Author Topic: What are Democrats running on in 2020?  (Read 61907 times)

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: What are Democrats running on in 2020?
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2019, 07:55:47 AM »

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »

tl;dr

Crunch fabricates positions of the Democratic Party.

I’m basically summarizing what the candidates are literally saying. Seriously, take a few minutes to watch them campaign and hear for yourself. I’m simplifying for brevity but it’s accurate.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
Well, props to this guy, he managed to get my Attention, although I'm not enamored with his full platform, his background is respectable enough:
https://www.yang2020.com/

Or just the first few minutes of him talking to Joe Rogan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsEzmFamZ8

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »
Andrew Yang came out strongly against circumcision, surely one of the most pressing political and social issues of our time. He even doubled down on this by agreeing on Thursday to debate right-wing Wunderkind Ben Shapiro on the subject.

I guess ... maybe that polled well somehow? I don’t know much about Yang but, seriously, why’s he the anti-circumcision candidate? Is this a big issue we need to address in 2020?

Vote Yang, save your wang!  Catchy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:52:14 PM by Crunch »

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
Yang's main issue is actually UBI, and it's actually refreshing to listen/watch him on Joe Rogan right now. He doesn't sound like your typical Democrat.

In a lot of ways, he sounds a lot like Obama did in late 2007.

Only unlike Obama this guy's been doing business for much of his adult life.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2019, 07:33:49 PM »
As I'm chewing through that Joe Rogan video:
https://youtu.be/cTsEzmFamZ8?t=2962

Cavuto over on Fox Business has spoken to him as well (not (entirely) on the same topic as above, closely related though):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x3Hx8i2FhA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:36:27 PM by TheDeamon »

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
So another Democrat is officially running. And she starts her campaign by call Donald Trump a coward?

Standing up against the full weight and might of the main stream media and much popular culture/society is cowardice?

On what planet is that the act of a coward?

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2019, 11:29:19 PM »
Planet Quora

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »
“He demonizes the vulnerable and he punches down. He puts his name in bold on every building,” Gillibrand said. “He does all of this because he wants you to believe he is strong. He is not. Our president is a coward.”

I've got a lot of adjectives for Trump that are not complimentary, but coward is not one of them.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." — Inigo Montoya

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »
I'm not sure.  The way he lashes out when things don't appear to be going well can't be completely attributed to stratagem.  Being fearless is not the same as a total unwillingness to believe things won't work out in his favor.

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2019, 02:41:08 PM »
I would call Trump a Bully and most bullies are Cowards... I don't know... I'd have to see how Trump responds to physical danger and or truly felt something could hurt him.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »
I would call Trump a Bully and most bullies are Cowards... I don't know... I'd have to see how Trump responds to physical danger and or truly felt something could hurt him.

By that measure a LOT of Democrats are cowards.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2019, 06:22:18 PM »
I never really bought into the bullies are mostly cowards idea. There are some bullies that only prey on the weak, certainly. Trump is clearly willing to take on people equally or more powerful than himself.

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »
Trump mannerism and rhetoric style just reminds me of the school yard bully and in that mentality as someone that can dish it out but not take it.
OMG the man can play the victim when opponents speak to him as he tend to speak about them.
As well I think most bullies live in fear and for all his swagger I suspect Trump is a man of fear

I'm a freaking coward and don't pretend otherwise. But you got me, other people being cowards or bullies makes it ok

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
I'm a freaking coward and don't pretend otherwise. But you got me, other people being cowards or bullies makes it ok

I wasn't speaking of "the rank and file" I was talking about the Elected Democratic Officials.

