Author Topic: Oh, Beto!  (Read 169 times)

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
Oh, Beto!
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
Beto is in and it’s a dream come true for the media. They haven’t loved a guy like this since Obama. Check out that vanity fair cover story if you want to see how this campaign is gonna go.

I dunno if America is ready for this guy. He was 26 when he went full DUI by wrecking his car a then trying to flee the scene. Good guy.  They’ll whitewash this. Watch him when he talks, it’s like watching a jittery 8 year old do the floss. It’s weird and off putting. He talks about how he was born to be president. He’s destiny....nothing too crazy about that.

I’m kind of looking forward to national campaign Beto, it’s gonna be entertaining.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, Beto!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
I've enjoyed his commentary on the US Constitution.

For the wrong reasons from his POV.

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »
Beto voiced support for the Green New Deal today: “This is our final chance.”

So we got a guy that’s on record as saying it’s essentially his destiny to be president and if you don’t vote for him we’re all gonna die.

The left loves him, he’s in the running at the moment.

It’s parody made real.

DonaldD

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
if you don’t vote for him we’re all gonna die.
Don't be dense.  Our last chance to avoid massive changes to climate affecting hundreds of millions of people does not equate to "we are all gonna die".

Of course, if you really do care about avoiding massive undocumented immigration, you would absolutely support policies that would reduce the risk of making vast swathes of Central and South America un-livable (not to mention Florida and major coastal cities in the USA).

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 12:55:11 PM »
IDK I've heard some statements by people that are getting harder and harder to separate from hyperbole as far as the "we're all gonna die... like soon!" predictions.  :P

It's nutty, but it is out there.  And that's good enough for Crunch to paint every Democrat with the brush!  :D

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:59:18 PM »
Don't you realize its only one small step from "a few people might die" to "we're all gonna die"?

I can think of about seven things in current affairs that could fit this category.

Wayward Son

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 01:33:39 PM »
Besides, I don't care if it's only "a few people who might die" if I happen to be one of the few!  :o

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 03:00:34 PM »
So we got a guy that’s on record as saying it’s essentially his destiny to be president and if you don’t vote for him we’re all gonna die.

We are all going to die, I think that's how life works but don't fact check me on that.   :P

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times.
But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien,

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 03:23:45 PM »

We are all going to die, I think that's how life works but don't fact check me on that.   :P

;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMFST20xHwk

Aubrey DeGrey thinks "Robust Mouse Rejuvenation" is probably less than 3 years out. He's also started moving the clock forward for Human Rejuvenation, he's thinking it could be available in "about 18 years." RMR, as recently as a year ago, was predicted by him to be 3 to 6 years out. As to human Rejuvenation, that had been 25 years away "after we became serious about researching it" and while it hasn't yet reached the "serious research" (funding) point Aubrey would like, the underlying science appears to have advanced enough in the mean time that it's largely moot.

That and the results they're starting to get are making it very hard to ignore in medical/science circles.

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 05:48:18 PM »
if you don’t vote for him we’re all gonna die.
Don't be dense.  Our last chance to avoid massive changes to climate affecting hundreds of millions of people does not equate to "we are all gonna die".

Let’s see ...

Beto:
This is the final chance,” the failed Senate candidate from Texas advised. “The scientists are absolutely unanimous on this — that we have no more than 12 years to take incredibly bold action on this crisis. My gratitude to them for the young people who stepped up to offer such a bold proposal to meet such a grave challenge.”

He concluded, ‘”Not to be melodramatic, but the future of the world depends on us right now here where we are. So, yes, let’s find a way to do this.”
There’s just no future for the world unless we get Beto.

NY Mag:
The alarming new report you may have read about this week from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change — which examines just how much better 1.5 degrees of warming would be than 2 — echoes the charge. “Amplifies” may be the better term. Hundreds of millions of lives are at stake, the report declares, should the world warm more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, which it will do as soon as 2040, if current trends continue. Nearly all coral reefs would die out, wildfires and heat waves would sweep across the planet annually, and the interplay between drought and flooding and temperature would mean that the world’s food supply would become dramatically less secure. Avoiding that scale of suffering, the report says, requires such a thorough transformation of the world’s economy, agriculture, and culture that “there is no documented historical precedent.” The New York Times declared that the report showed a “strong risk” of climate crisis in the coming decades; in Grist, Eric Holthaus wrote that “civilization is at stake.”

If you are alarmed by those sentences, you should be — they are horrifying. But it is, actually, worse than that — considerably worse. That is because the new report’s worst-case scenario is, actually, a best case. In fact, it is a beyond-best-case scenario.

