Author Topic: Trump New Speak  (Read 149 times)

Wayward Son

• All Members
    • View Profile
Trump New Speak
« on: December 18, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
As you doubtlessly know, the Trump Administration has told the CDC to stop using the words “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

P.Z. Myers has a few questions about it.

Why? This is strangely like telling someone “Don’t think of an elephant” — don’t think of a vulnerable transgender fetus with your evidence-based brain, people! So what are the scientists at the CDC supposed to think when, for instance, they see statistics on Zika-induced developmental abnormalities? As Tara Smith points out, scientists were also given alternatives: instead of talking about science, they should say “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes”. So we’re supposed to consider what people wish were true? All right, I wish I had the body of a 30 year old and a million dollars.

Damn. Doesn’t seem to be having an effect.

But I also want to know why those specific seven words. Why not “homosexual”, “abortion”, “euthanasia”, “pollution”, “climate change”, “infertility”, and “tampons”, which conservatives would also find enraging? What specific input triggered the need to dictate censorship of these words?

Who? This edict came from somewhere, from someone who thinks they have the power to police the language...

What’s next? If they think they can purge a useful, non-ideological word like “vulnerable”, there’s nothing to stop them from getting rid of all of the substance coming out of work from scientific organizations and replacing it with nothing but bureaucratic glurge, which, it wouldn’t surprise me, might be their real goal.

It will be fun to see the CDC simply gets around this silly ban with phrases and euphemisms.  Did the person who created this rule really believe he could censor thoughts and facts by banning words?  Or was he just trying not to hurt the sensibilities of Republican congressmen?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Trump New Speak
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »
So, no, they didn't tell CDC to stop using those words. This came from NYTimes:

“It’s absurd and Orwellian, it’s stupid and Orwellian, but they are not saying to not use the words in reports or articles or scientific publications or anything else the C.D.C. does,” the former official said. “They’re saying not to use it in your request for money because it will hurt you. It’s not about censoring what C.D.C. can say to the American public. It’s about a budget strategy to get funded.”

So it is grant proposal advice, and probably pretty prudent advice at that.

article

Seriati

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
Yes, this was a total fake news headline.  It go quick penetration though, had 3 different people mention it at a small party yesterday

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:38:34 PM »
Yeah, Washington Post, kind of like Mother Jones but still trying to look legit.

I see P.Z Meyers is still letting it run without correction, propagating the fake news to the willing - aling with a nice shot of fear mongering. He’s got it all. It would be laughable if not for the danger it represents.

;D