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
By that measure a LOT of Democrats are cowards

I suspect so however I'm not sure what that has to do with Trump being a coward or not a coward.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:06:51 PM by rightleft22 »

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »
The whole thing about bullies being cowards at heart is just what we tell the crybabies to make them feel morally superior, take the sting out of that little owie. Jesus, didn't any of you realize that? Oh, and Santa's not real, it's time you knew. :o

As for Trump's being a coward, look at the onslaught he's endured over the last 2 years. It has been relentless, around the clock. 24x7x365. Vicious and completely unhinged from the news media, Hollywood, social media.  All with the goal of putting him and his entire family behind bars - up to and including some wishful thinking of putting his young son in a cage with a bunch of pedophiles so he can be gang-raped. How many of you would have had the courage to get out there every day in that kind of onslaught? Think about the balls it took to take that kind of bull*censored* and still come out swinging, fighting back.

Trump may be a lot of things, crass, boorish, bullying, petty, the list goes on. But a coward, no. Dude has some serious balls.

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
You have a point. I certainly could not have handled the attention but then I would never have sought it.
Still I feel Trump is a coward even though your argument is better then mine. Its a feeling, something about his need...

The whole thing about bullies being cowards at heart is just what we tell the crybabies
I think the thinking goes that most bullies act from a place of fear to which they react with 'fight'. The cowardice being the fear of dealing with the real issues and instead projecting it outwards onto others. Of course eventual it becomes learned behavior especially when you get the behavior to work for you. From a early age Trump discovered how effective the preemptive strike could be and he hasn't tried to learn do and be better.  But then why should he

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »
Still I feel Trump is a coward even though your argument is better then mine. Its a feeling, something about his need...

This right here is how you get Russia collusion hoaxes.

Wayward Son

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »
But if the election were held today, he’d likely ride to a second term in a huge landslide, according to multiple economic models with strong track records of picking presidential winners and losses.

Credit a strong U.S. economy featuring low unemployment, rising wages and low gas prices -- along with the historic advantage held by incumbent presidents.

That's not as strong a prediction as you think, Crunch.  Per the same Politico article:

Trump has already upended many of the rules of presidential politics. His party suffered a drubbing in last year’s midterm elections despite the strong economy, and the yawning gap between how voters view the president and the nation’s economic standing is growing even larger: Presidents typically just aren’t this unpopular when the economic engine is humming along.

Trump this week seized on a new CNN poll that showed more than seven in 10 Americans, or 71 percent, view the U.S. economy as “very good” or “somewhat good.” That was higher than CNN has measured at any point since a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll in Feb. 2001 found 80 percent thought the economy was that robust.

Yet Trump’s approval rating in the poll — which is usually tied closely to the economy — is just 42 percent. And unlike during the late ’90s, when President Bill Clinton’s approval ratings surged ahead of his personal favorability amid major scandal, Trump’s favorable ratings (41 percent in the CNN poll) track closely with his job-approval rating.

Those low scores also apply to many attributes typically seen as desirable in presidents. Just 40 percent say Trump cares about people like them; 34 percent say he is honest and trustworthy; 41 percent say he can manage the government effectively; and 32 percent say he will unite the country, not divide it.

Moreover, even how Americans view the state of the country has become divorced from the economy. In the latest POLITICO/Morning Consult poll, only 36 percent of voters said the U.S. was headed in the right direction, compared with nearly two-thirds, 64 percent, who said it was off on the wrong track.

For the economic models to be correct, voters would have to shrug off much of what they dislike about Trump and decide the strength of the economy makes a change unwise.

Prominent Democrats know that while Trump might seem like a loose cannon faced with the threat of a devastating report from special counsel Robert Mueller, he will likely be a formidable opponent in 2020, especially if the economy remains close to where it is today.

“Despite the fact that Trump is a largely incompetent clown, Democrats should not be overly confident or sanguine that they can beat him,” said Dan Pfeiffer, a top aide to former President Barack Obama. “He is a slight favorite to win. But he barely won last time and it took a Black Swan series of events to make that happen. All Democrats have to do is flip 100,000 or so votes in three states to win and that’s a very doable thing.”
(Emphasis mine.)