See that, hundreds of millions of lives at stake - that’s not even best case! So many more will die!

There’s tons more like that, google “global warming human extinction” and see for yourself. Get informed n

Wayward Son

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
Hundreds of millions of lives--yes, that sounds about right.  Between increased desertification, increased floods, higher sea levels, increased areas of diseases, increased wildfires, more severe hurricanes--each of those is going to take a chunk of humanity.  So, yeah, it's going to affect all of us, and many of us will die.

But that is far short of "We're all going to die."  That would be on the order of thousands of millions.

And even then, I would imagine that quite a few humans would survive.  We are an adaptable species.

But you and me, yours and mine, probably won't survive, if it keeps going.  Maybe not at 2 degrees warming, although we will be feeling it.  It might take a 4 degrees increase, or 6, or 8, or maybe 10 or 12.  There is no limit if we keep adding CO2 to the atmosphere.  So, eventually. :(

But not all of us, not right now.  Don't be overly dramatic.  It's bad enough as it is. :(

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »
Actually what they said in that report is that 250,000 people might die each year. Not hundreds of millions. When they state that hundreds of millions of people will be affected, they are not wrong.

Mostly deaths from malnutrition, heat stress, and malaria. Mostly not in the US, so America Firsters need not be concerned.

The biggest problem with rising sea levels isn't putting coastal cities underwater like Atlantis, it is the amount of storm surge. Except for the Maldives. They average only 4 feet above sea level, and they'll lose an inch of that every decade. But who cares, that's not in America either.

Honestly, my most fervent wish is that the climate change deniers have it right. That all the measurements are messed up, that CO2 is actually tasty and fun, and that we aren't fracking ourselves into a miserable future. Because it kind of looks like that's the only way we'll avoid it.

I really doubt any political will to really do much about it, no matter who gets into office.

DonaldD

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 06:48:12 PM »
Again, don't be dense.  In a trivial sense, "the future of the world depends on us right now here where we are" is always true.  But clearly, O'Rourke was being more dramatic.  Maybe he was even suggesting that hundreds of millions of people would be affected, or just that vast swathes of the Earth would become uninhabitable.

But to jump directly from "the future of the world depends on us" to there being "no" future for the world is completely crunchian.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 10:17:52 PM »
/yawns

Hundreds of Million of lives may be at stake, if the projections are right. Of course, if the projections are right, those lives are probably still at risk even if we took net emissions down to zero. Of course, the "other factor" is the vast overwhelming majority of those lives are only at stake if they refuse to leave where they're living currently, "when the time comes."

So it isn't hundreds of millions are going to die. It's hundreds of millions are going to be displaced.

The threat to life comes into play with "more extreme weather events" which "are more destructive than they have been historically."

Which is a bit of another /yawn item. We know how to build for this stuff, we just tend to be cheapskates and fail to build robustly enough. Further, the costs in some cases can often be rather trivial, such as the use of 2, 3 or even 4 nails where only 1 nail would have been used previously(very hard to retrofit, very easy to do at time of construction). Other possible adjustments are more exotic, and more expensive, at least for now, but then there is that whole matter of "economy of scale" and many of those more robust options don't have it(scale).

But then, I guess I'm an heartless extremist because I don't think pursuing options which are not economically viable is a good course to set either. If you believe the doom and gloom predictions, start pushing for adaptation. Build at higher elevations, build for protection from flash flooding and/or storm surge. Don't allow building in flood plains, or require them to build with flooding in mind.

Yes, it requires a different mindset, but its doable, and likely at a much lower (global) cost, than the boondoggle that much of the developed world seems to be hellbent on pursuing. They're depleting resources that would have been better served being directed at adaptation. But since adaptation is even more politically challenging(and also expensive), they won't touch it, so the focus is on emission reductions instead. With often questionable returns on investment, and even longer-term costs that are likely to make adaptation even less affordable once it becomes unavoidable.

That and the other "other" elephant in the room.

How many people are aware that solar power has a warming effect on the surrounding area wherever they're installed?
How many people are aware that wind power has a warming effect on the surrounding area wherever they're installed?
How many people are aware of the waste streams both forms of "green energy" produce over the course of their lifecycle?
How many people are aware of the mind boggling among of land area that would need to be dedicated to these power sources if they were to achieve what they hope for?

Get back to me when they're ready to take a serious look at Nuclear, be it Fission or Fusion. Anybody thinking they're going to save the planet with renewables is either stupid or insane. The numbers don't add up, and they'll never scale to where they'd be needed in order to halt the warming process.

