Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Battlestar Galactica (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Divine Intervention?

That's exactly what happened in the original BG when Starbuck "died" and then returned. Although I'd be surprised if they adopted that exact storyline, it wouldn't put it past them to adopt a (twisted) variation of it.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I loved those white uniforms and the glowing ships. (Yes I'm a geek.)

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Well, the first 4 minutes blew their special effects budget for half the season. Wow!

So, expect a lot of scenes on the same sets with little extraplanetary stuff...unless the suits decided to send them off with a bang.

I don't like throwing stones at the series...BUT...they blew my suspension of disbelief wide open this episode.

Nope, it's not the undiscovered cylons. It's not the secret anymore (Caprica 6: "I've been programed to not think of them" Brilliant...except they DO think of them. Sloppy programing)

It's not the Starbuck thing. Never liked her character, but still oddness is par for the course these days.

It isn't Gaius Baltar as Saint. Perhaps he had his Saul of Tarsus moment.

No, what blew any willing suspension of disbelief is that there lived 2 dozen buxomy girls in a hidden compartment of a warship, wearing low cut civilian clothes and NOT ONE SOLDIER ON THE FRAKKIN SHIP NOTICED THEM! This is truly an alternate universe...

Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baltar must be a Moslem saint. He didn't get the full 72 virgins, but what he got was a reasonable token.

How was it that it seemingly produced a miracle when Baltar said, "Yes, take my life. Let the boy live." Is his head-case Caprica-6 the emissary of the one true God? It was obvious the writers were painting themselves into a corner with this. They had to produce the miracle. But now what?

This is the balmiest sf show I have ever seen. But I admit, I want to continue watching it, just to see where they're going with all this aberrent theology, where God seems to favor those willing to sacrifice their lives, but good and evil have no meaning.

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KnightEnder, I think you may be right--Roslyn is the twelfth Cylon, trying to lead the fleet away from the true path to earth, which only Starbuck has been given a true vision disclosing it. But wasn't it last season when Roslyn was a visionary of the gods who fulfilled prophecy and led the way to Kobol?

Hmm, if Roslyn is a Cylon, and is an agent of the gods of Kobol (a.k.a. Olympus), and if Caprica-6 is an agent of the One true God, then the Cylons must be divided against themselves.

[ April 05, 2008, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's already been shown at least a couple times in the show that either the gods of the twelve colonies and the God of the Cylons are working together, or they are the same thing.

Of course, the Cylons are programmed to worship their God, so they have no real insight into the matter.

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do admit that the Roslyn being the fifth of the final five has a certain weight, not because of what she's doing so much as the way (Caprica) 6 reacted to her when she asked her if she could tell her who the five were on the ship....
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 3319

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't she have heard the music on Galactica and gone with the other four? Or is she a super DUPER special Cylon model?

Honestly the biggest pieces of evidence are two things: 1. That Hera's hybrid blood had such a positve effect on her cancer. 2. The fact that her, Hera, the Six, and Athena all shared a lucid dream together. Everyone there has Cylon in them except Roslin? A stretch perhaps, unless there's a higher power mysticism at work there, in which case Roslin has some faith issues to work out.

The cancer for me is a bigger problem too, how can Cylons have cancer?

Posts: 729 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Well, all the people that I've seen being put forth as the fifth were around. Why didn't any of them show up?

As to the whole cancer thing, search me. It's been shown that Cylons get sick. So, why not cancer?

If she's a Cylon agent, then maybe she imagined it? Maybe it was planted, or she was programmed that way?

The series has always been vague about what really seperates the Cylons from humanity.

Lyrhawn
Member # 3319

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I'm wondering what sort of special significance the FINAL Cylon model has. Is she the queen bee?

I have to say that she's in my top three list of likely candidates. The problem thus far is choosing the last Cylon is that a lot of people in the fleet have two or three things that sound like they'd be Cylons...as well as two or three that seem to eliminate them from contention. It's a good mystery.

Posts: 729 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Yep. It may be that Starbuck kills her next week. [Smile]
flydye45
unregistered

Nope, it's Cain.

As Tyrol and Boomer showed, fellow Cylons get the sweaty panties for each other. Cain had a thing for Six, left everyone to die, and engaged in battles for little gain.

The fact that she is dead is slightly inconvienient...

flydye45
unregistered

Just saw Razor, btw. I thought it was a pantsload. Very predictable. Great special effects.

That said, the odd hybrid stated that Starbuck was the harbinger of the apocolypse and would lead them astray. How does this jib with the theories being floated here?

