Author Topic: Is America “sphere of influence" in the middle east coming to an end.  (Read 623 times)

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
Just curious as to what others think
Personally I think it’s the likely outcome of the Trump administration and something I’m ok with.

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Is America “sphere of influence" in the middle east coming to an end.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
As long as there's oil, America will be deeply involved in the ME. The Trump administration just orchestrated the defeat of ISIS and liberated the middle east from its threat, making good on promises to help the ME. If this success continues, we'll see America likely become even more influential there.

Wayward Son

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 06:34:58 PM »
Of course, whatever points Trump got from orchestrating the use of ME troops to fight ISIS was pretty much thrown away by his declaration of moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

Now the Palestinians (and all their supporters) see us as being as neutral as Netanyahu. :)

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
Have we ever been neutral about it though?  I mean, we're (were?  mostly?) pro-stability, but have we ever been neutral?

DJQuag

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
Have we ever been neutral about it though?  I mean, we're (were?  mostly?) pro-stability, but have we ever been neutral?

No, you're right. We've always been pro Israel, sometimes to our moral detriment.

The issue here is Trump removing even the stability part of our position.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
I wasn't defending Trump throwing gasoline on a fire, just don't think we need to attribute more blame than is his due.   :P

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »
As long as there's oil, America will be deeply involved in the ME. The Trump administration just orchestrated the defeat of ISIS and liberated the middle east from its threat, making good on promises to help the ME. If this success continues, we'll see America likely become even more influential there.

I don't think that really is the case anymore, honestly. Oil is still a concern, but I'm not so certain we're going to be going to war over it anytime in the foreseeable future. With the Advent of Fracking reaching a price-point where it is competitive with market rates for other oil sources, we'll simply start fracking and produce more oil domestically(we were actually starting to export oil again briefly before OPEC and company glutted the market to put those operations under). Likewise, we, and the rest of the world, are starting to transition away from Oil, so its strategic importance is in decline.

And as that declines, the Middle East begins to matter less.