Note: The warming effect for solar and wind is noted as "preferable to CO2 emissions from other sources, particularly coal" and their net warming "is lower than a Coal plant alternative," and stops once the Renewable facility is torn down/replaced. But it still helps warm things up in the interim, and there is that whole production/maintenance/end of life waste stream to contend with all the same.

DonaldD

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 06:59:05 AM »
Of course, the "other factor" is the vast overwhelming majority of those lives are only at stake if they refuse to leave where they're living currently, "when the time comes."
And this, of course, is a trivial consideration  ::)

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »
Hundreds of millions of lives--yes, that sounds about right.  Between increased desertification, increased floods, higher sea levels, increased areas of diseases, increased wildfires, more severe hurricanes--each of those is going to take a chunk of humanity.  So, yeah, it's going to affect all of us, and many of us will die.

But that is far short of "We're all going to die."  That would be on the order of thousands of millions.

And even then, I would imagine that quite a few humans would survive.  We are an adaptable species.

But you and me, yours and mine, probably won't survive, if it keeps going.  Maybe not at 2 degrees warming, although we will be feeling it.  It might take a 4 degrees increase, or 6, or 8, or maybe 10 or 12.  There is no limit if we keep adding CO2 to the atmosphere.  So, eventually. :(

But not all of us, not right now.  Don't be overly dramatic.  It's bad enough as it is. :(

Hundreds of millions are gonna die but don’t be so dramatic. ROFLMAO.

You’re not using enough emoticons in that one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:32:08 AM by Crunch »

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 08:31:51 AM »
Again, don't be dense.  In a trivial sense, "the future of the world depends on us right now here where we are" is always true.  But clearly, O'Rourke was being more dramatic.  Maybe he was even suggesting that hundreds of millions of people would be affected, or just that vast swathes of the Earth would become uninhabitable.

But to jump directly from "the future of the world depends on us" to there being "no" future for the world is completely crunchian.

Oh my god, i hope you’re a beto guy.

Global warming and Jussie Smollet are exactly the same.

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 08:38:30 AM »
Beto O’Rourke said Friday he is “not … proud” of fiction he wrote as teenager about murdering children, while acknowledging its surfacing could hurt his campaign.

“Stuff I was part of as a teenager … not anything that I’m proud of today,” O’Rourke told reporters outside a meet-and-greet here. “And I mean, that’s the long and short of it.”

O’Rourke’s remarks followed a report in Reuters that O’Rourke, as a young member of the computer hacking group Cult of the Dead Cow, wrote an online article about how society could work without money and, in a more disturbing missive, about killing children.

“One day, as I was driving home from work, I noticed two children crossing the street. They were happy, happy to be free from their troubles. ... This happiness was mine by right. I had earned it in my dreams,” he wrote, according to Reuters. “As I neared the young ones, I put all my weight on my right foot, keeping the accelerator pedal on the floor until I heard the crashing of the two children on the hood, and then the sharp cry of pain from one of the two. I was so fascinated for a moment, that when after I had stopped my vehicle, I just sat in a daze, sweet visions filling my head.”

I can’t be the only one picturing him reading this with arms flailing wildly about, that Dwight Schrute gleam in his eye, can I? Beto just has to get the nomination. 

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 12:20:17 PM »
Of course, the "other factor" is the vast overwhelming majority of those lives are only at stake if they refuse to leave where they're living currently, "when the time comes."
And this, of course, is a trivial consideration  ::)

Considering "when the time comes" is probably decades away, yes, it is pretty trivial. So long as proper adaptation measures start being taken now.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
Considering "when the time comes" is probably decades away, yes, it is pretty trivial. So long as proper adaptation measures start being taken now.

Addendum: Trivial in comparison to 1st world economies deliberately sacrificing anywhere from 0.5 to 1% of GDP growth year over year over the next 100 years in the name of mitigation and green, renewable energy, rather than adaptation.

Going with $19.39 Trillion for the United States GDP in 2017 alone, 0.5% is nearly $97 Billion.

And then there is that whole thing about compounding returns. You can't compound on something which isn't there.

But nope, we're going to mitigate, ignore adaptation, which they claim as unavoidable, and put people deep into avoidable energy poverty in the process.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »
Ok, will mea culpa for a moment on the previous. 0.5% of GDP growth would be a fraction of a fraction of total GDP. Rather than a fraction of total GDP.  So $97 Billion turns into about $2 billion assuming a 2% growth rate on the 2017 GDP number.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:32:51 PM by TheDeamon »