while the non-romatically involved are all sulking through Valentine's Day, those who do have a romantic interest are complaining about it. (Well, at least most of the men are.) Admit it now, would you really be more excited for Valentine's Day to come if you had a significant other? Or would you join my co-workers in griping about the expectation of flowers and chocolates and dinner?
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would be pretty happy if my girl would get into valentines day this year. this may be a horrible valentines day though, even not being single.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point and I empathize. Valentine's Day is hard work. But aren't men happier at work than at rest (sulk, whatever). I know I am or rather would be.

[ February 14, 2007, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: caladbolg1125 ]

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to hate the idea of conforming to V-day's expectations. It's all about females demanding that males show their love and romance side by buying flowers, chocolates and expensive dinners.

But since we now have a corresponding holidy for men, I don't mind celebrating V-day one bit...

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Y' know, I always thought the day was supposed to be two-sided. Goes to show what I know. [Wink]
Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I got home made cheescake and venison steaks, and all I had to do was make a little card with a picture of us on it and buy a rose on the way home.

I'm definately ahead on this one. Unfortunately, the film she's on right now is shootings nights so she already had to run:(
_____

The thing about being single on Valentines day is that the potential object of your affection might be too!!!

This is the worst possible day to sit around bemoaning your lack of a cuddle buddy!! Get out there and find some other lonely soul.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Definitely a chick holiday. I think March 14 is an excellent idea.

KE

tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not all chicks think this holliday is important. mine just woke up took a shower, cleaned the house a little, and left. i hope someone at the place she is now asks her what we got for each other.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The thing about being single on Valentines day is that the potential object of your affection might be too!!!

This is the worst possible day to sit around bemoaning your lack of a cuddle buddy!! Get out there and find some other lonely soul.

God I hate this day.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are looking at it all wrong-- you SHOULD be celebrating the natal anniversary of your favorite poster, SB!! I'm 26 today.
Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

Ok, I have been watching Buffy from the beginning, season 1 through 7 over the past few weeks. Tonight, I vowed to watch Buffy to take my mind off of this miserable day (I can't watch TV because all of the commercials etc... refer to it) and guess which episode of season 2 I ended up on next... the Valentine's day episode. LOL.
tonylovern
Member # 2580

congratulations. how was your sushi?
tonylovern
Member # 2580

if i were a drinking man, i'd be hammered now.
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday SB! [Smile]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I used to hate the idea of conforming to V-day's expectations. It's all about females demanding that males show their love and romance side by buying flowers, chocolates and expensive dinners.

But since we now have a corresponding holidy for men, I don't mind celebrating V-day one bit...

You know, I get sick of this attitude, that females are "demanding" things. I think the pressure you feel is more commerical than from actual girlfriends. Personally, I've never "demanded" anything, and I generally give my S.O. something in return. I totally do not accept Steak and a BJ day as a reasonable analog-- and really, shouldn't that happen more than once a year?
Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

All my girlfriends (EDIT- WHEN I WAS SINGLE lol) and my wife ALL expect something for Valentines day. And all of my friend's girlfriends and wives are the same...just because you are the exception to the rule doesn't mean the rule doesn't apply IN GENERAL.

As for " I totally do not accept Steak and a BJ day as a reasonable analog" that's because you do not accept the premist that MOST women do when it comes to V-day.

Most women want chocolate, flowers and "romance" on V-day....most Men want steak and BJs. The analog is good for most of us.

Since you don't think like this...great for you, better for your boyfriend! But are you telling me you don't know of any other women in your life that in fact do NOT expect something on V-day from their S.O.'s?

But I will most certainly agree with you here...

"...shouldn't that happen more than once a year?"

Damn straight! [Big Grin]

[ February 14, 2007, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Daruma28 ]

Everard
unregistered

My girlfriend not only didn't want anything this year, I was informed that if I got her anything she'd be "very angry."

Turned out that all she really wanted was to cuddle. I guess thats "wanting something" but...

moodi
Member # 3020

- posted      Profile for moodi   Email moodi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard,

Be careful of what's coming next. The "didn't-want anything-this-year" song was played to me before. It basically means, save as much money as you can (can here means "kill yourself trying") for my present next year.... or I would be "very angry."

My heart tells me that this is the elastic band trick with a hint of the guilt card mixed with the mysterious wrath theory.

May the force be with you. Happy next Valentine [Smile]

Posts: 134 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I did the flowers, chocolate, card, chocolate covered strawberry's thing today, and she was happy. Then tonight my boys got into an arguemt over gym shorts and she didn't like the way I decided.

If you care: (She thinks all clothes should be communal because we are "a family". And I think that my oldest son should be able to wear "his" clothes without having to have them borrowed by his brother.)