Under a normal President, these economic indicators would be strong.  But Trump is anything but a normal President.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »
And we're back to "those polls may not mean what you think they mean"

Like "the country is headed in the right/wrong direction" may be as much a response to what the Democrats are doing as it is a response to Trump. It's very likely it actually is a response to both.

That doesn't signal an advantage to Democrats. That signals major hazards for both parties, and that those voters will likely either break for the one they consider to be the "lesser evil" or simply not vote. (Like happened in three certain states in 2016)

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »
This right here is how you get Russia collusion hoaxes.

Was Russian Interference also a hoax?

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2019, 03:18:36 PM »
Was Russian Interference also a hoax?

Was the British Interference?  8)

I don't think anybody on here disputed that Russia was trying to cause mayhem. What we were disputing was that Russia seeking to cause mayhem in the American electoral process != collusion.

Mueller found evidence of interference, he didn't find evidence of collusion.

Wayward Son

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
And we're back to "those polls may not mean what you think they mean"

Like "the country is headed in the right/wrong direction" may be as much a response to what the Democrats are doing as it is a response to Trump. It's very likely it actually is a response to both.

That doesn't signal an advantage to Democrats. That signals major hazards for both parties, and that those voters will likely either break for the one they consider to be the "lesser evil" or simply not vote. (Like happened in three certain states in 2016)

Yep.  The polls may not mean what we think they mean. 

And the economic models that showed a correlation with those polls may not be correct, either.

Which means those models may not be as reliable as they once were. :)

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
What we were disputing was that Russia seeking to cause mayhem in the American electoral process != collusion
Interesting. I don't know anyone who made the Logical connection that Russian interference = Collusion 

The stink or smoke of collusion was Russian interference + Administration denial/disinterest/seeming lack of concern regarding said interference + Administrations Russian links and odd behavior/lying/fear about those links = investigation for possible collusion.

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »
Ok, I see 2 issues the Democrats are adding to the mix:

Reparations and MS-13 gang members are nice boys.

Did these test well somehow? I get trying to buy the black vote by pandering about reparations but defending MS-13, that’s not gonna play well.

Fenring

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
I forget what thread featured most of the discussion about Biden and his prospects at the Presidency, but here's yet another video, this time from yesterday, featuring why he would be destroyed in he ended up being to Dem candidate (and incidentally why he should not be President):

https://www.thecut.com/2019/05/biden-tells-10-year-old-girl-shes-good-looking.html

During said town hall, a 10-year-old girl questioned Biden on the apparent divisions within the country, to which Biden responded, after some remarks about immigration, “I’ll bet you’re as bright as you are good-looking.” Then Biden put his hands on her shoulders for an uncomfortably long amount of time!

Here's the a video clip which should be set to begin at the right time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbuARfHQ82s&feature=youtu.be&t=2600

Check out some of his signature moves, which include the usual 'fatherly' comment about her looks, followed by hands on her shoulders for a very long time along with gentle rubbing, and finally the trademarked whispering into her ear with his head turned in toward hers. I've seen him do this on video umpteen times so for those wondering this is not some cherry-picked item. I have to say it's turned my stomach every time I see it.

How crazy is the DNC to even consider propping him up like Hillary?

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
Dude, why can’t he quit being creepy and touching girls? What the hell?

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
It certainly is creepy but not unique.

Fenring

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
It certainly is creepy but not unique.

I don't know that Trump has a track record of incidents like this, and actually I'd be a bit surprised if he did. But let's assume you're right and that he and Biden are the same in this respect: shouldn't that speak for itself for anyone voting Dem?

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »
I wish Biden would step down. He can't beat Trump

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
I wouldn't vote for Biden.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »
Just like with Hillary I'd vote for him if he were on the ticket, but I hope he doesn't make it that far.

Seriati

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2019, 05:35:44 PM »
Biden's big advantage is that he doesn't put off Trump's cross over voters.  He has the credentials and  can appeal to gruff blue collar union workers.  He can be as blunt as Trump.  He's not as big a risk to the right and the moderates as the other full on leftist loons that seem to be front runners.

