Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » France continues progression to police state

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: France continues progression to police state
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A new law in France makes it a crime -- punishable by up to five years in prison -- for anyone who is not a professional journalist to film real-world violence and distribute the images on the Internet."

- CNN

"The bill creates several new offences, including "passive soliciting", "illegal group occupation of property" and "exploitation of begging".

It also increases police powers to search vehicles, frisk individuals and hold suspects' records, including DNA samples."

-BBC NEWS

I'm having a hard time finding a French or English source that gives details on the law, any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
France has been the vanguard for a few centuries. Behold the technocratic future.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if the violence is police brutality?
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's part of the argument, Omega. In defense, a government spokesman indicated that judges will know the difference between good intentions and bad intentions.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
France has been the vanguard for a few centuries. Behold the technocratic future.

You mean "Back" to the technocratic future.

More specifically, I'm thinking of the year 1984...

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let them eat a flourless chocolate torte with rasperry puree.
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny to recall the origination of the term Technocracy. If I recall correctly, the original Tehnocratic movement arose around the same time that Fascism waxed strong (20s/30s).

I like the original technocrats. I unfairly impugn them when I compare them to France's situations or, for that matter, America's plutocratic/welfare state casserole.
Tehcnocratic movement

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cytania
Member # 2598

- posted      Profile for Cytania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This law is supposed to stop 'happy slapping', something which is all too common here in the UK. Basicly happy-slappers are usually teenagers who assault someone else (often at school but sometimes random strangers in the street) whilst a friend with a videophone films it. Later it is posted on a site like YouTube, or sent between phones for their friends to laugh and gawp at.

Now clearly these kids aren't very bright as there have been a number of cases where the police have gone straight to the perpetrators houses and arrested them. This should be obvious as there is usually a traceable phone number and those committing the assault show their faces (no point otherwise or anyone could claim the kudos).

The French law would seem superfluous since the crime is patently self-exposing. I'm waiting for dumb videos called 'me robbing the bank and where I live' next [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 743 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

It would seem, then, that this law is not so much a matter of 'police-state totalitarianism' as 'welfare-state legal preventionism'. A way of discouraging a trend that, left to itself, might produce an accidental snuff-flick.

You know, modern law since the Magna Carta has been about protecting us from kings and such. Now that democracy wields increasing power over our lives, the kings the law attempts to protect us from are becoming our own silly selves.

Wait until the first case of someone sueing himself arises. Or has it already?

[ March 09, 2007, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a Phillip Dick short story.

Shortly after severing my corpus callosum, left brain, who now insists on being called Samantha, is suing right brain, me (Brian), for gender persecution.

That bitch.

I heard that, I'm throwing in mental cruelty to the suit, too!

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A possibility also in Douglas Adams' "Salmon of Doubt". There seems to be two Dirk Gentlys so he could possibly have sued himself. Its just too bad that we'll never know. *sigh*
Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

Isn't the assault enough of a crime? Why make the distribution of evidence illegal?

I'm still hoping to find out the details on expanded search and other parts of the law.

Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You know, modern law since the Magna Carta has been about protecting us from kings and such. Now that democracy wields increasing power over our lives, the kings the law attempts to protect us from are becoming our own silly selves.
That's a great line.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"I heard that, I'm throwing in mental cruelty to the suit, too!"

Yeah, and I want one-half of your half of our brain back!

caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
""I heard that, I'm throwing in mental cruelty to the suit, too!"

Yeah, and I want one-half of your half of our brain back!"

Only if I get one-half of your half of our brain!

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Is one-half of nothing more or less than nothing?
moodi
Member # 3020

- posted      Profile for moodi   Email moodi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the law is aimed at Fox news.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"flourless chocolate torte"

At the bakery I work at, we call these 'Death By Chocolate's'

Whenever a customer asks what a Death By Chocolate is, I tell them it's like death by firing squad, but more delicious.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, you cad.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page