So, now she is mad at me. I can't win. [Frown]

KE

simplybiological
Member # 1344

The guy I'm VERY casually dating (i.e., it ain't going anywhere, but we both like going out on dates and smooching too much to call it off) took me out and told me to order all the sushi I want. As his present, I let him give me a hickey... he finds them hilarious.

(for the record, KE- I agree with you)

scouser1
unregistered

I got some Alien perfume which ive wanted for ages! And a Me To You card (I am mad about me to you bears, they are the most gorgeous bears ever!) And I got him the usual stuff, Clinique stuff, socks, etc,
but all sex and everything else was out of the question, I have already put a stone on with this baby, and if I even tried to get on the floor to give him a BJ, I dont think i'd ever be able to get up again!!

Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, in that situation you win by sticking to your guns in a respectful manner.
Women don't like it when we give in and let them have their way all the time - they like it when we're in control of ourselves and not afraid to take a stand as long as we do it respectfully and consistently. To take a stab in the dark - and I could be way off here - but I'll wager she's not so much irritated about the gym shorts as she is about getting the cliche gift and not something you put more thought into. Unless, of course, that's exactly what she wanted and you did put thought into it - like I said, I might be way off here.

To highlight a point, just go put her favorite dress on and see how quickly she drops the "communal property" bit. (well, at least find something she really likes that is personal to her that you also won’t ruin)

In the infamous words of James:
..Dressed me up in womens clothes
Messed around with gender roles
Dye my eyes and call me pretty

A day late, but, guys, women don't want a cliché, they want you to pay attention to them personally and, not just on VD, but at other random times, do something or give them something that says you know and understand who they are. Simply pay attention and give her something that makes her feel special - it's not rocket science.

[ February 15, 2007, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: jm0397 ]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, when is "Velntine's Day"?
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

It was yesterday, jm,thank god says most of us!!

[ February 15, 2007, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Simply Biological. Yeah I know its a day late, but I was busy sulking about being single on valentives day. Actually, I spent the day shoveling snow. It took almost 5 hours, in several parts, to dig my car out of a snow drift and clear a path to the plowed part of the parking lot. I talked briefly with my ex-girlfriend, since we are both between significant others, but didn't do anything else for the hallmark holdiday this year.

Normally, if I am in a relationship, I go all out with dinner plans, flowers, candy, and other surprises on valentines day. I also usually practice this spontaneously throughout the year just because. Being single sucks.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a great VDay and it had nothing to do with romance. I got heart shaped boxes for my kids and filled them with candy and animal crackers, which they loved. Then I met for coffee with my 3 single girlfriends, and told my husband, "I'm giving you the entire evening to post on Ornery with no interruptions." We were all happy. We'll go out to eat on Saturday when restaurants aren't so crowded and overpriced.

Still, I know it sucks hoping you'll get a secret admirer card or something, and then getting nothing. I didn't have a boyfriend in high school except for freshman year and I hated the holiday too, until I started planning stuff with my friends so I wouldn't sit home alone.

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, that totally reminds me of an ongoing argument that my little brothers have (they are junior and senior in high school, so I think around the same age as your boys).
One morning when I was home visiting and they were going to school, Older Brother stomped upstairs from the laundry room and said to Younger Brother, "Where are your clean gym shorts?"
Younger Brother said, "I don't have any, they're all dirty."
Older Brother made a disgusted face. "You're going to wear dirty gym shorts! That's gross! Why don't you ever wash your shorts?"
Younger Brother said, "Well, if I washed them, you'd wear them."

I fell off the couch laughing. What an elegant solution!

I spent Valentine's day working. A lot. After normal work, my Darling and I waited tables for free at the restaurant our friends recently opened. Love is service!

I *did* get flowers, but since they were rescued from the trash as opposed to boughten, and I didn't expect them, I refuse to feel like a Demanding Girl about it.

And I, also, think that Steak-and-BJ-Day should be WAY more often than once a year. Weekly?

And lastly, everyone should remember to celebrate National Half-Price Chocolate Day today. Head to your local fancy chocolate store and buy amazingly good chocolates in heart shapes at dirt-cheap prices.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

I never get the full works because its christmas in december, then my birthday in janurary, so by the time valentines day comes, its a bit of a half-hearted effort seeing as though he has spent all of his hard earned cash on me for both christmas and new year! Kind of feel bad on him for that fact :-S
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And lastly, everyone should remember to celebrate National Half-Price Chocolate Day today.
I thought that was the day after Halloween. [Smile]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

do you really have a day like that??
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A day like what?

March 14th?

Yup.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 869

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually looking forward to steak and bj day. I mean, I like steak too and I like it when my hubby is happy...

But for valentine's day he made me to go an NBA game with him and now I'm thinking for steak and BJ day I should take him to a chick flick.

Posts: 385 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

You go, pixiest!! [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page