I think he can beat Trump, mostly because of being able to appeal to the same demographics and not being frightening.

There are plenty of nominees that will lose the middle.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Probably just wishful thinking but my opinion is votes up for grabs that can make the most difference are the apathetic ones, not the ones who can be wooed as long as you don't upset them.  I think there's far more out there who don't think it much matters who wins... to those a "safe bet" like Biden isn't going motivate them.  Trump didn't upset trends because he was a safe bet.  People saw something different.  Granted, that concerned many on the left, but he sure as hell wasn't worried about frightening anyone.  (Accept when he intended to I guess.)

ScottF

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2019, 01:06:26 AM »
Probably just wishful thinking but my opinion is votes up for grabs that can make the most difference are the apathetic ones, not the ones who can be wooed as long as you don't upset them.  I think there's far more out there who don't think it much matters who wins... to those a "safe bet" like Biden isn't going motivate them.  Trump didn't upset trends because he was a safe bet.  People saw something different.  Granted, that concerned many on the left, but he sure as hell wasn't worried about frightening anyone.  (Accept when he intended to I guess.)

I agree with this. The middle probably isn’t motivated enough to activate and the anti Trump core won’t vote Biden because of his age, gender and race.

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2019, 07:29:20 AM »
Biden has a lot of baggage that gives good ammunition to any opponent. The Democrats mosr vocal and active base despise white people, especially men. I’m not sure how he overcomes that prejudice other than not being Trump which won’t help him in the primary but the DNC very well may rig the game in favor of Creepy Joe as they did for Hillary.

Independents and middle of the road types are riding what is literally the best economy in American history. That’s a huge headwind to overcome for Biden or any democrat but the media will be there to help, not sure if they can.

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2019, 07:29:46 AM »
Well, I really didn’t see this coming

At a campaign event in Ottumwa, Iowa, Biden expressed the difficulty one faces with a "loss" of a family member and others attempt to comfort them saying, "'I know how you feel'" when in reality they have "no idea how I feel," which is likely in reference to the loss of his son Beau Biden, who died in 2015 from brain cancer.

"That's why I've worked so hard in my career to make sure that... I promise you if I'm elected president, you're going to see the single most important thing that changes America, we're gonna cure cancer," Biden declared.

Elect Biden and he’ll cure cancer.  He’s serious. Wanna cure cancer? vote Joe.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
But what if they DID cure cancer?  Without a health care system that works for the people, only the rich and powerful would get the cure.  :P 

I agree it was a *censored*ed up thing to say.  "I'll make cancer research a priority of my administration."  Sure.  "I'll see to it we increase funding in medical research."  Groovy.  Announcing a moon-shot of cancer cure, or worse, as you frame it, something HE brings to the table, is messed up.  Personal grief/loss doesn't grant you magical powers to do what we've failed to do so far... apparently out of lack of moxy?

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »
There very well might be a cancer cure in the pipeline already. At least it works exceedingly well in mice so far. But that doesn't mean it's either scalabe, or lacking in detrimental side effects in humans(or the matter that just because it works in mice doesn't mean it'll work on humans). Although the significant increase in both health-span and life-span of the mice in general also is worth taking note of.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
Should clarify, although I wish i knew where the information for that particular undertaking wandered off to. The mice in the study didn't really exceed previous life expectancy for the type of mouse. Instead what happened was significantly more(practically all) of the mice lived to see the top range of their previous life expectancy compared to their control group cohort. IIRC, they were going for a fast track on human trials involving prostate cancer as their first target as of a year ago.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »
HPV causes 6 kinds of cancer.

As far as I know, it is only republicans like Michelle Bachman and Mike Pence who want to stop a cure for those cancers.

As far as I know, it is only republicans who want to halt embryonic stem cell research that could lead to a cure for cancer.

It is only republicans who want to limit access to healthcare.