KnightEnder
unregistered

I'm sooo tired of people waiting until they are facing their enemy before chambering a round. Anybody that has ever used a gun in a situation where you think you may have to use it quickly knows you make damn sure there is a round in the chamber before you do anything else. Kara Thrace damn well would have known it. Your telling me there wasn't a bullet in the chamber when she was walking through the corridors with the gun in a combat hold? When she stun grenaded the two guards in front of Roslyn's room? Then why did she cock it before pointing it at the president? Stupid.

Also, why don't the toasters talk on this BSG? Do they have personalities? If not, as it seems they don't why did they revolt?

KE

Ron Lambert
Member # 682

We've seen Aliens Vs. Predators. When are we going to see Cylons Vs. Terminators?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still waiting to see the minions of Darth Fuddius versus the Knights of Bunny Bugs Kanobi.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, why don't the toasters talk on this BSG? Do they have personalities? If not, as it seems they don't why did they revolt?
Don't even get me started, KE. [Smile]

• Humans created Cylons, but there's no residual technology (no robots of any stripe) in human culture.
  • Cylon's are easily able to shut down human tech, but humans can't shut down Cylon tech, despite the fact that they (initially) built them.
  • Cylons willing to destroy humans, despite the fact that they believe in a greater power and are trying to destroy agents of that greater power. This is kinda like us trying to destroy angels.
  • Commander Tigh is a Cylon, despite having had a history prior to the first Cylon war.
  • Cylon's are indistinguishable from humans despite having abilities beyond that of human.

And the list goes on...

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

This explains so much
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Not clicking on the link to the Obama/Clinton smoochie picture on that page, thanks.
flydye45
unregistered

Storm

[LOL] Nope, didn't have the balls to try that either...

Ed,

To borrow a quote from another movie about hot made up technology chicks "You are ruining the fantasy. Stop ruining the fantasy."

A hint. The movie had Robert Downey Jr.

[ April 10, 2008, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

EDanaII
Member # 1062

Sorry, Fly, I'm just evil that way. [Wink]

Seriously, though, if Moore had stuck to the original premise of Cylon's belonging to another race, those questions would be irrelevant.

Ed.

starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Hatrack's BSG thread:

Minor Spoiler for episode "6 of 1".... a minute long clip.

Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Lisa. Thanks to you I caught the last thirty minutes of tonights episode. I had no idea scifi.com was running a streaming version at 12 eastern. If they'd run it at 12 Central, like they should [Mad] , I'd have caught it all. Even though some cool stuff happened, I'm still just as confused. Well, maybe not 'just as confused'. They did answer some of mine and Ed's questions. [Wink]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Am I getting this right? It seems like the final 5 might be unique. Not a bunch of copies. And like they are the ones that built and programed the other 7. Before erasing their own memories and making themselves believe they are human. Which would explain why the Cylons have 'not been able to wipe out these last few thousand humans'.

And when Baltar was talking about the music it sure did sound like he was the last of the 5? But wouldn't that be way too obvious?

KE

Straygaldwyr
Member # 4465

- posted      Profile for Straygaldwyr   Email Straygaldwyr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took the whole episode to get to the obvious solution, send Starbuck with a single ship and small crew to verify the way to Earth. I am always a bit appalled by the drama that gets heaped onto the obvious solutions, perhaps this is realistic, maybe it is the close quarters and desperate situation, but to me it seems forced, deliberate exaggerated.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

The solution wasn't just obvious this episode, I had that same question LAST episode. I'm afraid the drama was exaggerated solely for the sake of drama.

And of course, last nights episode simply raised more questions than answers. Final Five unique? I supposed they'd have to be, else there'd be millions of copies walking around too and, therefore, not secret.

But that raises bigger questions for me. If the Final Five are unique, and hiding among the human population, then why are the Cylons actively trying to exterminate there own? If they are unaware that the FF are hiding among the human population, then who placed them there and why?

And then there's the murder of Cavil and supporters. What was the point of that? What good is the threat of death when you know no death will result? All Calvil's gonna do is wake up pissed and a Cylon civil war would erupt as all the models take sides.

I'm afraid all the drama is just getting a little "too much" for me...

Ed.

Straygaldwyr
Member # 4465

- posted      Profile for Straygaldwyr   Email Straygaldwyr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is clear that the Cylon civil war is going to be devastating, maybe it will leave the Cylons with numerical parity with the humans.

If the final five are really unique and they date back to the time when the Toasters were much less sophisticated they may be copies of the humans that original created the Cylons.

