Author Topic: Sandy Hook shooter had his plans reported to the police by neighbor beforehand  (Read 283 times)

LetterRip

• All Members
    • View Profile
One woman told investigators that she overheard Adam Lanza threaten his mother. She said that he "had an assault weapon and that she was scared of him." She said she overheard Lanza say that he "planned to kill his mother and children at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Connecticut."

According to investigators' interview notes, she said she called Newtown police and Sandy Hook and told them about the threats, but police said Lanza's mother owned the firearms and there was nothing they could do; they were told to call state police.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sandy-hook-shooting-investigation-fbi-documents/

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
It's hard not to slip into "what if?" mode when you hear stuff like this. 
I think if I contacted the police and school and heard, "there's nothing we can do." I'd probably make my next trip to the local radio station or paper. 

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
It's hard not to slip into "what if?" mode when you hear stuff like this. 
I think if I contacted the police and school and heard, "there's nothing we can do." I'd probably make my next trip to the local radio station or paper.
And their next trip may very well be a trip to the attorney's office to sue for slander. Even if you were right, they'll now say you were wrong and they had no intent and, unless you have some kind of recording, claim they never even said it. Your false accusation, splashes across the local media, could be shown to cause them material damage and you'd be screwed.

People say crap all the time, if police acted on all of it they'd never have time for anything else as they chase one bogus story after another. At the time Lanza said this, there was no crime. Lanza's mother owned her guns legally. Lanza had not done anything wrong yet, what should the police have done? Scramble the SWAT team and break down the door to haul Lanza off in cuffs because someone says he said something? Should they have put surveillance on Lanza for the rest of his life just to be sure? The police, with any crime, had their hands tied since there is no pre-crime unit.

It's a tragic event but those close to Lanza were the only ones that could have gotten him the kind of help he needed before he acted.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
Ahh but for it to be slander, you would have to name the person. 
And granted, prior to this event, a paper or radio station would be loath to report on an unnamed individual making threats.  Now though?  Hard to say. 

Nobody (or at least very few) wants to pay for a fortress when designing new schools.  In many if not most communities, guards, let alone armed guards on school grounds is as terrifying as the possibility of another spree shooter. 

That said a squad car sitting on the school grounds seems to be half the battle in turning one of these pieces of garbage from active shooter into suicides. 

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
Ahh but for it to be slander, you would have to name the person. 
And granted, prior to this event, a paper or radio station would be loath to report on an unnamed individual making threats.  Now though?  Hard to say. 
Call a radio or TV station and report an anonymous threat? What could they do with that?

Nobody (or at least very few) wants to pay for a fortress when designing new schools.  In many if not most communities, guards, let alone armed guards on school grounds is as terrifying as the possibility of another spree shooter. 

That said a squad car sitting on the school grounds seems to be half the battle in turning one of these pieces of garbage from active shooter into suicides.

Or maybe allowing teachers to be armed as well ...

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
They could put pressure on the local police department and school board.  They could put forward the discussion about how we should address security in our schools.  I feel that while the threat is a statistical anomaly, we chose to believe "it can never happen here." 

I believe that armed staff is certainly the most economical counter to such a threat.  I'd prefer in many ways an actual police officer.  I think a lot of our communities would be well served growing up seeing a police officer as a guardian rather than a harasser or even a threat...

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
People say crap all the time, if police acted on all of it they'd never have time for anything else as they chase one bogus story after another. At the time Lanza said this, there was no crime. Lanza's mother owned her guns legally. Lanza had not done anything wrong yet, what should the police have done? Scramble the SWAT team and break down the door to haul Lanza off in cuffs because someone says he said something?

I wonder how many people would have this response if it had been a Muslim immigrant. Oh well, nothing to be done. "Allahu Akbar" I guess is scarier than "I plan to kill my mom".

jasonr

• All Members
    • View Profile
Oh well, nothing to be done. "Allahu Akbar" I guess is scarier than "I plan to kill my mom"

Well yes, by definition a threat to one specific person is scarier to the public than a threat against the public. Perfectly logical.

LetterRip

• All Members
    • View Profile
I think you all need to reread the quote,

She said she overheard Lanza say that he "planned to kill his mother and children at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Connecticut."

So no, not just his mom.

jasonr

• All Members
    • View Profile
I think you all need to reread the quote,

She said she overheard Lanza say that he "planned to kill his mother and children at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Connecticut."

So no, not just his mom.

Reread the specific quote that I was replying to.

Oh well, nothing to be done. "Allahu Akbar" I guess is scarier than "I plan to kill my mom"

I took it to be making a general comment that the public irrationally fears terrorist type violence more than more common types - along the lines of why aren't we as concerned about gang violence as truck bombs or mass shootings despite a much larger body count. I disagreed with this point.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:04:37 AM by jasonr »

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
I was paraphrasing. I could have said "plan to kill my mom and some other people". It doesn't materially change my point.