Republicans blocked a bill to help 9/11 first responders with their access to cancer treatment.

Is Biden overstating? Sure. But it is jarring to see criticism of bombastic claims from a Trump supporter.

Seriati

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »
But what if they DID cure cancer?  Without a health care system that works for the people, only the rich and powerful would get the cure.

Lol, socialized health will never generate a cure for cancer.  If they did you'd be looking to those systems to generate cures, not the US.  Scientific development isn't exclusively a result of investment, but it's probably the single biggest factor influencing it. 

And it's be clearly established by US medical history, that capitalist driven medical advances have always become more affordable and widely distributed overtime.  That's why, for example, you get cutting edge cures in US markets, with older options widely available, while the socialist markets frequently lag the cutting edge.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »
Great. Let's cure cancer for the top 80% or fewer. As it is, we've figured out how to treat diabetes (yay) and many people can't get generic insulin (boo). Never mind all the go-fund-me pages for sick kids even when there is insurance.

Don't even get me started on the older options trickling down. Drug companies have become very adept at making sure their drugs are delayed or prevented from entering the public domain using a variety of techniques.

Seriati

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »
A cure for cancer isn't coming from a socialist medicine regime, of it does it'll be decades later than a capitalist system would have developed it (and that curve gets longer and longer with each new treatment needed).

I looked at insulin last time you brought this up.  You can get it on a $4 a month payment at Walmart.  You can also get cutting edge insulin treatments with automatic monitoring and delivery on most insurance plans.  Meanwhile in the socialist UK, they had turned down the leading edge of treatment (including the automated delivery system) on the theory that the current level was a better price efficiency (cause they have to ration).  So yeah in the US everyone can get a treatment the vast majority get a better treatment than in the UK.

I get it some people want socialist medicine.  It has it's qualities, but why the need to pretend that it does everything good?  It doesn't.  It flat out sucks at generating new treatments, improving treatments, increasing medical quality and delivering innovation to customers when you compare it to  a market based system.  Make your argument on the real merits, not on pretending its better than it is.

I do agree with you on the drug company manipulations.  That's a direct result of piss poor governmental manipulation in the market.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2019, 11:59:42 PM »
The price of modern versions of a drug that more than 7 million Americans need to live nearly tripled from 2002 to 2013, according to one study. Type 1 diabetics paid an average of $5,705 for insulin in 2016

Most definitely not $4 at Walmart.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2019, 03:30:21 AM »
As far as I know, it is only republicans who want to halt embryonic stem cell research that could lead to a cure for cancer.

From what I understand, from people in the field who are rather apolitical, the embryonic stem cell lines are "problematic" for numerous reasons, and NOT likely to present any meaningful treatment outcomes because their genetic makeup is different from the patient being treated.

You're presenting 20 year old arguments, the scientific community has moved on, yes there is still research happening down that pathway, as good science will continue to explore all options, but as the science stands today, it isn't likely to be a very good one. Of course, I'm sure someone doing such research may tell you otherwise, but most others are likely to disagree with them.

The new thing is all about adult stem cells, or inducing cells to revert back to being stem cells, as those would be an exact genetic match for the patient.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2019, 03:33:50 AM »
Great. Let's cure cancer for the top 80% or fewer. As it is, we've figured out how to treat diabetes (yay) and many people can't get generic insulin (boo). Never mind all the go-fund-me pages for sick kids even when there is insurance.

Don't even get me started on the older options trickling down. Drug companies have become very adept at making sure their drugs are delayed or prevented from entering the public domain using a variety of techniques.

Some of the senescence researchers may have inadvertently found a cure for several forms of Type 1 Diabetes. They may not be needing insulin injections for much longer.

And the problem there is patent law as it relates to medical research. Patent law in general is being abused in all kinds of ways and is in desperate need of reform.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
To clarify, the patent law comment pertains to insulin, not what I opened with. Posting while tired doesn't lead to great coherence.