Look at their aptitudes, you have a master mechanic, two natural followers/organizers and a go getter that might be a natural pitch man. Then if you imagine Baltar as the last you have a team that could very well have invented the Cylons. Then in isolation they developed the method of making human form androids, then they recreated themselves in the hopes of somehow fixing the mistake they made and finding a new balance for Cylon and human as equals.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

None of Sanders stats should count. [Smile]

KE

Ron Lambert
Member # 682

KnightEnder, if you missed the last episode ("Six of one"), you can view it at their website in their "Rewind" section. My cable service was out, so I missed that episode and could not record it, but my cable Internet still works fine, and I just watched the episode myself.

Here is the link:
http://www.scifi.com/rewind/?sid=32850

[ April 13, 2008, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Ron. I really appreciate the thought. But, I Tivo'd it and watched it yesterday.

I can't understand why they are letting one of their best pilots (Lee) and very few leaders, leave the service to go serve in politics. You'd think they'd at least have had him take a Viper with him in case of attack. I mean they've been chronically short of pilots forever and now they're letting their CAG quit? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Especially when they are losing Helo and Starbuck to the "search for Earth mission". [Confused]

KE

[ April 13, 2008, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

TheSteelenGeneral
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for TheSteelenGeneral   Email TheSteelenGeneral   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hannibal:
I agree with Tez...

but to adress your ponderings, I think its a grave mistake of the series makers to bring up the suicide bombers, and try to give the idea of suicide bombing sympathy from the viewers.

ofcourse, in the series, the fight is for the entire speicies survival, and the targets are non living machines, but psychos can easilly analog this to a current event conflict.

I think its wrong, thats only one of the reasons why BG will never be a great science fiction series, merely a series to pass the time untill the next star trek comes along

Hey, I believe you're a leftish Israeli, right? (i'm sorry if im wrong about that)

Goes to show. If the Israelis in the 40s, had to resort to suicide bomber tactics against the Brits (i'd even mention Nazis but I know how thats a showstopper with Israelis ... [Wink] ) , would you still have considered it "a grave mistake"?

Actually, I thought it was kinda hilarious to equate Israeli/Americans with ROBOTS, the Cylons , and to equate humans with Palestinians.
The amazing thing is that this is an issue.
Poor people, if not scared, will fight with what they can.

Interestingly, in the Star Trek TNG episode "The High Ground", this was also addressed. In this episode, the android Data remarks that terrorism is effective, since it worked in the solving of the Northern-Irish case.
Because of this, this episode was banned from all British TV, until recently. and then it was big news.

Also, those "Ceylons", are they Evil Tea-growing Sri-Langese? [Wink]

Posts: 1486 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSteelenGeneral
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for TheSteelenGeneral   Email TheSteelenGeneral   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps that's "Evil Tea-growing Sri Lankans" of course!
Posts: 1486 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knew a guy a few years back who used to be a tea-purchasing agent for a British tea brokerage.

Good times. LOTS of hiking (this was back in the late 60s that he did this).

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSteelenGeneral
Member # 5530

also, suicide bombing is morally more defendable than sitting snugly in a air-conditioned chopper playing videogames with peoples lifes.

at kenmeer:
say, I was kinda joking about those youtube-redstaters, but if you can remember that far back, i guess there's also an age-similarity between you and that bearded feller? [Wink]

[ April 13, 2008, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: TheSteelenGeneral ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Are the Skin Jobs stronger than regular humans? (The way that chick knocked Cali out with a backhand slap while holding the baby was unreal if she isn't the bionic woman.)

Is anybody else tired of Starbuck's whining?

KE

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping Starbuck would start acting all... you know, not screwed up, now.

Fat chance, apparently.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Are the Skin Jobs stronger than regular humans? (The way that chick knocked Cali out with a backhand slap while holding the baby was unreal if she isn't the bionic woman.)

Is anybody else tired of Starbuck's whining?

KE

They go back and forth with it as the plot demands, as far as I can tell. :/

And, yeah, Starbuck has gotten tedious.

flydye45
unregistered

Starbuck has always been tedious.

Yes, recall the best part of the entire series, when a Six bitchslapped Starbuch three ways past Sunday on Caprica. Or when Sharon was able to run Helo into the ground. Or (another high point) when Leobon was able to snap some handcuffs, and again, bitchslap Starbuck. So either Starbuck is a wuss or Skinjobs are in the higher human percentile in strength.

Ron Lambert
Member # 682

Agreed, Starbuck is a tedious, angst-ridden, self-indulgent whiner. But then, so is Baltar.

If the skin-job Cylons are so much stronger than humans, then why is it so hard for them to be detected?

[ April 19, 2008, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Because the plot demands it, of course.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page