Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Technophile Searched and Siezed under Terrorism Act

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Technophile Searched and Siezed under Terrorism Act
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
link

quote:
The train enters the station. Uniformed police officers appear on the platform and surround me. They must immediately notice my French accent, still strong after living more than 12 years in London.

They handcuff me, hands behind my back, and take my rucksack out of my sight. They explain that this is for my safety, and that they are acting under the authority of the Terrorism Act. I am told that I am being stopped and searched because:

· they found my behaviour suspicious from direct observation and then from watching me on the CCTV system;

· I went into the station without looking at the police officers at the entrance or by the gates;

· two other men entered the station at about the same time as me;

· I am wearing a jacket "too warm for the season";

· I am carrying a bulky rucksack, and kept my rucksack with me at all times;

· I looked at people coming on the platform;

· I played with my phone and then took a paper from inside my jacket.

Click the link for the full article.

What do you guys think of this?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just goes to show how bad an idea the PATRIOT act was - oh wait, it's the UK, not the US?

</sarcasm>

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they shoot him?
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but I'm going to.

Edited to add: Damn, I said that outloud? Whoops.

[ September 23, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my friends that don't follow the news think I'm paranoid when I talk about stuff like this.

But at least the stupid people feel safer. They're not, but they feel like they are.

I suppose we should just be *grateful* he didn't get held down and shot in the head. We should *thank* the police for excercising such *restraint*.

Personally I'd rather get blown up by a terrorist than shot by the cops. Of course I'd rather get falsely arrested by the cops than blown up by a terrorist, but are those REALLY our only choices?

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that is one of the better anti-terrorism methods available. Screening people for aberrant behavior works. I believe Israel is very good at it. I can reference a bunch of articles saying that it is significantly better to do searches based on suspicion than to do (for example) random passenger screenings.

This would (I hope) not fly in the United States, because we have legal protections against it. However, it is probably one of the smarter ways to curb terrorism.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curbing terrorism is not as high on my list as preserving our liberties. The ones endowed by our creator, the ones that an UNALIENABLE. That used to be a self-evident truth.
Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Curbing terrorism is not as high on my list as preserving our liberties. The ones endowed by our creator, the ones that an UNALIENABLE. That used to be a self-evident truth.
quote:
Just goes to show how bad an idea the PATRIOT act was - oh wait, it's the UK, not the US?

</sarcasm>

Let's be indignant about our UNALIENABLE rights when we are talking about actual rights. Where did this happen again? Say it with me:

the UK.

Where is the UK NOT? Say it with me:

the US

Let's not bring in US legal precedent and rights to a case where they don't apply - can we do that? Then we can keep the hyperbole on the right track, thank goodness. It goes down SO much better that way.

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mormegil -

Most that have seen me post on these boards know that I am in favor of preserving liberties.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dudes who signed the document that he's sort of paraphrasing thought these were the rights of all men, not just Americans.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time figuring out if the guy was just questioned or actually arrested and booked. If he was just questioned, well, suck it up and go on with your life.

I was once surrounded by a couple dozen cops, from several different law enforcement agencies, (CHP, San Diego PD, and San Diego Sheriffs deputies) while walking past the county courthouse on my way from one bus stop to another in downtown San Diego. Two of them had their guns drawn.

They ordered me to drop my bag, put my hands behind my neck, lift my shirt from that position, turn around, and lay down. Then they cuffed me.

An armed dark haired six foot white male with a beard had raped a woman in the area about an a hour before. I (luckily) had a movie ticket in my pocket with the time of sale printed on it as well as the show time, which gave me an alibi, so they let me go. While an officer was appoligizing for the inconvience, some one else came up with a more complete description (guy was 20 years older than me) so I would have been cut loose anyway.

What I'm saying is that detaining someone for a brief period on an incomplete suspicion isn't really a violating of their fundemental rights. If this guy wasn't jailed, I don't get the point of the whining.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halfhaggis
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for halfhaggis   Email halfhaggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They arrested him and took fingerprints and DNA swabs.
Perhaps, Jesse, you should read the whole article. Then you might "get the point of the whining."

Posts: 101 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Site won't load for me.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Writing as a WASP London born and bred male I personally don’t have a problem with our Police Force holding a nationwide DNA database of individuals whether criminals or law abiding. I regard it as just another tool like fingerprints. Naive or what?

As for the David Mery case I must have been out of town when it happened, as I can find no other record of it but the Web. Our newspapers suck. As an occasional user of the Tube I find his actions strange.
I always look the Police on duty and make sure they see me.
I always make sure they can see I have nothing strapped to my person.
In London no one looks directly at other people.
In the Tube you don’t reach in your coat while playing with your mobile.
The correct position is staring into space while attached to an iPod.

Anyway this bloke is French. He’s just asking for it.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

The Register and Enquirer both have stories on this. They can be found here .

Athelstan said:
quote:
Writing as a WASP London born and bred male I personally don’t have a problem with our Police Force holding a nationwide DNA database of individuals whether criminals or law abiding. I regard it as just another tool like fingerprints. Naive or what?
Police cannot take fingerprints without cause (generally upon arrest, or in the process of permit applications). Are there any legal protections against searches in the UK? I'm honestly curious - I've been over there, but it has never come up.

--Firedrake

Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are there any legal protections against searches in the UK? I'm honestly curious - I've been over there, but it has never come up.

--Firedrake

This answer would have to come off the top of my head (light headed at this time of day) but the short answer is No. The police from their formation (1837) could always search people in the streets if they seemed to be acting criminally. Later we had the Sus Law where you could be searched for looking suspicious. This usually meant being found in possession of a dark skin and curly hair. To search a house you needed to get a warrant from a Judge and show good cause. Now we have PACE and by the magic of the words drugs or terrorism the police can go and search anywhere but they have promised to act responsibly. They can even now take the ill-gotten gains of crime i.e. motorboats and houses from criminals. There is talk of the Government being able to hold people in prison without charge for three months. We’re also going to outlaw the wearing of hoods, as it’s hard to see people’s faces on the screens. Not. Still Tony helped us bet the Ozzies at cricket and got us the Olympics. Bread and Circuses I hear you cry.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page