Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » How to eat flax seeds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to eat flax seeds
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flax seed oil his high in the omegas, and whenever possible I like to get my nutrients as close to the natural source as feasible.

Trouble is that Flax seed oil has a strong and (to me) unpleasant taste, and like most healthy oils, becomes very unhealthy when you cook with it.

A few years ago I bought a big bag of flax seeds, but could not figure out what to do with them, other than chew them. Can't cook them either without turning the nutritious oils into something unhealthy.

I finally stumbled on to how to eat these things, and my wife, who for 4 years has regarded my flax experiments justifiably amused disdain, helped me to devour this one. Mission accomplished.

Here's the recipe:
Grind up the flax-seeds in the blender to create a coarse flour. Mix a little maple syrup in with the flax flour, until the flour is all brought into a thick dough. Pour milk over it, and eat with a spoon.

It looks ghastly, but we really enjoyed the flavor, and I need those omegas. Now I need to go get more flax seeds.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 2990

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip. I don't know if I've eaten flax seeds but it's great to find out new ways to eat unpleasant foods.
Question: I know that a lot of oils are unhealthy to cook with, but what exactly makes them unhealthy during the cooking process?

Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand, the problem is that they become partially hydrogenated. I've been told that ghi (clarified butter) is the safest to fry with, because it's fully hydrogenated.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've put a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed in waffle batter before, and the waffles tasted fine. But I also put brown sugar, vanilla, and a tiny bit of cinnamon in my waffle batter, which might have helped... [Smile]

[ March 16, 2007, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: pickled shuttlecock ]

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe this will be my first post in forever (kids'll do that to ya!) but I'm big on flax seed oil.

My nutritionist recommended putting it in a smoothy - I tried that once and it pretty much tasted like a fish smoothy.

UGH!!

However, I now make omelettes for breakfast - eggs, greens and salmon (the canned variety works great). After cooking, I put about two or three tablespoons of high-lignan flax seed oil over the top of it, and I don't taste it at all due to the salmon.

I've also put it on salads along with olive oil and vinegar, as long as there is some kind of fish - tuna, salmon, etc - with it.

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Salmon croquettes work too.

(waves wildly at OPL--how ya bin?!)

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnson
Member # 2385

- posted      Profile for johnson   Email johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually enjoy fresh flax oil by itself sometimes. IS there a fishy taste?
Posts: 626 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fishy to me - not sure why that is - maybe the source? Or just my odd taste buds?

(Back at ya, Funean!! Running after two 19 month olds and trying to keep up with them - no wonder I need so much flax seed oil [Smile] !!!)

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not so much fishy to me as just strong, but seems not to be able to compete with certain other strong flavors, "fish" being one of them.

(OPL--the secret is coffee and vitamins. Seriously. [Big Grin] And they're 19 months already?! Dang!)

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know you had twins, OPL. Welcome to the club!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

Thx! Yes, Molly and Sam joined the family back in August '05, right around when I dropped off the face of the planet around here...

Funny how kids do that to a person, huh [Smile] ?

KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fish oil is supposed to be really be good for you but it gives you bad breath and you end up burping it up for the rest of the day. The other day a guy told me that if you freeze the pill and then swallow them this doesn't happen. Worth a try.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just take them at night, before you go to bed. Also, some brands make de-odorized fish oil that has no aftertaste. They are more expensive, but if the smell/aftertaste bothers you, worth looking into.

Flax oil doesn't really taste fishy, but it does have a strong, almost grassy taste to it. I did not enjoy it, but eaten on salad with balsamic vinegar I can't really taste it.

I quit eating flax when I heard it has a plant hormone similar to estrogen. I guess maybe that wouldn't be a problem for you guys taking it, but apparently in some women it can really mess things up. Anybody heard this?

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

Wow, no, never did - gotta look into that one.

I needed to take lots of omegas when I was knocked up, but they didn't want me having it from a fish source because of the possibly mercury issues, so they had me take flax instead - still tasted "fishy" to me, tho [Smile] .

Pete at Home
Member # 429

"I've put a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed in waffle batter before, and the waffles tasted fine."

The problem there is that as I understand, the heat partially hydrogenates the flax oil, destroys the healthy stuff, and may actually render it quite unhealthy. I could be misinformed, but AFAIK you want to avoid heating the stuff.

Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. But I do know that Kashi has a tasty little bar that has flax seed in it, and I like it.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanHeraclitean
Member # 3120

- posted      Profile for PanHeraclitean   Email PanHeraclitean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that flax seed oil has elevated estrogen levels somewhat like soy. And I'm an estrogenaphobe. I don't even drink wheat beer because I was told by a guy would worked at a brewery that he knew gay men drank unfiltered wheat beer to amplify their otherwise non-existent "endowments".

Fish oil for me any day.

In fact I heard this from the same source as Carlotta.

To not mince words, I don't want to wake up one day and have to purchase a bro for my saggy man breasts if I can somehow help it.

[ March 18, 2007, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: PanHeraclitean ]

Posts: 1259 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Can anyone source this rumor about flax and estrogen?
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cooking with flax:

http://www.bioriginal.com/efa_faq.html

quote:
Can I bake with flax seeds?
Yes! Unlike flax oil, milled flax seeds can be used in baking cookies, loafs, and casseroles. The flax seeds have a protective outer coating that will prevent the oil from turning rancid. Flax seeds make great additions to all your favorite recipes.

Can I cook with flax oil?
No! This is because flax oil contains omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids which are highly unstable at high temperatures. Cooking with flax oil will cause the oil to turn rancid, and produce potentially harmful trans fatty acids. Flax oil can be added to the diet in many different ways including salad dressings, blender drinks, yogurt and cooked cereal.

This squares with pretty much everything I found from a quick Google of "cook flax seed".
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

Estrogens in flax:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoestrogen

Googling a bit more, I'm finding that it's not known whether phytoestrogens in general have the same effects as estrogens in humans (contrary to the Wikipedia article) - more specifically, whether they bind to estrogen receptors and then act like estrogens, or bind and do nothing, blocking real estrogens. It may depend on the specific phytoestrogen. More here:

http://www.naturalfoodsmerchandiser.com/ASP/articleDisplay.asp?strArticleId=1125&strSite=NFMSite

In any case, I seriously doubt you'd get a case of the man-boobs by ingesting flax, or we'd have heard quite a bit about it by now. It probably would have been discovered during trials where they found that it helps inhibit prostate cancer, if not by the thousands of men whose wives make them eat it. [Smile]

[ March 18, 2007, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: pickled shuttlecock ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Damnation. More estrogen than soy, which was another great favorite of mine for health and stuff [Frown] I've started to gain some weight in the last year and want to take it off; estrogens probably won't help that a whole lot.

Thank you, PS!

Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so disapointing to realize that whatever you eat will still eventually kill you. [Razz]
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swami
Member # 2129

- posted      Profile for Swami   Email Swami   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flaxseed and Flaxseed oil are also anticoagulants. Be careful of "herbal" drug interactions from flax if you're taking medicines for blood conditions such as hemophilia, thrombophilia, etc.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been some studies showing that Flax seed has some bad properties to it along with the good omega 3's. You can google it if you're interested. I've also seen info that the omega 3 in flax are not long chain aminos that we can readably absorb, so much of it is wasted.

Fish oil is long chain and fully absorbable. If you're getting fish breath, you are taking an inferior product. Heavy metals are a concern, but the best fish oil is filtered and purified.

I like Dr Dave's Best, but his stuff is expensive. I think GNC's fish oil is filtered and purified - check the label - and I didn't have any fish breath problems with it.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page